UTF-8 support?

  • Tom Hundt
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2009
      What's the story with UTF-8 support in ME? I've seen no mention of it
      anywhere. (For that matter, there's no support of Unicode, in
      general. Right?)

      It seems to be the de facto standard for web-related things like PHP
      and xml files.

      The good news is, it seems like ME doesn't screw up the encoding if it
      counters it. (It just leaves the "binary" characters alone, and the
      remaining ASCII is UTF-8 compatible.) This is good; at least I won't
      be breaking code.

      The bad news is, it doesn't display the "binary" characters combined
      into one Unicode character. So, it's more or less impossible to type
      the chars.

      I just installed the 090909 release to see if it had anything for
      this, but I haven't seen any.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

      Thanks

      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
    • Tom Hundt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2009
        What's the word on UTF-8 support in ME?  I've seen no mention of it
        anywhere.  (For that matter, there's no support of Unicode, in
        general, right?)

        UTF-8 seems to be the de facto standard for web-related things like
        PHP and xml files.

        The good news is, it seems like ME doesn't screw up the encoding if it
        counters it.  (It just leaves the "binary" characters alone, and the
        remaining ASCII is UTF-8 compatible.)  This is good; at least I won't
        be breaking code.

        The bad news is, it doesn't display the "binary" characters combined
        into one Unicode character.  So, it's more or less impossible to type
        these chars.

        I just installed the 090909 release to see if it had anything for
        this, but I haven't seen any.

        Granted, this stuff is tricky. UTF-8 is variable length, starting with
        ascii at 1 byte and moving to 2- 3-, and 4-byte sequences for more and
        more Unicode characters.

        --
        Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2009
          Tom Hundt wrote:
          > What's the story with UTF-8 support in ME? I've seen no mention of it
          > anywhere. (For that matter, there's no support of Unicode, in
          > general. Right?)
          >
          > It seems to be the de facto standard for web-related things like PHP
          > and xml files.
          >
          > The good news is, it seems like ME doesn't screw up the encoding if it
          > counters it. (It just leaves the "binary" characters alone, and the
          > remaining ASCII is UTF-8 compatible.) This is good; at least I won't
          > be breaking code.
          >
          > The bad news is, it doesn't display the "binary" characters combined
          > into one Unicode character. So, it's more or less impossible to type
          > the chars.
          >
          > I just installed the 090909 release to see if it had anything for
          > this, but I haven't seen any.
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > -Th

          Hi Tom,

          Bad news is nothing so far... we have lightly touched on it but neither
          of us has had enough time to do anything about it. We think that UTF-8
          should be workable internally given that we are running a char based
          scheme.

          So the main stumbling block is time. Obviously once you support UTF-8
          then everything else can then be worked into this i.e. UTF-8 can be the
          internal representation.

          So sorry, we know it is currently lacking and will have to be in the
          next release. As you figured out the display part needs to understand
          UTF-8 for both display and for length (although UTF-8 has a good way to
          work out the length of a character).

          We should concentrate on this as priority and get it rectified.