More indent questions

  • Jeremy Cowgar
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12, 2010
      I am trying to write a mode for the Josl programming language,
      http://www.josl.org

      I can get everything to indent, i.e.

      is-person? if
      "Hello, Person!" println
      end

      except for the new words...

      say-hello
      "Hello" println

      main
      say-hello
      say-hello
      10 times
      say-hello
      next

      So, if a word starts in column 1, then it's a new top level word. That
      top level word's definition continues until a new top level word begins.
      Now, in practical use, you separate two top level words by two blank
      lines, so that could be used to detect the end of a word for indentation.

      Does anyone have an idea on how this can be accomplished?

      Jeremy
    • Jeremy Cowgar
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
        No input on this? Just to make sure formatting was correct, period = space

        say-hello
        ...."Hello" println

        say-hello-10-times
        ....10 times
        ........say-hello
        ....next

        main
        ....say-hello-10-times

        I can make the things such as 10 times ... say-hello indent properly,
        but how do I make things such as say-hello, then the next line (and all
        subsequent lines) be indented?

        Jeremy

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
          Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
          > No input on this? Just to make sure formatting was correct, period = space
          >
          > say-hello
          > ...."Hello" println
          >
          > say-hello-10-times
          > ....10 times
          > ........say-hello
          > ....next
          >
          > main
          > ....say-hello-10-times
          >
          > I can make the things such as 10 times ... say-hello indent properly,
          > but how do I make things such as say-hello, then the next line (and all
          > subsequent lines) be indented?
          >
          > Jeremy

          Hi Jeremy,

          Sorry I have not had a lot of time and to help you then we have to actually
          write a complete template and find some examples.

          After looking at the examples on the web page then I am struggling because
          there is no clear anchor in the syntax to determine when the indent is supposed
          to end.

          Anyway I had a play around and have so far come up with nothing that works
          every case of your examples and the document on josl. When I look at your
          example below I am wondering how you got the indent working at all?

          My implementation is so far this:

          !if &sin "d" .fhook-josl.setup
          0 indent .hilight.josl 0 10
          indent .hilight.josl u "^\\w+" -t t
          indent .hilight.josl n "if" t
          ; indent .hilight.josl n "is" t
          ; indent .hilight.josl n "do" t
          indent .hilight.josl s "else" -t
          indent .hilight.josl o "end" -t
          ; indent .hilight.josl o "until" -t
          ; indent .hilight.josl n "begin" t
          indent .hilight.josl e "\"" "\"" "\\"
          indent .hilight.josl i "#"
          !endif

          And I am struggling.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
            Jon Green wrote:
            > Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
            >> No input on this? Just to make sure formatting was correct, period = space
            >>
            >> say-hello
            >> ...."Hello" println
            >>
            >> say-hello-10-times
            >> ....10 times
            >> ........say-hello
            >> ....next
            >>
            >> main
            >> ....say-hello-10-times
            >>
            >> I can make the things such as 10 times ... say-hello indent properly,
            >> but how do I make things such as say-hello, then the next line (and all
            >> subsequent lines) be indented?
            >>
            >> Jeremy
            >
            > Hi Jeremy,
            >
            > Sorry I have not had a lot of time and to help you then we have to actually
            > write a complete template and find some examples.
            >
            > After looking at the examples on the web page then I am struggling because
            > there is no clear anchor in the syntax to determine when the indent is supposed
            > to end.
            >
            > Anyway I had a play around and have so far come up with nothing that works
            > every case of your examples and the document on josl. When I look at your
            > example below I am wondering how you got the indent working at all?
            >
            > My implementation is so far this:
            >
            > !if &sin "d" .fhook-josl.setup
            > 0 indent .hilight.josl 0 10
            > indent .hilight.josl u "^\\w+" -t t
            > indent .hilight.josl n "if" t
            > ; indent .hilight.josl n "is" t
            > ; indent .hilight.josl n "do" t
            > indent .hilight.josl s "else" -t
            > indent .hilight.josl o "end" -t
            > ; indent .hilight.josl o "until" -t
            > ; indent .hilight.josl n "begin" t
            > indent .hilight.josl e "\"" "\"" "\\"
            > indent .hilight.josl i "#"
            > !endif
            >
            > And I am struggling.

