suddenly everything quote highlighted!

  • Reza Roboubi
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
      Occasionally all text (in C mode, let's say) becomes pink or reddish
      (quotation) highlighted. Why is that?

      Thank you in advance.

      Reza.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
        It is either
        a) Error in the syntax
        b) follows a long comment, the backwards search cannot locate the opening or closing comment bracket character causing the highlighting to get confused.

        My guess is b), you can increase the backwards search length in c.emf, but this will slow things down, but is unlikely to make much difference on modern processor hardware. When it happenes then scroll the screen up one line at a time and see when it stops doing it. This will give your better idea what is wrong and the likely starting point of the problem.

        If you are able to send some code that reproduces the issue then that would be useful.

        On 31 Oct 2011, at 08:54, Reza Roboubi <reza@...> wrote:

        > Occasionally all text (in C mode, let's say) becomes pink or reddish
        > (quotation) highlighted. Why is that?
        >
        > Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Reza.
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Reza Roboubi
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 127 Bytes
        On 11-10-31 06:11 AM, Jon Green wrote:
        > If you are able to send some code that reproduces the issue then
        that would be useful.

        Okay, the attached file will narrow it down pretty nicely. Line 52 must
        be scrolled to the top of the page and then the highlighting is wrong.
        This is the version information and buffer mode is a standard .c file:
        -------------------------
        MicroEmacs 09 - Date 2009/10/11 - linux

        Global Status:
        # buffers : 3
        Modes on : autosv backup cr fence magic tab undo
        Modes off : binary crypt ctrlz edit exact hide indent justify lf lock
        nact
        narrow over pipe rbin time view wrap

        Current Buffer Status:
        Buffer : ooo.c
        File name : /home/reza/backup/prj/proof.noauto/ooo.c
        Characters: Total 127, Current 0
        Modes on : autosv backup cr fence magic tab time undo
        Modes off : binary crypt ctrlz edit exact hide indent justify lf lock
        nact
        narrow over pipe rbin view wrap

        Copyright (C) 1988-2009 JASSPA (www.jasspa.com)
        ------------------------

        PS: The strange comment which breaks things is for real; it's related
        to how the thing must be compiled.

        Many thanks. :)

        Reza.
        Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
          On 31/10/2011 15:07, Reza Roboubi wrote:
          > On 11-10-31 06:11 AM, Jon Green wrote:
          > > If you are able to send some code that reproduces the issue then
          > that would be useful.
          > >

          > Okay, the attached file will narrow it down pretty nicely. Line 52 must
          > be scrolled to the top of the page and then the highlighting is wrong.
          > This is the version information and buffer mode is a standard .c file:
          Hi Reza,

          The issue is the look-back length in the template file. In the file scenario
          that you have posted then by scrolling to line 52 then the highlighting is
          expected to look back more than 50 lines in order to find an anchor point on
          which to base its highlighting scheme for the current line.

          If you look at hkc.emf which performs the highlighting then the template is
          defined with a 50 line look back at line 110 i.e.

          ; Hi-light C Mode
          0 hilight .hilight.c 2 50

          Parameter 1 (=.hilight.c) is the highlight number.
          Parameter 2 (=2) is the bitmask and sets the highlight look-back
          Parameter 3 (=50) is the "nol" parameter which specifies the number of lines to
          look back.

          50 is a typical value that works for most code. For your code then this is not
          enough and you could change it to perform a longer look-back. The problem in
          the file disappears if you change the look-back size to 150 (say) i.e.

          ; Hi-light C Mode
          0 hilight .hilight.c 2 150

          You can change the look-back to any value, the bigger the value the more
          processing is required so it is best to find a reasonable value. The look-back
          does stop when it finds a token.

          To fix then copy the file hkc.emf to your local .jasspa (or .jasspa/macros)
          directory and then edit it to over-ride the default file (typically in
          /usr/share/jasspa/macros/hkc.emf for linux). Re-start the editor or re-execute
          the macro file and the issue will be resolved.

          Hope that helps.

        • Reza Roboubi
          Message 5 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
            On 11-10-31 01:19 PM, Jon Green wrote:

            > On 31/10/2011 15:07, Reza Roboubi wrote:
            > > On 11-10-31 06:11 AM, Jon Green wrote:
            > > > If you are able to send some code that reproduces the issue then
            > > that would be useful.
            > > >

            > > Okay, the attached file will narrow it down pretty nicely. Line 52 must
            > > be scrolled to the top of the page and then the highlighting is wrong.
            > > This is the version information and buffer mode is a standard .c file:
            > Hi Reza,
            >
            > The issue is the look-back length in the template file. In the file
            > scenario
            > that you have posted then by scrolling to line 52 then the
            > highlighting is
            > expected to look back more than 50 lines in order to find an anchor
            > point on
            > which to base its highlighting scheme for the current line.
            >
            > If you look at hkc.emf which performs the highlighting then the
            > template is
            > defined with a 50 line look back at line 110 i.e.
            >
            > ; Hi-light C Mode
            > 0 hilight .hilight.c 2 50

            Thank you Jon. First, the problem is that the quotes are escaped.
            Without the escapes everything works. In this simple case, the easy
            work-around is to put such comments inside separate "README" files.

