Re: Alpha Test - A standalone windows executable

  • azynheira
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hi Jon
      Good work!

      I had used standalone application by using StartKits in Tcl and this I would believe its the same idea concept?

      I makes ME (even) more appealing, just one .exe file and your private stuff and voila :-)

      Do you have this concept working for Linux as well ?

      Nice work!

      Regards,
      Pedro

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
        azynheira wrote:
        > Hi Jon
        > Good work!

        Hi Pedro,

        > I had used standalone application by using StartKits in Tcl and this I would believe its the same idea concept?

        Yes much the same.

        > I makes ME (even) more appealing, just one .exe file and your private stuff and voila :-)

        Yes - sometimes you do not want to install but want something a bit more than
        nano and just want it to run.

        > Do you have this concept working for Linux as well ?

        I've not built a Linux one yet. Just about to boot up my VMs for Linux testing.
        It does work on Sun Solaris so Linux should be the same. I'm just going through
        the platforms testing them so I'll post a Linux once I have built and confirmed
        its OK.

        > Nice work!
        >
        > Regards,
        > Pedro
        >
        > --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:
        >> I've just posted an experimental Microsoft Windows me executable to the site here:
        >>
        >> http://www.jasspa.com/development/jasspa-me-standalone-ms-win32-20091017.zip
        >>
        >> The executable includes the macros built-in so it just runs wherever it is and
        >> does not need to be installed so good for a memory stick.
        >>
        >> You can actually get to the internal macros tree using the path "bfs://" (bfs
        >> being built-in file system), most likely will change this to "int://" or
        >> "rom://" but at the moment this is simply a prototype. (I know the dates are
        >> incorrect as well).
        >>
        >> More interestingly your can run M-x grep in here. You can also copy the whole
        >> tree out using the file browser to copy the directory. Any macros that are
        >> defined outside in the searchable jasspa directories will over-ride the
        >> built-in ones.
        >>
        >> Anyway, if you have time then give it a go and see how you like it. I need some
        >> Guinea pigs to test it! Should we ship executables such as this as standard?
        >>
        >> Regards
        >> Jon.
        >>

        > ------------------------------------

      • Bryan Schofield

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
            Bryan Schofield wrote:

            > Brilliant! It would be super brilliant if I could package my JASSPA_HOME
            > the same way and bring it along as a single file.

            You will be able to do this as well if you roll your own binary.

            My built-in file system builder is not quite ready for release yet and only
            works on Solaris so I need to port that to other platforms first and tidy it
            up. Once I have done this then I'll release it and you will be able to stuff it
            as you want. The builder simply recurses a directory tree and compresses and
            packs the files and directories into a file system and spits out a 'C' unsigned
            char array which is then compiled into the program. You can put what you want
            in there with as many directories as you want.

            Still checking running on different platforms at the moment.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2009
              azynheira wrote:
              > Hi Jon
              > Good work!
              >
              > I had used standalone application by using StartKits in Tcl and this I would believe its the same idea concept?
              >
              > I makes ME (even) more appealing, just one .exe file and your private stuff and voila :-)
              >
              > Do you have this concept working for Linux as well ?

              There are some Linux versions amongst others here:

              http://www.jasspa.com/development/me-standalone/

              Regards
              Jon
            • azynheira
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
                Hi Jon,
                Been playing with it! Looks nice .... :P

                Two points worth discussing:
                1) I would see this stuff completely integrated into the "regular" build environment (I believe it's ongoing from the code I saw).

                2) Would be nice to have a system wide variable or a bit in the $system variable (Readonly) to indicate that the executable being ran is a standalone binary.

                Comments appreciated...

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2009
                  On Mon 02/11/09 11:59 AM , "azynheira" pedro.gomes@... sent:
                  > Hi Jon,
                  > Been playing with it! Looks nice .... :P
                  >
                  > Two points worth discussing:
                  > 1) I would see this stuff completely integrated into the
                  > "regular" build environment (I believe it's ongoing from the code
                  > I saw).

                  It is just a prototype at the moment - the source is not even archived.
                  There are makefiles updated for Linux/Freebsd/Darwin etc. Build as:

                  build -t scw
                  build -t sc

                  I did provide the source bundle.

                  > 2) Would be nice to have a system wide variable or a bit in the $system
                  > variable (Readonly) to indicate that the executable being ran is a
                  > standalone binary.
                  > Comments appreciated...

                  I think that you should be able to do a @stat command on "bfs://" to test if it is present.
                  Not tried this or even considered yet - possibly this will not work - that is why it is alpha.

                  > Regards,
                  > Pedro
                  >

                  > --- In jasspa
                  > @yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:>
                  > > azynheira wrote:
                  > > > Hi Jon
                  > > > Good work!
                  > > >
                  > > > I had used standalone application by using
                  > StartKits in Tcl and this I would believe its the same idea
                  > concept?> >
                  > > > I makes ME (even) more appealing, just one
                  > .exe file and your private stuff and voila :-)> >
                  > > > Do you have this concept working for Linux
                  > as well ?> >
                  > >
                  > > There are some Linux versions amongst others
                  > here:>
                  > >
                  > http://www.jasspa.com/development/me-standalone/>
                  > > Regards
                  > > Jon

                  > Individual Email | Traditional

                  ---- Message sent via KC WebMail - http://webmail.mistral.net/
                • azynheira
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Hi Jon,
                    Just some thoughts on the Win32 version:
                    1) I maybe trying to be perfectionist, but do you think that it could also be a good approach to put the bfs into a resource reference. This way one could replace it as wish.

                    2) Another approach would be to append the bfs to the end of the executable and at run time the executable would search for the bfs at as trailing information append to the end of the exe file and load it.
                    This way it would also allow some flexible plug&play bfs. If nothing was found, then it would be regular stripped me32.exe.

                    What do you think about this?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2009
                      azynheira wrote:
                      > Hi Jon, Just some thoughts on the Win32 version: 1) I maybe trying to be
                      > perfectionist, but do you think that it could also be a good approach to put
                      > the bfs into a resource reference. This way one could replace it as wish.
                      >
                      > 2) Another approach would be to append the bfs to the end of the executable
                      > and at run time the executable would search for the bfs at as trailing
                      > information append to the end of the exe file and load it. This way it would
                      > also allow some flexible plug&play bfs. If nothing was found, then it would
                      > be regular stripped me32.exe.

                      Well done Pedro - top marks; this is exactly what we should do.

                      This means that we do not need to do a build to change the macros and any Joe
                      can easily customize. Also the executable is standard, if there is anything on
                      the end then you can run it, if it is missing then run as normal. Also the
                      stuff on the end can be huge i.e. spelling dictionaries, the works! This also
                      satisfies Bryan's requirements of being able to load up with his own private files.

                      From what I have at the moment to this is just a little step - a small tweak
                      to the container format will mean I can access it from the bottom of the file
                      to find the root node entry point and then I have the root directory.

                      Well done - exactly why I alpha'ed it and what I should have thought of - guess
                      I was not thinking that far ahead just to proof of concept.

                      Thanks, I will pursue this path as the next revision.

                      Regards
                      Jon

                      > What do you think about this?
                      >
                      > Regards, Pedro

                    • azynheira
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2009
                        Hi Jon,
                        Nice ! :P

                        One thing I forgot to refer yesterday was that it would be nice that the container is protected against corruption by appending to the beginning headers of the container some md5sum of the whole "cake", that would then be checked at startup just to be sure that we dont have "bad" contents inside.

                        Just some more cents ... :-)