Re: [jasspa] Problem editing file with multiple links

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2009
      Steven Phillips wrote:
      > Problem here is that copy often changes the properties of the file, from
      > date create & last modified to file permissions, and this properties
      > would then be permanently lost as the newly created file of the same
      > name would not inherit these properties (and rightly so). So ME
      > currently does the right thing.
      >
      > But the question I have is what platform are you using? Every unix
      > system I have used would not modify a symbolic link if the file it
      > pointed to was renamed, it would simply leave it dangling, this looks
      > more like a broken OS, trying to be too smart, than an ME bug!
      >
      > Steve

      I think the problem is possibly when editing a symbolic link as to whether the
      link should be resolved first before the edit operation is performed. This
      would involve changing directories to the origin of the link and then
      performing the edit operation.

      In some instances you might want this behaviour in others then you might not so
      there is not a clear cut decision either way as to what is best. i.e. I would
      want the current behaviour if I had created a symbolic link as a temporary fix
      to include some sort of file or directory. Conversely if I really wanted to
      edit the file at the end of the symbolic link then I would require the link to
      be resolved before I edited it.

      So I kind of think the behaviour at the moment is probably the correct
      behaviour and is certainly the safest. If you are editing a file that is a
      symbolic link then you should be editing it in the correct place (i.e. the
      original location) rather than an instance of it. Most of the symbolic links
      typically appear in the system directories such as /etc and one really does not
      want to be dealing with ambiguities of what file is what at this level.

      That is my 10c anyway.

      > Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:
      >> Hello Jasspa,
      >>
      >> I just ran into a situation where I had to edit a shell script with
      >> multiple links. The edit worked, but when it saved the file, it broke
      >> the links. The original link was renamed with a tilde at the end, and
      >> it saved the edited file as a new file.
      >>
      >> This is a problem, how can I stop this from happening. I'd like to
      >> change it so that it copies the original, and then saves the file over
      >> the original.
      >>

      >> Thanks in advance
      >>

      >> JBB
      >> ---
      >> Jonathan B. Bayer
      >>
      >> mailto:jbayer@...
      >>

      >> ------------------------------------

      >> modify your account settings manually.
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>

      > ------------------------------------

    • Jonathan B. Bayer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2009
        Hello Steven,

        This file wasn't a symbolic link, it was a regular link. With a
        regular link, the same inode is referenced by multiple directory
        entries. By first renaming the file, the other directory entries are
        now pointing to the renamed file. This breaks the intended linkage.

        Ubuntu 9.04

        JBB

        SP> Problem here is that copy often changes the properties of the file, from
        SP> date create & last modified to file permissions, and this properties
        SP> would then be permanently lost as the newly created file of the same
        SP> name would not inherit these properties (and rightly so). So ME
        SP> currently does the right thing.

        SP> But the question I have is what platform are you using? Every unix
        SP> system I have used would not modify a symbolic link if the file it
        SP> pointed to was renamed, it would simply leave it dangling, this looks
        SP> more like a broken OS, trying to be too smart, than an ME bug!

        SP> Steve

        SP> Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:
        >> Hello Jasspa,
        >>
        >> I just ran into a situation where I had to edit a shell script with
        >> multiple links. The edit worked, but when it saved the file, it broke
        >> the links. The original link was renamed with a tilde at the end, and
        >> it saved the edited file as a new file.
        >>
        >> This is a problem, how can I stop this from happening. I'd like to
        >> change it so that it copies the original, and then saves the file over
        >> the original.
        >>

        >> Thanks in advance
        >>

        >> JBB
        >> ---