@gdiff filter -- visual diff

    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2000
      (Yeah, I know, I'm way behind the times, as usual... :-)

      I just discovered this nifty gdiff filter, which one runs using
      'me @gdiff file1 file2' to display the differences between two pfiles. Hoping to throw away windiff/examdiff/etc. and whatever other such tools, I tried this out. (Examdiff, by the way, is in my opinion excellent and freeware. Windiff comes with the Windows SDK and is a Microsoft product -- probably developed on the sly by one of their coders.)

      Some questions:

      Q. How does one navigate (or scroll/pan) right and left in this mode? A diff in my test file is off the right side of the screen -- not visible in the window. How do I get to see it?

      Q. How does one edit a file to make a change? It seems this cannot be done within the gdiff filter mode. I.e., I notice a change on the right side (later version) and want to apply it (by typing the change) on the left side.

      Q. From what I understand, it looks like the way you're supposed to use the tool is pick which lines you want to have in your "good" version (by tabbing to the side you want to choose a difference from, and hitting L to make the line green). When you save, later, the green lines are saved. Is this correct? (How does one handle conflicting intra-line diffs? Is the granularity always at the line level?)

      Q. I noticed an anomaly in the context menus: Right-clicking brings up a menu. Several of the options (Global, Region, Line) have subsidiary menus. When you open the main menu by right-clicking near the rightmost edge of the ME window, the submenus totally obscure the main menu entries. There's no way to ever get to the middle (Region) submenu!

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2000
        > Subject: [jasspa] @gdiff filter -- visual diff
        > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        > Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 11:39:04 -0700
        >
        > (Yeah, I know, I'm way behind the times, as usual... :-)
        >
        > I just discovered this nifty gdiff filter, which one runs using 'me @gdiff
        > file1 file2' to display the differences between two pfiles. Hoping to throw
        > away windiff/examdiff/etc. and whatever other such tools, I tried this out.
        > (Examdiff, by the way, is in my opinion excellent and freeware. Windiff comes
        > with the Windows SDK and is a Microsoft product -- probably developed on the
        > sly by one of their coders.)
        >
        > Some questions:
        >
        > Q. How does one navigate (or scroll/pan) right and left in this mode? A diff
        > in my test file is off the right side of the screen -- not visible in the
        > window. How do I get to see it?

        Currently there is no way which is a severe restriction. I reckon I could
        support the scroll-right command (bound to A-right) but ideally ME should have
        horizontal scroll bars!

        > Q. How does one edit a file to make a change? It seems this cannot be done
        > within the gdiff filter mode. I.e., I notice a change on the right side (later
        > version) and want to apply it (by typing the change) on the left side.

        The concept behind gdiff is best summarised as:

        gdiff compares two versions of a file, the user can select which version they
        what on a global, group or per line basis and then save the new version to a
        third file (which may or may not be one of the two being compared).

        Given that manually typing a change is not supported (it gets very complicated
        and nasty if the user starts inserting new lines).

        > Q. From what I understand, it looks like the way you're supposed to use the
        > tool is pick which lines you want to have in your "good" version (by tabbing
        > to the side you want to choose a difference from, and hitting L to make the
        > line green). When you save, later, the green lines are saved. Is this correct?
        > (How does one handle conflicting intra-line diffs? Is the granularity always
        > at the line level?)

        See above, yes the smallest granularity is a line.

        One possible solution to all these problems would be to have a third window as
        follows:

        +-------------+-------------+
        | | |
        | gdiff 1st | gdiff 2nd |
        | | |
        | | |
        +-------------+-------------+
        | |
        | gdiff combined |
        | |
        +---------------------------+

        The combined would show the file when saved, as the window is wider the 1st
        problem would be helped a little and if you're lucky editing of the combined
        buffer may be allowed.

        > Q. I noticed an anomaly in the context menus: Right-clicking brings up a menu.
        > Several of the options (Global, Region, Line) have subsidiary menus. When you
        > open the main menu by right-clicking near the rightmost edge of the ME window,
        > the submenus totally obscure the main menu entries. There's no way to ever get
        > to the middle (Region) submenu!

        Nice find.

        Steve