[jasspa] So what *does* restyle-buffer do in a text buffer?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 1999
      Whatever it is, it takes a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time! :-)

      What I would expect, of course, is that it do ifill-paragraphs for every paragraph in the whole thing. And based on what I've seen, this is, indeed, what it tries to do. (Looked in format.emf.)

      Which brings me to the problem: I think fill-paragraph (and hence, ifill-paragraph) doesn't ever move on to the next paragraph. (Maybe I've got something set wrong. Don't know.)

      (BTW: If I was king? I would make it first kill all the whitespace at the beginning of a line, which you get when you cut and paste from Netscape. That is *so* annoying. Yes, Netscape should be fixed, not uemacs, but I don't have Andreeeeson's e-mail address :-)

      -Th
    • Jonathan Naughton-Green
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 1999
        Thomas,

        Nice find !! You are right it does not advance a paragraph.
        The new paragraph fill leaves the cursor at the same position
        in the paragraph. In order to force it to the next then you
        need to give it a numerical argument.

        "Lonnnnnnnnnnng Time" == "forever" with the current operation !!

        Modify format.emf by inserting a "1 " as follows to fix, note
        that NROFF also requires the same fix:-

        cd d:/me990527/macros/
        diff --context --minimal --ignore-space-change --report-identical-files --recursive "d:/me990527/macros/format.em~" "d:/me990527/macros/format.emf"

        *** d:/me990527/macros/format.em~ Mon Jul 12 08:24:48 1999
        --- d:/me990527/macros/format.emf Tue Aug 10 09:18:54 1999
        ***************
        *** 278,284 ****
        !if &seq $buffer-fhook "fhook-nroff"
        ! set-variable #l1 "nroff-para"
        !else
        ! set-variable #l1 "ifill-paragraph"
        !endif
        !while &les $window-line #l0
        execute-line #l1
        --- 278,284 ----
        !if &seq $buffer-fhook "fhook-nroff"
        ! set-variable #l1 "1 nroff-para"
        !else
        ! set-variable #l1 "1 ifill-paragraph"
        !endif
        !while &les $window-line #l0
        execute-line #l1
        [EXIT]

        Thomas Hundt wrote:

        > Whatever it is, it takes a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time! :-)
        >
        > What I would expect, of course, is that it do ifill-paragraphs for every paragraph in the whole thing. And based on what I've seen, this is, indeed, what it tries to do. (Looked in format.emf.)
        >
        > Which brings me to the problem: I think fill-paragraph (and hence, ifill-paragraph) doesn't ever move on to the next paragraph. (Maybe I've got something set wrong. Don't know.)
        >
        > (BTW: If I was king? I would make it first kill all the whitespace at the beginning of a line, which you get when you cut and paste from Netscape. That is *so* annoying. Yes, Netscape should be fixed, not uemacs, but I don't have Andreeeeson's e-mail address :-)

        > Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
        > FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449

        Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

        SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
        The Communication Centre
        South Street
        Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
        MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
        TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
        England Email (home): jon@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10, 1999
          It seems that query-replace-string (M-% on my setup) remembers the target string, but forgets the replacement string, the next time through.

          This will be annoying when you're search-and-replacing the same string in several files in a row. (The "good" news is that it's now easy to enter a "null string" when you want to replace a string with nothing, to just plain remove it, which I can never figure out how to do. :-)

          Thanks,

          -Th
        • bill@jasspa.freeserve.co.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 10, 1999
            > It seems that query-replace-string (M-% on my setup) remembers the target
            > string, but forgets the replacement string, the next time through.
            >
            > This will be annoying when you're search-and-replacing the same string in
            > several files in a row. (The "good" news is that it's now easy to enter a
            > "null string" when you want to replace a string with nothing, to just plain
            > remove it, which I can never figure out how to do. :-)

            The dropping of the replace history is deliberate and for the reason is for
            the "good" news. You can get the previous replace using the history, either
            "esc p", "A-p" (if the Alt -> esc is enabled) or my preferred key binding is
            C-up.

            Hope that helps,

            Steve
          • Bruno Sabin
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 12, 1999
              Hello bill (or Steve),

              I eventually got round to give a go at the spell functionality
              and ... hmmmm ... I must have done it wrong. I get an error:-

              [error executing spell, line 686]
              [file-macro spell-buffer not defined]

              to trigger this I use the Tools->Spell Buffer menu. My
              Language setting has moved back from British-Ext to British
              to American. Any idea of what I missed?

