Re: New version

  • Pedro Gomes
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 25, 2013
      Hi Jon,
      Yeah, that would the plan :-) I don't want fancy stuff, just something a little more up to date I can play around with A snap shot is  just fine!.

      Just put it somewhere in JASSPA ftp directory (/development would be nice!) of share a Dropbox folder if you have one!

      Thanks,

      Kind Regards,
      Pedro
    • azynheira
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 7, 2013
        Hi Jon,
        When can we have the snapshot ? :P

        Kind Regards and Thanks,
        Pedro
        --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Pedro Gomes <azynheira@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jon,
        > Yeah, that would the plan :-) I don't want fancy stuff, just something a
        > little more up to date I can play around with — A snap shot is just fine!.
        >
        > Just put it somewhere in JASSPA ftp directory (/development would be nice!)
        > of share a Dropbox folder if you have one!
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kind Regards,
        > Pedro

      • Tom Hundt
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013
          You know what's going to force me to switch, eventually?  Unicode.  I sometimes deal with websites in things like Japanese and end up using GNU Emacs because it can handle that stuff.  Lisp kills me but, sometimes there's no choice.  Right now I'm taking a Korean class and wish I could type those chars in Jasspa.

          The other thing is Macintosh.  Windows PCs are such a pain in the ass, with their constant updating and slowness (and mysterious spyware leaking in through the cracks).  Linux is its own high maintenance thing, and it seems like Apple might be the best compromise (bonus: Emacs keys everywhere...). Jasspa for OSX runs on X11, which I wouldn't mind, but copying and pasting is not clean and gets screwed up pretty often.

          I still heart it, though :-D

          -Th

          On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM, azynheira <azynheira@...> wrote:
          Hi Guys,
          Is there anything new concerning JASSPA ? New version, new stuff ?

          Thanks,
          Kind Regards,
          Pedro

          ------------------------------------

          modify your account settings manually.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              jasspa-digest@yahoogroups.com
              jasspa-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698

        • isaacpei
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 18, 2013

            hi Jon and everyone,

            maybe it was suggested before, maybe we can use github for code repository? recently I checked Linus's uemacs repository, it looks like some utf-8 support is there: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/editors/uemacs/uemacs.git/log/

            I really like microemacs, though I mostly use it for quick edit as it is so Fast!

            - I just had some problem to compile and run  it on arm-based ubuntu (running on crouton in a chromebook), though the command line seems work properly, so I have to use vim, or emacs there for those scenarios. I lack I felt that is needed these days are some package system - such as package.el for emacs now make it super easy to install packages on emacs, pathogen on vim etc etc. ... just one idea (maybe others have tried ...) to embed lua/luajit in memacs, so that it can be a fast editor, plus a powerful scripting language engine ....

             Best regards,

               Isaac

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 19, 2013
              Hi Issac,

              Thanks for your message. Last build I did for Arm was for raspberry pi and I had to do a forced Linux x86 build. This then went through cleanly as per any Linux system for both console and window builds. We have not updated the dependencies for arm which is what causes a problem.

              You are right that we need a build system, now we have component libraries we have recognised this and are just starting to try and sort this out. Not quite sure what to use at the moment, obvious choice is autoconf however I do prefer the schily make system this is what I think make should be.

              As for moving the code to Git hub will have to think about that some more.

              On 18 Nov 2013, at 17:33, <isaacpei@...> wrote:

              hi Jon and everyone,

              maybe it was suggested before, maybe we can use github for code repository? recently I checked Linus's uemacs repository, it looks like some utf-8 support is there: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/editors/uemacs/uemacs.git/log/

              I really like microemacs, though I mostly use it for quick edit as it is so Fast!

              - I just had some problem to compile and run  it on arm-based ubuntu (running on crouton in a chromebook), though the command line seems work properly, so I have to use vim, or emacs there for those scenarios. I lack I felt that is needed these days are some package system - such as package.el for emacs now make it super easy to install packages on emacs, pathogen on vim etc etc. ... just one idea (maybe others have tried ...) to embed lua/luajit in memacs, so that it can be a fast editor, plus a powerful scripting language engine ....

               Best regards,

                 Isaac

              ---In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, <azynheira@...> wrote:

              Hi Jon,
              When can we have the snapshot ? :P

              Kind Regards and Thanks,
              Pedro
              --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Pedro Gomes <azynheira@...> wrote:

              > Hi Jon,
              > Yeah, that would the plan :-) I don't want fancy stuff, just something a
              > little more up to date I can play around with — A snap shot is just fine!.
              >
              > Just put it somewhere in JASSPA ftp directory (/development would be nice!)
              > of share a Dropbox folder if you have one!
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Kind Regards,
              > Pedro

            • Isaac Xin Pei
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 19, 2013
                thanks Jon, would you mind post the build script for the rasberry pi? I would like to build it on ubuntu arm port under crouton (a chroot utility to run ubuntu in chromebook).

                Thanks

                 Best regards,
                   Isaac

                --
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Isaac Xin Pei,
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 20, 2013
                  You should be able to simply do

                  ./build -m linux26.gmk

                  This should then build as per normal linux system.

                  For the pi I used the sources from
                  http://www.jasspa.com/zeroinst.html

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 20, 2013
                      Q. Does the x-window attempt to open?

                      Q. Does the X session die as soon as you move the mouse? (I have a fix for that)

                      Q. Are the standard X11 fonts installed?

                      Jon.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 20, 2013
                        thanks, here are the answer:
                        Q. Does the x-window attempt to open? - no, nothing shows up

                        Q. Does the X session die as soon as you move the mouse? (I have a fix for that) - because no gui at all, so no

                        Q. Are the standard X11 fonts installed? - not sure, just installed xfonts-base, but still the same - no showing up gui. the crouton environment is using Xephyr, and the ubuntu is using Xorg - not sure if these might be the cause?

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 20, 2013
                            Wow, it builds and runs like a charm!
                            I had been compiling the 2009 version, guess that's the issue.

                            BTW, I am wondering if we are interested to give our website an update and redesign? we can use some static site generating tools such as Jekyll or hyde (python) https://github.com/hyde/hyde ?

                            if interested, I'll start on it, and get some draft for review?

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 21, 2013

                              On 21 Nov 2013, at 02:04, Isaac Xin Pei <isaacpei@...> wrote:

                              Wow, it builds and runs like a charm!
                              I had been compiling the 2009 version, guess that's the issue.

                              I think it was an issue with the X-Windows font selection that was killing it on start up. The problem was first observed on a Fedora release and fixed.

                              BTW, I am wondering if we are interested to give our website an update and redesign? we can use some static site generating tools such as Jekyll or hyde (python) https://github.com/hyde/hyde ?

                              if interested, I'll start on it, and get some draft for review?

                              A refresh would be nice to bring us into the new millennium.
                              If you have the time then that would be good.
                              A wget of the site will enable you get the current files which are all hand crafted.