Re: [jasspa] Alpha Test - A standalone windows executable

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
      Bryan Schofield wrote:

      > Brilliant! It would be super brilliant if I could package my JASSPA_HOME
      > the same way and bring it along as a single file.

      You will be able to do this as well if you roll your own binary.

      My built-in file system builder is not quite ready for release yet and only
      works on Solaris so I need to port that to other platforms first and tidy it
      up. Once I have done this then I'll release it and you will be able to stuff it
      as you want. The builder simply recurses a directory tree and compresses and
      packs the files and directories into a file system and spits out a 'C' unsigned
      char array which is then compiled into the program. You can put what you want
      in there with as many directories as you want.

      Still checking running on different platforms at the moment.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
        azynheira wrote:
        > Hi Jon
        > Good work!
        >
        > I had used standalone application by using StartKits in Tcl and this I would believe its the same idea concept?
        >
        > I makes ME (even) more appealing, just one .exe file and your private stuff and voila :-)
        >
        > Do you have this concept working for Linux as well ?

        There are some Linux versions amongst others here:

        http://www.jasspa.com/development/me-standalone/

        Regards
        Jon
      • azynheira
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
          Hi Jon,
          Been playing with it! Looks nice .... :P

          Two points worth discussing:
          1) I would see this stuff completely integrated into the "regular" build environment (I believe it's ongoing from the code I saw).

          2) Would be nice to have a system wide variable or a bit in the $system variable (Readonly) to indicate that the executable being ran is a standalone binary.

          Comments appreciated...

          Regards,
          Pedro

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
            On Mon 02/11/09 11:59 AM , "azynheira" pedro.gomes@... sent:
            > Hi Jon,
            > Been playing with it! Looks nice .... :P
            >
            > Two points worth discussing:
            > 1) I would see this stuff completely integrated into the
            > "regular" build environment (I believe it's ongoing from the code
            > I saw).

            It is just a prototype at the moment - the source is not even archived.
            There are makefiles updated for Linux/Freebsd/Darwin etc. Build as:

            build -t scw
            build -t sc

            I did provide the source bundle.

            > 2) Would be nice to have a system wide variable or a bit in the $system
            > variable (Readonly) to indicate that the executable being ran is a
            > standalone binary.
            > Comments appreciated...

            I think that you should be able to do a @stat command on "bfs://" to test if it is present.
            Not tried this or even considered yet - possibly this will not work - that is why it is alpha.

            > Regards,
            > Pedro
            >

            > --- In jasspa
            > @yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:>
            > > azynheira wrote:
            > > > Hi Jon
            > > > Good work!
            > > >
            > > > I had used standalone application by using
            > StartKits in Tcl and this I would believe its the same idea
            > concept?> >
            > > > I makes ME (even) more appealing, just one
            > .exe file and your private stuff and voila :-)> >
            > > > Do you have this concept working for Linux
            > as well ?> >
            > >
            > > There are some Linux versions amongst others
            > here:>
            > >
            > http://www.jasspa.com/development/me-standalone/>
            > > Regards
            > > Jon

            > Individual Email | Traditional

            ---- Message sent via KC WebMail - http://webmail.mistral.net/
          • azynheira
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2009
              Hi Jon,
              Just some thoughts on the Win32 version:
              1) I maybe trying to be perfectionist, but do you think that it could also be a good approach to put the bfs into a resource reference. This way one could replace it as wish.

              2) Another approach would be to append the bfs to the end of the executable and at run time the executable would search for the bfs at as trailing information append to the end of the exe file and load it.
              This way it would also allow some flexible plug&play bfs. If nothing was found, then it would be regular stripped me32.exe.

              What do you think about this?

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2009
                azynheira wrote:
                > Hi Jon, Just some thoughts on the Win32 version: 1) I maybe trying to be
                > perfectionist, but do you think that it could also be a good approach to put
                > the bfs into a resource reference. This way one could replace it as wish.
                >
                > 2) Another approach would be to append the bfs to the end of the executable
                > and at run time the executable would search for the bfs at as trailing
                > information append to the end of the exe file and load it. This way it would
                > also allow some flexible plug&play bfs. If nothing was found, then it would
                > be regular stripped me32.exe.

                Well done Pedro - top marks; this is exactly what we should do.

                This means that we do not need to do a build to change the macros and any Joe
                can easily customize. Also the executable is standard, if there is anything on
                the end then you can run it, if it is missing then run as normal. Also the
                stuff on the end can be huge i.e. spelling dictionaries, the works! This also
                satisfies Bryan's requirements of being able to load up with his own private files.

                From what I have at the moment to this is just a little step - a small tweak
                to the container format will mean I can access it from the bottom of the file
                to find the root node entry point and then I have the root directory.

                Well done - exactly why I alpha'ed it and what I should have thought of - guess
                I was not thinking that far ahead just to proof of concept.

                Thanks, I will pursue this path as the next revision.

                Regards
                Jon

                > What do you think about this?
                >
                > Regards, Pedro

              • azynheira
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Hi Jon,
                  Nice ! :P

                  One thing I forgot to refer yesterday was that it would be nice that the container is protected against corruption by appending to the beginning headers of the container some md5sum of the whole "cake", that would then be checked at startup just to be sure that we dont have "bad" contents inside.

                  Just some more cents ... :-)