two specific question from a new user

  • isaacpei
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18 5:32 AM
      Hello,

      I am an new user of microemacs, I have
      two specific questions:
      1. is there a softwrap feature in uemacs?
      2. is there the 'orgmode' in uemacs?

      thanks a lot!

      Best regards,
      Isaac
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18 12:45 PM
        Isaac,

        Welcome to the group!

        Sorry but I'm not familiar with the terms softwrap or orgmode - what are they?

        I'd guess that softwrap is the wrapping of long lines in the display so all the text is visible? If so the answer is no (there has to be some reason why this is 'micro' emacs!)

        Steve

        isaacpei wrote:

        Hello,

        I am an new user of microemacs, I have
        two specific questions:
        1. is there a softwrap feature in uemacs?
        2. is there the 'orgmode' in uemacs?

        thanks a lot!

        Best regards,
        Isaac

      • Tom Hundt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18 2:14 PM
          org mode is a mode for GNU Emacs that supports outines, checklists, etc.

          I've played around with it and wish MicroEmacs had it.  I've gone so far as to have both ME and Gnu installed just to support some to-do lists.  I'm Lisp-challenged, however, and that always stops me from switching over.

          I think "soft wrap" means wrapping long lines by setting an editor flag, not by inserting actual linefeeds into the text.  What Notepad does in Windows.

          -Tom

          --
          Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698

        • isaacpei
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18 7:33 PM
            thanks, Tom
            yes, yours best explained what I am looking for. thanks!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 14, 2012
              so there isn't a softwrap feature?

              it could be interesting if we can compile lua (embed) it in as a extension language, while at the same time keep the current macro system....

              just some thought

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2012
                I don't think so.  (This is annoying when viewing many Windows readme files that are saved using Notepad, which DOES have it.)  You end up having to do ifill-paragraph on the whole document (or 'restyle-buffer') to read the lines.  That does modify the buffer though.

                There is a buffer mode called "wrap" which has nothing to do with viewing; it turns on word wrapping so if you type past the wrap point it will reformat (fill) the paragraph.

                Maybe I'm wrong and it exists and I just don't know about it; it's happened before...  I'm using version 20090909.

                -Th