Re: [PROPOSAL] Github repository for mainline Jaaspa source tree.

  • tl_ocallaghan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2009
      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:

      > tl_ocallaghan wrote:
      > > I would like to see the Jasspa Source tree moved to Github or similar, and a contrib tree maintained alongside it.
      > >
      > > This is for a few reasons:
      > > - Gives everybody the chance to easily follow the mainline
      > > - Allows people to easily maintain their own branch changes against a mainline tree or tagged stable release.
      > > - the contrib tree will let people develop, maintain and publish useful extensions and scripts, without having to dig around the mail archive for them.
      > >
      > > Jasspa is open source after all, so i should be able to setup a github account and publish the source myself, but i think it would be better maintained by the Jasspa people.
      > >
      > > What do people think?
      > >
      > > Tim.
      > > http://github.com/ is a free for non-commercial use git repository.
      > >

      > Not sure that there have been enough contributions to warrant this. Most of the
      > contributions have been bundled with the release unless we have not understood
      > them fully or they are very platform specific and non-portable.
      >
      > Also I would not want to use GIT because I cannot use it in MicroEmacs -
      > probably some motivation to support it I guess but until that point that it is
      > supported GIT is certainly not on the menu since we are currently doing most of
      > the work. I think there is a GIT port for Solaris from Jan 2009 this year
      > (understand it was a bit of a git to build as well) but certainly not played
      > with it yet.

      It does not need to be integrated as such, SVN or CVS or any source code control would be ok. The idea is that the contribution level might be improved by a public source tree. I prefer git because branching and merging is cheap.

      Git usage was an assumption on my part because Linus Torvalds uses and maintains a version of uemacs. It has no git integration either.
      http://git.kernel.org/?p=editors/uemacs/uemacs.git;a=summary

      Tim.