20090909 Linux, window height = entire screen

  • Tom Hundt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2009
      Hi, I'm having the following issue running the 20090909 release on CentOS Linux.

      Upon running the X11 version of the program, the window height expands
      to fill the entire screen, top to bottom. $frame-depth gets set
      accordingly (79, in my case).

      And, even weirder, the width. The first time it might be at 80, then
      when I exit and rerun it, it's 67, then like 30, then like 20, then
      like 8, then goes back to 80. Strange!

      It also resets to a tall+skinny size when I switch color schemes. I
      think it does a general "reset" of the display part of things when you
      switch schemes. It's this resetting that is guessing the size
      parameters wrong.

      It does it even without running company files. (I.e., just the
      default macros.) But, if I run the binary from the build directory
      (i.e., MEPATH not set, so it can't find *any* of the macro files), it
      works okay (and complains it can't find "me" i.e., me.emf -- as
      expected.). So, right now I'm guessing it's something in the macro
      files and/or the registry that's causing the problem.

      Q. How do you find out what the current registry file is? (in my case
      typically ~/.jasspa/thundt.erf -- but how to confirm?) This doesn't
      seem to be in any variable.

      I've been grepping for "-depth" (window-depth and frame-depth) in the
      macro files but haven't figured out which one it is. I'm wondering if
      it could be the registry. If I wipe mine out, it comes up with a
      window 30 x <screen-height> with the user-setup page in it.

      Workaround is to manually set the $frame-depth to something
      reasonable, or move+resize the window. (Actually I have a macro that
      cycles through a few common width x depth combinations for me.)

      The weird thing about my setup is that it's a 3 monitors wide desktop.

      X11 client is Cygwin/X X Server 1.5.3 (20090222), ultimately on top of
      WinXP latest updates.

      Linux info is this:
      Linux <hostname_removed> 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen #1 SMP Thu May 7
      11:07:18 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      --
      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2009
        Tom Hundt wrote:
        > Hi, I'm having the following issue running the 20090909 release on CentOS Linux.
        >
        > Upon running the X11 version of the program, the window height expands
        > to fill the entire screen, top to bottom. $frame-depth gets set
        > accordingly (79, in my case).
        >
        > And, even weirder, the width. The first time it might be at 80, then
        > when I exit and rerun it, it's 67, then like 30, then like 20, then
        > like 8, then goes back to 80. Strange!
        >
        > It also resets to a tall+skinny size when I switch color schemes. I
        > think it does a general "reset" of the display part of things when you
        > switch schemes. It's this resetting that is guessing the size
        > parameters wrong.
        >
        > It does it even without running company files. (I.e., just the
        > default macros.) But, if I run the binary from the build directory
        > (i.e., MEPATH not set, so it can't find *any* of the macro files), it
        > works okay (and complains it can't find "me" i.e., me.emf -- as
        > expected.). So, right now I'm guessing it's something in the macro
        > files and/or the registry that's causing the problem.
        >
        > Q. How do you find out what the current registry file is? (in my case
        > typically ~/.jasspa/thundt.erf -- but how to confirm?) This doesn't
        > seem to be in any variable.
        >
        > I've been grepping for "-depth" (window-depth and frame-depth) in the
        > macro files but haven't figured out which one it is. I'm wondering if
        > it could be the registry. If I wipe mine out, it comes up with a
        > window 30 x <screen-height> with the user-setup page in it.
        >
        > Workaround is to manually set the $frame-depth to something
        > reasonable, or move+resize the window. (Actually I have a macro that
        > cycles through a few common width x depth combinations for me.)
        >
        > The weird thing about my setup is that it's a 3 monitors wide desktop.
        >
        > X11 client is Cygwin/X X Server 1.5.3 (20090222), ultimately on top of
        > WinXP latest updates.
        >
        > Linux info is this:
        > Linux <hostname_removed> 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen #1 SMP Thu May 7
        > 11:07:18 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,

        Hi Tom,

        You are not alone. I have seen this on Ubuntu 9.04 as well and am trying
        to figure out what it is. I don't think that there is a problem with
        with the macros because I run on Solaris all of the time and never have
        this problem. Solaris is well behaved, seems to be a new Linux thing.

        I have seen this problem on Linux even when I am using an .Xdefaults
        file which should over-ride everything. However when I am running a ssh
        -X session back to a Solaris X-Client then everything is fine again. Run
        on native Linux then it can sometimes be fine and other times it can be
        miss-behaved and like you say go full screen. Gut feeling is there is
        something changed in Xorg which is causing a bad value to be returned
        and messing things up.