            The "hilight 150" look-back feature isn't _really_ for handling this
            problem, but rather, the "50" is the "largest comment size possible" in
            case that you are actually starting _inside_ a comment already.

            Eventually (if not too messy) it would be great to modify hilight to be
            globally precise and complete: hilight only needs to mark, globally and
            persistently, per-buffer, approximately every 40 lines or 400 characters
            or so. The marking says: "This Line Or Character lies outside any
            bracketed region."

            With markings like that we can _completely_ eliminate hilight's
            "look-back" parameter. The user never even needs to know about hilight
            look-backs.

            That way hilight can even scale to ridiculously huge files (for example
            preprocessed output or whatever else.)

            Reza.
            Message 6 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
              On 31 Oct 2011, at 21:33, Reza Roboubi <reza@...> wrote:

              > On 11-10-31 01:19 PM, Jon Green wrote:

              >>> that would be useful.
              >>>>

              >>> Okay, the attached file will narrow it down pretty nicely. Line 52 must
              >>> be scrolled to the top of the page and then the highlighting is wrong.
              >>> This is the version information and buffer mode is a standard .c file:
              >> Hi Reza,
              >>
              >> The issue is the look-back length in the template file. In the file
              >> scenario
              >> that you have posted then by scrolling to line 52 then the
              >> highlighting is
              >> expected to look back more than 50 lines in order to find an anchor
              >> point on
              >> which to base its highlighting scheme for the current line.
              >>
              >> If you look at hkc.emf which performs the highlighting then the
              >> template is
              >> defined with a 50 line look back at line 110 i.e.
              >>
              >> ; Hi-light C Mode
              >> 0 hilight .hilight.c 2 50
              >>

              > Thank you Jon. First, the problem is that the quotes are escaped.
              > Without the escapes everything works. In this simple case, the easy
              > work-around is to put such comments inside separate "README" files.
              >
              > The "hilight 150" look-back feature isn't _really_ for handling this
              > problem, but rather, the "50" is the "largest comment size possible" in
              > case that you are actually starting _inside_ a comment already.
              >
              > Eventually (if not too messy) it would be great to modify hilight to be
              > globally precise and complete: hilight only needs to mark, globally and
              > persistently, per-buffer, approximately every 40 lines or 400 characters
              > or so. The marking says: "This Line Or Character lies outside any
              > bracketed region."
              >
              > With markings like that we can _completely_ eliminate hilight's
              > "look-back" parameter. The user never even needs to know about hilight
              > look-backs.
              >
              > That way hilight can even scale to ridiculously huge files (for example
              > preprocessed output or whatever else.)
              >
              > Reza.

              Hi Reza,

              I do not quite agree with your analysis because the quotes are fine in the comment when the current position is less than the look-back distance away. If the quotes in the comment were generally a problem then you would expect this to cause a problem irrespective of the actual distance of the offending statement away from the comment.

              You can check out it is the look back length by changing the value to 51 and the bad highlighting is then ok. Then insert a new line into ooo.c before the statement and scroll up the window then the highlight anomaly returns. You can repeat this a few times by changing the look back and then line position.

              So I would not expect that you should be forced to re-organise your codebase by taking some drastic action to separate out some of the code because of the editor you use.

              There are a lot of look back sizes in the template file for the various hilighting schemes, including comments. I think we should parameterise these values so that it is much easier to increase them all in one go rather than using constants. 50 is a little small these days, especially for some of the public domain software with large version histories and licenses contained, with the current processing power available the longer look back does not really become noticeable.

              As for your idea of putting down anchors, this has potential benefits, I am not sure if this completely eradicates look back in its entirety because it must still be performed for brackets in lines.

              > ------------------------------------

            • Reza Roboubi
              Message 7 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
                Hi Jon,

                On 11-10-31 03:54 PM, Jon Green wrote:

                > I do not quite agree with your analysis because the quotes are fine in
                > the comment when the current position is less than the look-back
                > distance away. If the quotes in the comment were generally a problem
                > then you would expect this to cause a problem irrespective of the
                > actual distance of the offending statement away from the comment.

                The question isn't what the problem is. The question is, what's the
                solution? We both agree that changing the look-back length _only_
                solves this issue if we set look-back >= file-line-number. That's a fact.

                > As for your idea of putting down anchors, this has potential benefits,
                > I am not sure if this completely eradicates look back in its entirety
                > because it must still be performed for brackets in lines.

                Yes, hilight will simply have to look back until it finds the first
                anchor outside of the window's view port. That way, you get global and
                scalable highlighting, for any language or file size. And I suspect
                it's pretty easy to do: Could someone who knows the source code well
                give clear instructions of what needs to change and the potential
                pitfalls to watch for?

                Reza.
              • Reza Roboubi
                Message 8 of 8 , Oct 31, 2011
                  I'm very sorry for the stupid formatting of my last email. The line
                  spaces were all broken: