HELP: Need some help from Debian packaging expert

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2009
      Hi Christof (or anybody else)

      I've created set of Ubuntu 9.04 packages based on your original Debian
      source script that I downloaded from your site.

      I have changed these to 20090909 (obviously) and fixed the rules for
      jasspa-me which did not include Xpm in the build. I have also
      restructured both of the packages so that they use /use/share/jasspa by
      default and then there is no requirement to patch (also this is where
      they should be). In addition I have added a jasspa-microemacs.desktop.
      The problem I have at the moment I do not understand the .menu items and
      am concerned that the .desktop installation will conflict with the .menu
      item. Do you understand this enough to know if this is correct or
      whether I need to change it further?

      Also I have changed me-jasspa-data so that it installs into
      /usr/share/jasspa and is a multi-package and will also install the
      spelling dictionaries (i.e. the package name is "me-jasspa-enus" for the
      American dictionary etc.)

      For all packages there is now a

      make -f debian/rules get-orig-source

      which gets the original source bundle using wget.

      Because I am not an expert the basic commands I am using are:

      dpkg -i me-jasspa_0.0.20090909.deb # Install package
      dpkg -r me-jasspa # Remove package
      dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -tc # Build
      dpkg-deb -c me-jasspa_0.0.20090909.deb # Check

      The packages that I have built are available here for testing/comment.
      DO NOT USE AT THE MOMENT UNTIL THEY ARE CONFIRMED.

      http://www.jasspa.com/release_20090909/debian/

      Also are you (Christof) able to continue to host them from your site or
      do I need to set up a APT repository?

      Thanks
      Jon
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2009
        Jon Green wrote:
        > Hi Christof (or anybody else)
        >
        > I've created set of Ubuntu 9.04 packages based on your original Debian
        > source script that I downloaded from your site.
        >
        > I have changed these to 20090909 (obviously) and fixed the rules for
        > jasspa-me which did not include Xpm in the build. I have also
        > restructured both of the packages so that they use /use/share/jasspa by
        > default and then there is no requirement to patch (also this is where
        > they should be). In addition I have added a jasspa-microemacs.desktop.
        > The problem I have at the moment I do not understand the .menu items and
        > am concerned that the .desktop installation will conflict with the .menu
        > item. Do you understand this enough to know if this is correct or
        > whether I need to change it further?
        >
        > Also I have changed me-jasspa-data so that it installs into
        > /usr/share/jasspa and is a multi-package and will also install the
        > spelling dictionaries (i.e. the package name is "me-jasspa-enus" for the
        > American dictionary etc.)
        >
        > For all packages there is now a
        >
        > make -f debian/rules get-orig-source
        >
        > which gets the original source bundle using wget.
        >
        > Because I am not an expert the basic commands I am using are:
        >
        > dpkg -i me-jasspa_0.0.20090909.deb # Install package
        > dpkg -r me-jasspa # Remove package
        > dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -tc # Build
        > dpkg-deb -c me-jasspa_0.0.20090909.deb # Check
        >
        > The packages that I have built are available here for testing/comment.
        > DO NOT USE AT THE MOMENT UNTIL THEY ARE CONFIRMED.
        >
        > http://www.jasspa.com/release_20090909/debian/
        >
        > Also are you (Christof) able to continue to host them from your site or
        > do I need to set up a APT repository?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Jon

        I think I have sorted this out now and have uploaded some new images if
        somebody can give them a try. i.e. for me to install on my machine with
        the American + British spelling I need to download and install with:

        dpkg -i me-jasspa_0.0.20090909_i386.deb
        dpkg -i me-jasspa-data_0.0.20090909_all.deb
        dpkg -i me-jasspa-engb_0.0.20090909_all.deb
        dpkg -i me-jasspa-enus_0.0.20090909_all.deb

        Regards
        Jon