Re: [jasspa] Justification

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
      Hi Jerome,

      I am afraid not because the default setting is built into each individual file template (hkxxx.emf).

      I must admit I do not really understand what what problem you are trying to solve, as most files are conventionally left to right and only the formatted text formats performs fully justified text against both margins, hence there has never been a need to globally modify justification across all buffer modes.

      On 8 Feb 2013, at 23:19, Jerome Ibanes <jibanes@...> wrote:

      > List,
      >
      > Is it possible to entirely disable justification (set it to 'none')
      > for all the Major modes by default?
      >

      > Thank you,
      > Jerome
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • jerome_ibanes
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
        Jon

        > I must admit I do not really understand what what problem you are trying to solve, as most files are conventionally left to right and only the formatted text formats performs fully justified text against both margins, hence there has never been a need to globally modify justification across all buffer modes.

        Thank you, I will try to clarify my request.

        Other than using MicroEmacs for coding, I also use it to manage notes and documentation. As it's usually the case with technical documentation, I often paste in them some snippets of code or shell script, which often go beyond the 80 columns "limit".

        Justification then kicks-in and reformats them, which is a major inconvenience with (shell|python|perl|...) scripts.

        Because my notes/documentation are usually kept in a '.txt' file, MicroEmacs defaults to "Both Justify Mode" and I would like to make it default to "None Justify Mode" without setting this manually. Could you please point me towards the right way to address this?
        I will set it explicitly should I want justification.

        Thank you,
        Jerome
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2013
          Hi Jerome,

          Sorry for my delayed response I have been extremely busy.

          For what you described then you can change the mode of all .txt files as follows:

          a) Load up the file type that you want to change (i.e. foo.txt)
          b) From the menu tool->Major Mode Setup->Fill Mode - set to "none"
          OR
          b) M-x major-mode-setup set "Fill Mode to "none".
          c ) Save.

          After that then all .txt files will use this mode and will not wrap as you describe.

          Like you I also collect notes however I use the built in "notes" run as "M-x notes" this will create a .jasspa/<user.enf> file to save all of your notes.
          This has the advantage that you can put titles on each note hierarchically and also do syntax highlighting of code snippets with the >c> ... some code... >end> syntax.
          See "M-x help-item notes".