        Will have to take this more seriously and see if I can track it down.
        Glad to know it is not just me. Will keep you informed.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 26, 2009
        • 1 Attachment
        • 4 KB
        Tom Hundt wrote:
        > Hi, I'm having the following issue running the 20090909 release on CentOS Linux.
        >
        > Upon running the X11 version of the program, the window height expands
        > to fill the entire screen, top to bottom. $frame-depth gets set
        > accordingly (79, in my case).
        >
        > And, even weirder, the width. The first time it might be at 80, then
        > when I exit and rerun it, it's 67, then like 30, then like 20, then
        > like 8, then goes back to 80. Strange!
        >
        > It also resets to a tall+skinny size when I switch color schemes. I
        > think it does a general "reset" of the display part of things when you
        > switch schemes. It's this resetting that is guessing the size
        > parameters wrong.
        >
        > It does it even without running company files. (I.e., just the
        > default macros.) But, if I run the binary from the build directory
        > (i.e., MEPATH not set, so it can't find *any* of the macro files), it
        > works okay (and complains it can't find "me" i.e., me.emf -- as
        > expected.). So, right now I'm guessing it's something in the macro
        > files and/or the registry that's causing the problem.
        >
        > Q. How do you find out what the current registry file is? (in my case
        > typically ~/.jasspa/thundt.erf -- but how to confirm?) This doesn't
        > seem to be in any variable.
        >
        > I've been grepping for "-depth" (window-depth and frame-depth) in the
        > macro files but haven't figured out which one it is. I'm wondering if
        > it could be the registry. If I wipe mine out, it comes up with a
        > window 30 x <screen-height> with the user-setup page in it.
        >
        > Workaround is to manually set the $frame-depth to something
        > reasonable, or move+resize the window. (Actually I have a macro that
        > cycles through a few common width x depth combinations for me.)
        >
        > The weird thing about my setup is that it's a 3 monitors wide desktop.
        >
        > X11 client is Cygwin/X X Server 1.5.3 (20090222), ultimately on top of
        > WinXP latest updates.
        >
        > Linux info is this:
        > Linux <hostname_removed> 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen #1 SMP Thu May 7
        > 11:07:18 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,

        Hi Tom,

        Attached is a fix.

      • Tom Hundt
        Message 4 of 7 , Sep 26, 2009
          Thanks. I agree, I bet the x server is giving it a wrong value. It's
          almost like they were reversed, or something.

          -Tom

          Message 5 of 7 , Sep 26, 2009
            Tom Hundt wrote:
            > Thanks. I agree, I bet the x server is giving it a wrong value. It's
            > almost like they were reversed, or something.
            >
            > -Tom

            Hi Tom,

            There is now a new source bundle on www.jasspa.com dated 20090926. The
            main fixes in this are:

            * Linux build fix with GCC 4.3.3
            * Linux fix for X-Window size
            * Fix for ClearCase garbled data.

            I've also updated the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) package (guess where I was
            debugging).

          • Tom Hundt
            Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2009
              Okay, re my strange resizing problem (super tall, super skinny windows) I've figured it out.  (It finally dawned on me to run 'me -v\$debug=3' and just step through all the macros.)

              Line 391 of me.emf has this
                  4 popup-window

              about which the manpage says

                      When  n is 4 then both the frame position and frame size on the Desktop
                      Window is adjusted, this is the same as  3 except the frame size may
                      also be adjusted to fit on the desktop. The  name argument is not
                      required.

              If I comment out the line, everything works great. :-)

              -Th

              On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:
              Tom Hundt wrote:
              > Thanks. I agree, I bet the x server is giving it a wrong value. It's
              > almost like they were reversed, or something.
              >
              > -Tom

              Hi Tom,

              There is now a new source bundle on www.jasspa.com dated 20090926. The
              main fixes in this are:

              * Linux build fix with GCC 4.3.3
              * Linux fix for X-Window size
              * Fix for ClearCase garbled data.

              I've also updated the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) package (guess where I was
              debugging).

              ------------------------------------
              __
              Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2009
                On Tue 06/10/09 8:03 PM , "Tom Hundt" thundt@... sent:
                > Okay, re my strange resizing problem (super tall, super skinny
                > windows) I've figured it out.  (It finally dawned on me to run
                > 'me -v$debug=3' and just step through all the macros.)
                > Line 391 of me.emf has this     4 popup-window
                >
                > about which the manpage says
                >         When  n is 4 then both the frame position and frame
                > size on the Desktop        Window is adjusted, this is the same
                > as  3 except the frame size may         also be adjusted to fit
                > on the desktop. The  name argument is not        required.
                > If I comment out the line, everything works great. :-)
                > -Th

                Did you still have this problem with 20090926?

                Thanks
                Jon

                ---- Message sent via KC WebMail - http://webmail.mistral.net/