MicroEmacs for 8086

  • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2000
      I have 3 Palmtops running DOS (8086 compatible)
      me.exe did not run on this computers
      Can you compile one version only with 8086 instructions in real mode for
      Palmtop users which do not have
      WindowsCE?
      Many thanks
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2000
        I used to run an older uemacs (not Jasspa) on the HP200LX. Problem #1 is, it took quite a while to load!! Other annoyances include the presence of only one Control key, and the usual having to use two-key combinations to get PgUp/PgDn functionality. But, it worked...

        -Th

        [Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.) 01:33 AM 5/10/00 -0400]

        |------------------------------------------------------------------------
        |------------------------------------------------------------------------

        |__________________________________________________________________________

        |This is an unmoderated list. JASSPA is not responsible for the content of
        |
        |any material posted to this list.

      • Jon
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2000
          The short answer is no.

          The long answer is probably yes if we did a little more
          typedef'ing and it would not take that long to sort out.
          The key thing for Palmtops is working out how much
          functionality the user requires and what is the best
          size for the executable. At a guess I would suspect
          that you will require the smallest foot print possible
          and would not require:-

          spelling
          undo
          backup
          color + hilighting - ?? Do these palm tops
          do color ??
          tags
          help

          I would also assume that you would want a smaller
          macro footprint as well. I suspect that the user
          can determine what macro files they need.

          If you could let me know what sort of executable size
          would be acceptable for a palm top. In addition to
          the acceptable size for the macro files then I will
          investigate the possibility compiling a 16-bit
          version.

          As for windows CE. I have got access to the developer
          kit. I would not imagine that a port to CE would
          be that difficult - does anybody have a requirement
          for this ??

          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2000
            Thanks for your answer - I think the old version of uemacs
            need 70 kB
            I think 100 kB would be acceptable
            (but as small as possible)
            if the executable is much bigger than 100 kB -than I can not
            use this for all my palmtops
            but a big executable is much better than nothing !!

            I do not need
            - spelling
            - backup
            - color + hilighting - ?? Do these palm tops do color ?? answer: no
            - tags
            - help

            very find would be
            undo
            and global-bind-key
            and crypt mode

            But I don't know which macros are really necessary

            I thought there exist an windows CE version ..

            Tanks for your long answer Arne

          • Kludszuweit Dr, Arne (A.)
            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 2000
              I use the [meibm.exe 69730 Bytes,emacs.rc ca 8k (uemacs)] on an HP 200 LX
              too
              but I think the jasspa version is now much much better

            • Detlef Groth
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 14, 2000
                Hello,
                <snip>
                > As for windows CE. I have got access to the developer
                > kit. I would not imagine that a port to CE would
                > be that difficult - does anybody have a requirement
                > for this ??

                Yes, I have now a requirement for a small me-executable on windows
                ce,
                providing the most neccessary stuff. It would be great to live
                without
                all these ebook readers, notetakers, adressbooks and so on and to do
                all inside me also here.

                I dont have visual-c, so I can't use the special ms-sdk for win-ce I
                suppose, so if Jon can do the job, this would be very great.
                I know there is the old uemacs for windows-ce also, but why leave a
                winning horse.

                Thanks,

                Detlef