RE: [jasspa] Re: Overwrite Selection

  • Jeremy Cowgar
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2010

      Yes, just MS shift region.

      Jeremy

      From: jasspa@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jasspa@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven Phillips
      Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:25 AM
      To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] Re: Overwrite Selection

      Is this to work with just the 'MS Shift Region' feature (i.e. holding down the shift key to define the require selection to be overwritten)? with the mouse? with a region defined by set-mark (esc space)?  or a combination of all three?

      The MS shift region may be possible without a huge impact, likewise the mouse if MS Shift was enabled, but trying to implement this with support for a general set-mark could be awkward to say the least.

      Steve

      cp200205 wrote:

      I guess I am back to this same wish. If text is selected and I type, can the selected text be automatically deleted?

      Jeremy

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2010
      • 1 Attachment
      • 3 KB
      Jeremy,

      Can you please try out the following patch, below is a diff and attached is the complete emf file, I suggest you keep your current version just in case there is a problem. I may have missed an input key or two, please let me know if I have.

      Also while doing this I noticed a fundamental difference between ME's shift region and the standard - if you shift a region and then move (i.e. let go of the shift and then press a cursor key) ME's shift region implementation still copies the region to the kill buffer whereas on windows you must use C-c to copy it into the cut/paste buffer. I guess I was thinking nore of Unix style mouse behaviour when I implemented this rather than a true MS region interface. Should this be changed or does this quirk suit ME?

      Steve

      *** msshift.emf    29 Aug 2009 17:47:39 -0000    2.12
      --- msshift.emf    8 Dec 2010 10:58:55 -0000
      ***************
      *** 27,39 ****
            !endif
            ; restore the input function so this only gets called once!
            set-variable $buffer-input .msshift.input
      !     ; only treat delete and backspace specially
      !     !if &lfi "|backward-delete-char|forward-delete-char|kill-region|" @cc
                set-variable .status "1"
                -1 yank
      !         kill-region
                !return
      !     !elif &lfi "|kill-rectangle|" @cc
                set-variable .status "1"
                -1 yank
                execute-named-command @cc
      --- 27,38 ----
          !endif
          ; restore the input function so this only gets called once!
          set-variable $buffer-input .msshift.input
      !   !if &lfi "|backward-delete-char|forward-delete-char|" @cc
            set-variable .status "1"
            -1 yank
      !     -1 kill-region
            !return
      !   !elif &lfi "|kill-region|kill-rectangle|" @cc
            set-variable .status "1"
            -1 yank
            execute-named-command @cc
      ***************
      *** 41,52 ****
            !elif &seq "copy-region" @cc
                set-variable .status "1"
                !return
      !     !elif &seq "yank" @cc
      !         set-variable .status "1"
                -1 yank
                -1 kill-region
      -         yank
      -         !return
            !elif &seq "mouse-event" @cc
                set-variable .mouse-event.msshift 3
            !elif &set #l0 &sin "mouse-pick-" @cck
      --- 40,51 ----
          !elif &seq "copy-region" @cc
            set-variable .status "1"
            !return
      !   !elif &lfi "|yank|newline|" @cc
      !     -1 yank
      !     -1 kill-region
      !   !elif &seq @cck @cc
            -1 yank
            -1 kill-region

      cp200205 wrote:

      I guess I am back to this same wish. If text is selected and I type, can the selected text be automatically deleted?

      Jeremy

      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I know what you mean. Windows apps get you used to doing stuff
      > like that. Hitting ^W is not possible? (I think you can do it even
      > after you've typed something and noticed that your selection has become
      > un-highlighted and has started being pushed to the right by your new
      > text. Just because an area is no longer highlighted does not mean it is
      > not still selected.)
      >
      > If you really do want this, I guess the question for MicroEmacs is, how
      > is it supposed to know when to do this auto-killing behavior. Whenever
      > something is selected, and the selection is highlighted, and you hit a
      > self-insert key (i.e., not a navigational or command one)? It could be
      > called "windows notepad mode".
      >
      > -Th
      >

      > Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
      > > Is it possible to configure MicroEmacs to overwrite what is currently
      > > selected? I have gotten into the habbit of doing things like Shift-Home,
      > > Hello, World! By default, MicroEmacs un-selects the text and where ever the
      > > cursor is, starts entering the text I enter.
      > >
      > > I would like it to remove the text on first key stroke. Is that possible?
      > >
      > > Jeremy

    • cp200205
      Message 3 of 8 , May 4 9:44 AM
        Steve,

        I am terribly sorry! I have not gotten an email from the Jasspa group since 11/02/2010 for some reason. I need to look at the mail logs and figure out what went wrong. I did not see this (or any other message past that date) until I posted one this morning. When I saw it didn't come in I came to the web interface to see if it actually posted and now see all sorts of other messages I have not got.

        Anyway, I did apply the patch just now and it seems to be working great. About the copying of the region to the clipboard. I personally like that. I didn't catch on that it was doing that. However it is not the way the MS-shift stuff works in Microsoft. So... can it be the way it works in MicroEmacs? As I said, I personally like it that way but I'm probably not the only one using it. I guess it matters how much MicroEmacs wants to emulate the MS shift stuff. That's your call.

        Jeremy

        Message 4 of 8 , May 5 2:26 AM
          I also think it should be left as is - Windows uses C-x, C-c & C-v for copy buffer manipulation, all of these key bindings are used in ME for other things so ME's shift region support cannot be the same as Windows and if the user has to press 'esc w' once they have defined the 'shift region' what does this gain over the standard way of doing it? Not a lot.

          Steve