            Actually this line works better for keeping the first 0 column line indent. You
            must start in the margin but once it is there then it sticks irrespective of
            the indent in the previous block (assuming it is not more than 5 - could put 9
            here).

            indent .hilight.josl u "^\\w+" -5t t

            Noted for the following:

            is-person? if
            "Hello, Person!" println
            end

            Then I think the following is more correct because the 'if' causes another
            indent and the 'end' is indented in the correct place.

            is-person? if
            "Hello, Person!" println
            end

            except for the new words...

            say-hello
            "Hello" println

          • Jeremy Cowgar
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
              Jon,

              I am leaving for the evening but will look at the code in tonight. I did not intend on anyone having to write the indentation themselves, I was simply looking for guidance :-)...

              As for the rule... The rule for Josl is that a new word begins when a non-space/non-comment character is in column 1. Josl has very minimal syntax requirements by design. The words (function in other languages) continues until the next one begins. So...

              hello-world 10 times
              ........"Hello" println
              ....next

              goodbye-word 10 times
              ........"Hello" println
              ....next

              main hello-world
              ....goodbye-world

              That defines 3 words, the "main" word being the entry point. In Josl, the only separator is a space. There is a special syntax for strings, "... content ... ". Other than that, anything is valid in a word name, for example:

              [10-{times},do-a()] 10 times a next

              defines a new word that is perfectly valid and would be called as "[10-{times},do-a()]". I understand this complicates the indentation in any editor. I am thankful that you wrote some code but did not mean to place that burden on you.

              Thanks, will get back with you later this evening.

              Jeremy

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
                On 4/20/2010 4:00 PM, Jon Green wrote:

                Hi Jeremy,

                Sorry I have not had a lot of time and to help you then we have to actually
                write a complete template and find some examples.

                After looking at the examples on the web page then I am struggling because
                there is no clear anchor in the syntax to determine when the indent is supposed
                to end.

                Anyway I had a play around and have so far come up with nothing that works
                every case of your examples and the document on josl. When I look at your
                example below I am wondering how you got the indent working at all?

                Oh... My indentation was only working for the constructs which was pretty easy, obviously:

                TRUE if
                ...."Hello" println
                end

                I did not get anything working for indenting a word definition properly. So, for me things would indent like this:

                main
                TRUE if
                ...."Hello" println
                end

                which is wrong in Josl, as *any* non-space, non-comment in column 1 defines a new word (function). The above should look like:

                main
                ....TRUE if
                ........"Hello" println
                ....end

                Jeremy

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
                  Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
                  > On 4/20/2010 4:00 PM, Jon Green wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi Jeremy,
                  >>
                  >> Sorry I have not had a lot of time and to help you then we have to
                  >> actually
                  >> write a complete template and find some examples.
                  >>
                  >> After looking at the examples on the web page then I am struggling
                  >> because
                  >> there is no clear anchor in the syntax to determine when the indent is
                  >> supposed
                  >> to end.
                  >>
                  >> Anyway I had a play around and have so far come up with nothing that
                  >> works
                  >> every case of your examples and the document on josl. When I look at your
                  >> example below I am wondering how you got the indent working at all?
                  >>

                  > Oh... My indentation was only working for the constructs which was
                  > pretty easy, obviously:
                  >
                  > TRUE if
                  > ...."Hello" println
                  > end
                  >
                  > I did not get anything working for indenting a word definition properly.
                  > So, for me things would indent like this:
                  >
                  > main
                  > TRUE if
                  > ...."Hello" println
                  > end
                  >
                  > which is wrong in Josl, as *any* non-space, non-comment in column 1
                  > defines a new word (function). The above should look like:
                  >
                  > main
                  > ....TRUE if
                  > ........"Hello" println
                  > ....end

                  OK, seems that I have solved this problem then with my abuse of the 'indent
                  "u"' which should sort this out as it will cause an indent to start on the next
                  line.

                  Best of luck.

                  > Jeremy

                • Jeremy Cowgar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 20, 2010
                    Jon,

                    Thank you. It seems to be working great. What I have thus far is:

                    http://fossil.josl.org/finfo?name=support/editors/microemacs/hkjosl.emf

                    I'm very happy to have a working mode now for MicroEmacs. It's just so
                    nice to have indentation, the tools pane (displaying buffer items). The
                    ease of creating these modes (albeit indentation sometimes gets tricky)
                    in MicroEmacs is just awesome.

                    Jeremy Cowgar