Re: @gdiff filter -- visual diff

    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2000
      > Subject: [jasspa] @gdiff filter -- visual diff
      > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      > Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 11:39:04 -0700
      >
      > (Yeah, I know, I'm way behind the times, as usual... :-)
      >
      > I just discovered this nifty gdiff filter, which one runs using 'me @gdiff
      > file1 file2' to display the differences between two pfiles. Hoping to throw
      > away windiff/examdiff/etc. and whatever other such tools, I tried this out.
      > (Examdiff, by the way, is in my opinion excellent and freeware. Windiff comes
      > with the Windows SDK and is a Microsoft product -- probably developed on the
      > sly by one of their coders.)
      >
      > Some questions:
      >
      > Q. How does one navigate (or scroll/pan) right and left in this mode? A diff
      > in my test file is off the right side of the screen -- not visible in the
      > window. How do I get to see it?

      Currently there is no way which is a severe restriction. I reckon I could
      support the scroll-right command (bound to A-right) but ideally ME should have
      horizontal scroll bars!

      > Q. How does one edit a file to make a change? It seems this cannot be done
      > within the gdiff filter mode. I.e., I notice a change on the right side (later
      > version) and want to apply it (by typing the change) on the left side.

      The concept behind gdiff is best summarised as:

      gdiff compares two versions of a file, the user can select which version they
      what on a global, group or per line basis and then save the new version to a
      third file (which may or may not be one of the two being compared).

      Given that manually typing a change is not supported (it gets very complicated
      and nasty if the user starts inserting new lines).

      > Q. From what I understand, it looks like the way you're supposed to use the
      > tool is pick which lines you want to have in your "good" version (by tabbing
      > to the side you want to choose a difference from, and hitting L to make the
      > line green). When you save, later, the green lines are saved. Is this correct?
      > (How does one handle conflicting intra-line diffs? Is the granularity always
      > at the line level?)

      See above, yes the smallest granularity is a line.

      One possible solution to all these problems would be to have a third window as
      follows:

      +-------------+-------------+
      | | |
      | gdiff 1st | gdiff 2nd |
      | | |
      | | |
      +-------------+-------------+
      | |
      | gdiff combined |
      | |
      +---------------------------+

      The combined would show the file when saved, as the window is wider the 1st
      problem would be helped a little and if you're lucky editing of the combined
      buffer may be allowed.

      > Q. I noticed an anomaly in the context menus: Right-clicking brings up a menu.
      > Several of the options (Global, Region, Line) have subsidiary menus. When you
      > open the main menu by right-clicking near the rightmost edge of the ME window,
      > the submenus totally obscure the main menu entries. There's no way to ever get
      > to the middle (Region) submenu!

      Nice find.

      Steve