Re: [jasspa] Re: micro-emacs on OSX (intel)

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hi Chris,

      As promised I said I would follow up on PC keyboard on a Mac.
      I am currently using a 105 UK PC Keyboard (a Sun Microsystems USB keyboard) on a Mini Mac
      with no issues. I have been using this for a long time and could not remember if I had any issues which
      I had specifically fixed or worked around in MicroEmacs, I was not aware of any. Certainly both the delete
      and backspace keys of the keyboard are mapping correctly with the right bindings. The keys are
      correct in both an X-Windows display and native terminal window.

      So I checked out what I had installed on the Mini Mac to get the PC keyboard running with OSX (10.7.5).
      In order to get the key mappings correctly then I installed the keyboard layouts from here:

      http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/gdutton/2009/08/real-mac-uk-keyboard-layout/

      using the "Real UK - IBM/PC" configuration. Obviously if you are not using a UK 105 keyboard
      then you will have to find the appropriate keyboard map that matches your keyboard (I cannot help you with this).

      The other thing that I do on a Mac is turn off all of the accelerator keys bound to other functions that Apple enable by default.
      Turning off the accelerators enables me to use ctrl/alt+up/down/left/right etc. So I am not bothered about short cuts on the O/S
      and just require MicroEmacs to play nicely with all of the keystrokes I want to use.

      Hope that helps.

    • csynt
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
        Hi Jon,

        Cheers for this!

        I will try tomorrow this keyboard, as in fact some of the
        keys of my PC keyboard are not working correctly! like the key with |\ is on the bottom, but I have to press the left topmost (under ESC) to get these symbols...

        Its a UK (HP) "win" keyboard (PS2 in fact over USB converter)

        Kind Regards

        Chris