2009 version, can we get a Mac build, please

  • Tom Hundt
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
      Hey would it be possible to get an Apple platform build, please?
      Or, if someone gives me the two-minute howto, I'll make one, but it'll take me a while.
      (Don't have the Apple devtools installed right now, but could get them next week or so.  Or are you using gcc or something else?)

      Thanks,

      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
        Tom Hundt wrote:

        > Hey would it be possible to get an Apple platform build, please?
        > Or, if someone gives me the two-minute howto, I'll make one, but it'll
        > take me a while.
        > (Don't have the Apple devtools installed right now, but could get them
        > next week or so. Or are you using gcc or something else?)
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > -Th

        Hi Tom,

        I can do you a build for PPC I do not have a Apple Intel kicking around.
        That OK?

        It was years since I set the environment up so I cannot recall.
        If you could use the old Darwin build of 090606 then this will be the same.
        You can try the executable by running "ne"; it is still on the site in http://www.jasspa.com/release_20060909/

        Let me know if this is OK - build will take 30 minutes I guess by the time I find the machine and keyboard etc.

        Regards
        Jon

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
          Jon Green wrote:
          > Tom Hundt wrote:
          >>
          >> Hey would it be possible to get an Apple platform build, please?
          >> Or, if someone gives me the two-minute howto, I'll make one, but it'll
          >> take me a while.
          >> (Don't have the Apple devtools installed right now, but could get them
          >> next week or so. Or are you using gcc or something else?)
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> -Th
          >>

          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > I can do you a build for PPC I do not have a Apple Intel kicking around.
          > That OK?
          >
          > It was years since I set the environment up so I cannot recall.
          > If you could use the old Darwin build of 090606 then this will be the same.
          > You can try the executable by running "ne"; it is still on the site in http://www.jasspa.com/release_20060909/
          >
          > Let me know if this is OK - build will take 30 minutes I guess by the time I find the machine and keyboard etc.
          >
          > Regards
          > Jon

          Executables are here (if I recall the PPC works on Intel).

          Install the metree into /usr/share/jasspa as root.
          Obviously you need the X-server installed - seems to work quite well (OK its not true Apple class)

          http://www.jasspa.com/release_20090909/jasspa-mec-apple-ppc-10.3-20091011.gz
          http://www.jasspa.com/release_20090909/jasspa-me-apple-ppc-10.3-20091011.gz
          http://www.jasspa.com/release_20090909/jasspa-ne-apple-ppc-10.3-20091011.gz

          Regards
          Jon

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
            Jon Green wrote:
            > Jon Green wrote:
            >> Tom Hundt wrote:
            >>> Hey would it be possible to get an Apple platform build, please?
            >>> Or, if someone gives me the two-minute howto, I'll make one, but it'll
            >>> take me a while.
            >>> (Don't have the Apple devtools installed right now, but could get them
            >>> next week or so. Or are you using gcc or something else?)
            >>>
            >>> Thanks,
            >>>
            >>> -Th

            The http page is now restored - refresh in browser to ensure you have the latest view.

            http://www.jasspa.com/downapple.html

            BTW. I seem to have GCC v3.3 installed and a straight forward "build" in the source directory builds it.
            I think I must have downloaded this from here http://developer.apple.com/mac/ and used the XCode tools which include GCC.

          • Tom Hundt
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
              Jon, I use the 2006 version all the time.  It's this that's complaining that the new macro files are not compatible.  (Even though they seem to be.)  From what I can tell it is a Universal binary (so, PPC + Intel in one).  I'm pretty sure I got it off the website... (NB I'm running Intel.)  Perhaps when you build it, it creates it in this form.

                  file MicroEmacs
                  MicroEmacs: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
                  MicroEmacs (for architecture ppc):      Mach-O executable ppc
                  MicroEmacs (for architecture i386):     Mach-O executable i386

              I just downloaded jasspa-ne-apple-ppc-10.3-20060909.gz from the site, as you asked.  It runs no problem  :-)

                  file jasspa-ne-apple-ppc-10.3-20060909
                  jasspa-ne-apple-ppc-10.3-20060909: Mach-O executable ppc

              I guess these things are able to emulate PPC.  Better than nothing!

              If you get one built, let me know and I'll try it.

              Thanks!

              -Th

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 21, 2009
                Tom Hundt wrote:

                > Jon, I use the 2006 version all the time. It's this that's complaining
                > that the new macro files are not compatible. (Even though they seem to
                > be.) From what I can tell it is a Universal binary (so, PPC + Intel in
                > one). I'm pretty sure I got it off the website... (NB I'm running
                > Intel.) Perhaps when you build it, it creates it in this form.
                >
                > file MicroEmacs
                > MicroEmacs: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
                > MicroEmacs (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
                > MicroEmacs (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
                >
                > I just downloaded jasspa-ne-apple-ppc-10.3-20060909.gz from the site, as
                > you asked. It runs no problem :-)
                >
                > file jasspa-ne-apple-ppc-10.3-20060909
                > jasspa-ne-apple-ppc-10.3-20060909: Mach-O executable ppc
                >
                > I guess these things are able to emulate PPC. Better than nothing!
                >
                > If you get one built, let me know and I'll try it.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > -Th

                OK Thanks,

                The 20090909 that I built yesterday should be OK then as this is the same machine that I built the original 20060909.
                Will see if we can get somebody to build a Intel target as well.

                Thanks
                Jon.

                > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Jon Green <jon@...
                > <mailto:jon@...>> wrote:
                >
                > Tom Hundt wrote:
                > >

                > > Hey would it be possible to get an Apple platform build, please?
                > > Or, if someone gives me the two-minute howto, I'll make one, but
                > it'll
                > > take me a while.
                > > (Don't have the Apple devtools installed right now, but could get
                > them
                > > next week or so. Or are you using gcc or something else?)
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > -Th
                > >

                > Hi Tom,
                >
                > I can do you a build for PPC I do not have a Apple Intel kicking around.
                > That OK?
                >
                > It was years since I set the environment up so I cannot recall.
                > If you could use the old Darwin build of 090606 then this will be
                > the same.
                > You can try the executable by running "ne"; it is still on the site
                > in http://www.jasspa.com/release_20060909/
                >
                > Let me know if this is OK - build will take 30 minutes I guess by
                > the time I find the machine and keyboard etc.
                >
                > Regards
                > Jon

              • Tom Hundt
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 21, 2009
                  I grabbed the 20091011 PPC version and it works :-)    (on Intel)
                  Thank you!

                  -Th

                  --
                  Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698