Re: [jasspa] MicroEmacs for 8086

    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2000
      I used to run an older uemacs (not Jasspa) on the HP200LX. Problem #1 is, it took quite a while to load!! Other annoyances include the presence of only one Control key, and the usual having to use two-key combinations to get PgUp/PgDn functionality. But, it worked...

      -Th

      [Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.) 01:33 AM 5/10/00 -0400]

      |------------------------------------------------------------------------
      |------------------------------------------------------------------------

      |__________________________________________________________________________

      |This is an unmoderated list. JASSPA is not responsible for the content of
      |
      |any material posted to this list.

    • Jon
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2000
        The short answer is no.

        The long answer is probably yes if we did a little more
        typedef'ing and it would not take that long to sort out.
        The key thing for Palmtops is working out how much
        functionality the user requires and what is the best
        size for the executable. At a guess I would suspect
        that you will require the smallest foot print possible
        and would not require:-

        spelling
        undo
        backup
        color + hilighting - ?? Do these palm tops
        do color ??
        tags
        help

        I would also assume that you would want a smaller
        macro footprint as well. I suspect that the user
        can determine what macro files they need.

        If you could let me know what sort of executable size
        would be acceptable for a palm top. In addition to
        the acceptable size for the macro files then I will
        investigate the possibility compiling a 16-bit
        version.

        As for windows CE. I have got access to the developer
        kit. I would not imagine that a port to CE would
        be that difficult - does anybody have a requirement
        for this ??

        "Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)" wrote:

        > I have 3 Palmtops running DOS (8086 compatible)
        > me.exe did not run on this computers
        > Can you compile one version only with 8086 instructions in real mode for
        > Palmtop users which do not have
        > WindowsCE?
        > Many thanks

        > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
        > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
        > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

      • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2000
          Thanks for your answer - I think the old version of uemacs
          need 70 kB
          I think 100 kB would be acceptable
          (but as small as possible)
          if the executable is much bigger than 100 kB -than I can not
          use this for all my palmtops
          but a big executable is much better than nothing !!

          I do not need
          - spelling
          - backup
          - color + hilighting - ?? Do these palm tops do color ?? answer: no
          - tags
          - help

          very find would be
          undo
          and global-bind-key
          and crypt mode

          But I don't know which macros are really necessary

          I thought there exist an windows CE version ..

          Tanks for your long answer Arne

        • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)
          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2000
            I use the [meibm.exe 69730 Bytes,emacs.rc ca 8k (uemacs)] on an HP 200 LX
            too
            but I think the jasspa version is now much much better

          • Detlef Groth
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2000
              Hello,
              <snip>
              > As for windows CE. I have got access to the developer
              > kit. I would not imagine that a port to CE would
              > be that difficult - does anybody have a requirement
              > for this ??

              Yes, I have now a requirement for a small me-executable on windows
              ce,
              providing the most neccessary stuff. It would be great to live
              without
              all these ebook readers, notetakers, adressbooks and so on and to do
              all inside me also here.

              I dont have visual-c, so I can't use the special ms-sdk for win-ce I
              suppose, so if Jon can do the job, this would be very great.
              I know there is the old uemacs for windows-ce also, but why leave a
              winning horse.

              Thanks,

              Detlef