MicroEmacs X-Window mode not starting on Fedora Core 11 & 12

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2009
      PROBLEM
      -------
      JASSPA MicroEmacs is not starting up in a X-Windows mode on Fedora 11/12
      systems. The reason for this is that the built-in default font cannot be resolved.

      SOLUTION
      --------
      The existing binaries can be made to run on Fedora by performing the following
      actions:

      1. Create a file ".Xresources" in the $HOME directory if it does not already exist.

      2. Add the line to the .Xresource file:

      MicroEmacs*font: -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

      3. Merge the local resources definitions to the XServer with the command

      % xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources

      After performing these steps then any pre-built MicroEmacs will run up
      correctly and not silently fail.

      If you wish to re-build the binary with the default font then edit
      unixterm.c:2976 and change the default font string.

      For some reason the fixed font file in Fedora 11+ is different compared with
      all of the other systems that we have encountered. We need to make the
      unixterm.c font selection a little more robust in its font selection and try to
      make it recover.

      Regards
      Jon