              Regards,

              Bruno

              Bruno Sabin Senior Technical Support Engineer
              19 Apex Court, Woodlands, Almondsbury park, BRISTOL, BS32 4JT, UK
              Phone:+44 (0) 1454 615 554 Ext: 232 Fax:+44 (0) 1454 615 532
              mailto:bruno@... http://www.division.com

              The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts
              -John Locke
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 13, 1999
                This is a really wacky problem, I haven't figured out the pattern yet. You guys solved the other ones so easily, I figured it's time for a hard one :-)

                Chief Complaint:
                ---------------

                Copying in me32 and pasting into another program often gives me the previous clipboard contents. The "copy" done in me32 did not take.

                Symptoms:
                --------

                I start up an me32 from the start menu. (It's in "*scratch*" buffer and default mode.)

                I copy something (like text from an e-mail message) and paste it into me32 using Shift-Insert (or yank).

                I do something like reformat the text. (Typical: fill the paragraph, add "|"s to the left side to indicate "quoting".)

                Now I set a mark at the beginning, move the cursor to the end (and the text all gets a blue background, as it's the "region"). Do a Copy. (M-w)

                Now I switch (Alt-Tab) to the other app and do a Paste (typically Shift-Insert). It pastes back the original text I copied! Not the edited version I just selected and copied in me32!

                I can do this a couple of times and it still won't work. Then, suddenly, it will start to work right, and I get the selected text. I can't predict when.

                Hints:
                -----

                If the blue background (region) goes away, then it's pretty much certain to have been copied to the clipboard correctly.

                If I use the mouse menu to do the Copy, then it almost certainly works.

                If I do a Cut (C-w) rather than a Copy (M-w), that does not matter. It'll either work or not.

                Yank will always work, if I do it right away. If I switch to the other app, and then do a Paste (and it happens to paste the old clipboard), and then switch back to me32, doing Yank will suddenly start pasting the old data!

                I think I've had similar problems under Unix (where it copies to the X clipboard, which the Exceed X server copies to the Windows clipboard, and which occasionally crashes while doing so).

                Thanks!

                -Th
                "I love MicroEmacs"
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 13, 1999
                  >I can do this a couple of times and it still won't work. Then, suddenly, it will
                  >start to work right, and I get the selected text. I can't predict when.

                  To clarify, I do the entire sequence -- copy, switch apps, paste -- a couple of times, and then when it's good and ready, it will start working for a while. I.e., apply the time-honored method of "messing with it" to get the software to work. :-) (In general, "messing with it" only works with well-written products; it tends to crash Microsoft stuff...)

                  -Th
                • Detlef Groth
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 16, 1999
                    At 14:29 13.08.99 -0700, you wrote:
                    >This is a really wacky problem, I haven't figured out the pattern yet. You guys solved the other ones so easily, I figured it's time for a hard one :-)
                    >
                    >Chief Complaint:
                    >---------------
                    >
                    >Copying in me32 and pasting into another program often gives me the previous clipboard contents. The "copy" done in me32 did not take.
                    >
                    >Symptoms:
                    >--------
                    >
                    >I start up an me32 from the start menu. (It's in "*scratch*" buffer and default mode.)
                    >
                    >I copy something (like text from an e-mail message) and paste it into me32 using Shift-Insert (or yank).
                    >
                    >I do something like reformat the text. (Typical: fill the paragraph, add "|"s to the left side to indicate "quoting".)
                    >
                    >Now I set a mark at the beginning, move the cursor to the end (and the text all gets a blue background, as it's the "region"). Do a Copy. (M-w)
                    >
                    >Now I switch (Alt-Tab) to the other app and do a Paste (typically Shift-Insert). It pastes back the original text I copied! Not the edited version I just selected and copied in me32!
                    >
                    >I can do this a couple of times and it still won't work. Then, suddenly, it will start to work right, and I get the selected text. I can't predict when.
                    >
                    >Hints:
                    >-----
                    >
                    >If the blue background (region) goes away, then it's pretty much certain to have been copied to the clipboard correctly.
                    >
                    >If I use the mouse menu to do the Copy, then it almost certainly works.
                    >
                    >If I do a Cut (C-w) rather than a Copy (M-w), that does not matter. It'll either work or not.
                    >
                    >Yank will always work, if I do it right away. If I switch to the other app, and then do a Paste (and it happens to paste the old clipboard), and then switch back to me32, doing Yank will suddenly start pasting the old data!
                    >
                    >I think I've had similar problems under Unix (where it copies to the X clipboard, which the Exceed X server copies to the Windows clipboard, and which occasionally crashes while doing so).
                    >

                    >Thanks!
                    >
                    >-Th
                    >"I love MicroEmacs"

                    I am using Win98 amd the last Me-beta.
                    I were choosing different clipboard enhancers and I observed similar behaviour, sometimes Me copies to the clipboard sometimes not. Sometimes it is even copying if I only mark text. With some clipboard collectors Me does not work together at all. My solution to this was writing almost everything with me and avoid using other programs. However this seems to be of course the best but not a serious solution.

                    Best regards, Detlef