autocompletion macro

  • Detlef Groth
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2000
      Hello, here is the autocompletion macro.

      Aim: if you are writing a document, or a program you are writing the
      same
      words again and again. Often if you are a programmer you have to
      remember
      the name of a certain function you just were creating. In my cases most
      of
      compiler-error-messages are coming from misspelled function or variable
      names. To minimise such trouble you can use the following macro. Start
      writing the word the first two, three, four or five letters and execute
      the macro, it will search backward for these letters and fill the word
      with the first possible word it was founding. So these letters should
      match the proper word beginning correctly. This is especially useful if
      you see the other word still on the screen. Normally you would thy the
      function or macro-name: what-for-a-wonderful-macro again, or you try to
      copy and past it, very borrowing. I simple write "what-" and press "C-1"
      and
      the name is completed: what-for-a-wonderful-macro.
      The macro can be also found at: www.microemacs.de/macros.htm

      best regards,
      Detlef

      define-macro autocomplete-word
      ; remember position
      set-alpha-mark "t"
      set-mark
      backward-word
      exchange-point-and-mark
      copy-region
      ; copy clip to variable
      set-variable #l0 @y
      ; how many letters ?
      set-variable #l1 &len #l0
      ; empty clipboard
      -1 yank
      backward-word
      ; search clip and extract rest of the word
      search-backward #l0
      #l1 forward-char
      set-mark
      forward-word
      exchange-point-and-mark
      copy-region
      goto-alpha-mark "t"
      yank
      -1 yank
      !emacro
      global-bind-key "autocomplete-word" "C-1"