Re: [jasspa] Problem editing file with multiple links

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2009
      Problem here is that copy often changes the properties of the file, from
      date create & last modified to file permissions, and this properties
      would then be permanently lost as the newly created file of the same
      name would not inherit these properties (and rightly so). So ME
      currently does the right thing.

      But the question I have is what platform are you using? Every unix
      system I have used would not modify a symbolic link if the file it
      pointed to was renamed, it would simply leave it dangling, this looks
      more like a broken OS, trying to be too smart, than an ME bug!

      Steve

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2009
        Steven Phillips wrote:
        > Problem here is that copy often changes the properties of the file, from
        > date create & last modified to file permissions, and this properties
        > would then be permanently lost as the newly created file of the same
        > name would not inherit these properties (and rightly so). So ME
        > currently does the right thing.
        >
        > But the question I have is what platform are you using? Every unix
        > system I have used would not modify a symbolic link if the file it
        > pointed to was renamed, it would simply leave it dangling, this looks
        > more like a broken OS, trying to be too smart, than an ME bug!
        >
        > Steve

        I think the problem is possibly when editing a symbolic link as to whether the
        link should be resolved first before the edit operation is performed. This
        would involve changing directories to the origin of the link and then
        performing the edit operation.

        In some instances you might want this behaviour in others then you might not so
        there is not a clear cut decision either way as to what is best. i.e. I would
        want the current behaviour if I had created a symbolic link as a temporary fix
        to include some sort of file or directory. Conversely if I really wanted to
        edit the file at the end of the symbolic link then I would require the link to
        be resolved before I edited it.

        So I kind of think the behaviour at the moment is probably the correct
        behaviour and is certainly the safest. If you are editing a file that is a
        symbolic link then you should be editing it in the correct place (i.e. the
        original location) rather than an instance of it. Most of the symbolic links
        typically appear in the system directories such as /etc and one really does not
        want to be dealing with ambiguities of what file is what at this level.

        That is my 10c anyway.

        > Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:
        >> Hello Jasspa,
        >>
        >> I just ran into a situation where I had to edit a shell script with
        >> multiple links. The edit worked, but when it saved the file, it broke
        >> the links. The original link was renamed with a tilde at the end, and
        >> it saved the edited file as a new file.
        >>
        >> This is a problem, how can I stop this from happening. I'd like to
        >> change it so that it copies the original, and then saves the file over
        >> the original.
        >>

        >> Thanks in advance
        >>

        >> JBB
        >> ---
        >> Jonathan B. Bayer
        >>
        >> mailto:jbayer@...
        >>

        >> ------------------------------------

        >> modify your account settings manually.
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>

        > ------------------------------------

      • Jonathan B. Bayer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2009
          Hello Steven,

          This file wasn't a symbolic link, it was a regular link. With a
          regular link, the same inode is referenced by multiple directory
          entries. By first renaming the file, the other directory entries are
          now pointing to the renamed file. This breaks the intended linkage.

          Ubuntu 9.04

          JBB

          SP> Problem here is that copy often changes the properties of the file, from
          SP> date create & last modified to file permissions, and this properties
          SP> would then be permanently lost as the newly created file of the same
          SP> name would not inherit these properties (and rightly so). So ME
          SP> currently does the right thing.

          SP> But the question I have is what platform are you using? Every unix
          SP> system I have used would not modify a symbolic link if the file it
          SP> pointed to was renamed, it would simply leave it dangling, this looks
          SP> more like a broken OS, trying to be too smart, than an ME bug!

          SP> Steve

          SP> Jonathan B. Bayer wrote:
          >> Hello Jasspa,
          >>
          >> I just ran into a situation where I had to edit a shell script with
          >> multiple links. The edit worked, but when it saved the file, it broke
          >> the links. The original link was renamed with a tilde at the end, and
          >> it saved the edited file as a new file.
          >>
          >> This is a problem, how can I stop this from happening. I'd like to
          >> change it so that it copies the original, and then saves the file over
          >> the original.
          >>

          >> Thanks in advance
          >>

          >> JBB
          >> ---