Re: [jasspa] problems with window size

  • Christof Boeckler
    Message 1 of 9 , May 17, 2009
      Jon Green schrieb:
      > Christof Boeckler wrote:
      >> Jon,
      >>
      >> thanks for your reply!
      >> I tried your settings but they did not solve my problem although it has
      >> some effect.
      >> The problem seems to be at a different level because the settings in
      >> .Xdefaults only have an effect if I start ME from a terminal. If I start
      >> it through a keyboard shortcut it looks different (size, position).
      >> I need to explore this further ...
      >>
      >> Christof
      >
      > Hi Christof,

      Hi Jon,

      > OK edit the *.erf and delete the lines
      >
      > "frame-depth" = "86"
      > "frame-width" = "168"

      I deleted those now.

      > Best to shut down all instances of "me" and then use gedit, ne or
      > something to hack the .erf file to delete the lines. Then when you run
      > up again the .Xdefaults will have priority.

      I tried to narrow down the cause of my problems systematically and found
      out that settings in .Xdefaults have no effect.
      Actually on my system the file .Xdefaults isn't even touched by ME (as
      strace tells me), only a file .Xdefaults-thinkpad (thinkpad is my
      hostname) is tried to be read (in accordance with X(7)). Setting up a
      symlink .Xdefaults-thinkpad -> .Xdefaults doesn't change the behaviour,
      although the file is read. (Your settings give me a 73x14+287+210 window.)

      I wonder what the interface for setting windows sizes is (in regard to
      the X server and/or window manager). With other applications (e.g.
      Mozilla Thunderbird) I can perfectly set up geometry properties through
      my window manager's configuration (similar to .Xdefaults). With ME it
      does not work.

      Is ME making any attempts to set its "window size" or is this totally up
      to the window manager? Who is responsible for placing and sizing the ME
      window? I really want this to be fixed.

      > Hope that helps
      > Jon.

      Sorry, not yet.

      Christof
      Message 2 of 9 , May 17, 2009
        Christof Boeckler wrote:
        > Jon Green schrieb:
        >> Christof Boeckler wrote:
        >>> Jon,
        >>>
        >>> thanks for your reply!
        >>> I tried your settings but they did not solve my problem although it has
        >>> some effect.
        >>> The problem seems to be at a different level because the settings in
        >>> .Xdefaults only have an effect if I start ME from a terminal. If I start
        >>> it through a keyboard shortcut it looks different (size, position).
        >>> I need to explore this further ...
        >>>
        >>> Christof
        >> Hi Christof,
        >
        > Hi Jon,
        >
        >> OK edit the *.erf and delete the lines
        >>
        >> "frame-depth" = "86"
        >> "frame-width" = "168"
        >
        > I deleted those now.
        >
        >> Best to shut down all instances of "me" and then use gedit, ne or
        >> something to hack the .erf file to delete the lines. Then when you run
        >> up again the .Xdefaults will have priority.
        >
        > I tried to narrow down the cause of my problems systematically and found
        > out that settings in .Xdefaults have no effect.
        > Actually on my system the file .Xdefaults isn't even touched by ME (as
        > strace tells me), only a file .Xdefaults-thinkpad (thinkpad is my
        > hostname) is tried to be read (in accordance with X(7)). Setting up a
        > symlink .Xdefaults-thinkpad -> .Xdefaults doesn't change the behaviour,
        > although the file is read. (Your settings give me a 73x14+287+210 window.)
        >
        > I wonder what the interface for setting windows sizes is (in regard to
        > the X server and/or window manager). With other applications (e.g.
        > Mozilla Thunderbird) I can perfectly set up geometry properties through
        > my window manager's configuration (similar to .Xdefaults). With ME it
        > does not work.
        >
        > Is ME making any attempts to set its "window size" or is this totally up
        > to the window manager? Who is responsible for placing and sizing the ME
        > window? I really want this to be fixed.

        The size is controlled by X-Windows via the X-Window resource management
        and the size hints. My guess is that the likes of Thunderbird etc. are
        controlled through some Gtk configuration rather than X-Windows.

        The code that does this is in unixterm.c in function XTERMstart(). me
        does not read the file directly, it is up to the window manager to
        retrieve this information and then return it.

        I cannot say that I have ever had a problem with this it has always
        worked for me on Solaris, HP-UX and SGI. Cannot recall for Linux because
        I do not use Linux much as a general working environment (I assume you
        are on Linux) but cannot recall a problem.

        For you to be using .Xdefaults-thinkpad then you must be running a
        remote desktop.

        I think you are going to have to trace this through, build a debug image
        and then break from XTERMstart tracing it through to see what X returns
        and how it is set up. Or use a few well chosen printf's temporarily to
        see what is going on.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2009
          The X function call used to get the start-up geometry info is:

              XrmGetResource(rdb,"MicroEmacs.geometry","MicroEmacs.Geometry",&retType,&retVal)

          As Jon says, the most likely cause is that Gtk is not honouring this original way of configuring X applications, have things moved on in the Linux world? So another possible way of resolving this is to find out what config files your Window manager does read and put a suitable configuration in one of those...

          Steve

        • Christof Boeckler
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2009
            Steven Phillips schrieb:
            > The X function call used to get the start-up geometry info is:
            >
            > XrmGetResource( rdb,"MicroEmacs. geometry" ,"MicroEmacs. Geometry"
            > ,&retType,&retVal)

            This function call returns 0. This means the requested resource was not
            found, although I put exactly Jon's resource line in my .Xdefaults file (
            and that was read through the symlink I created earlier today).

            > As Jon says, the most likely cause is that Gtk is not honouring this
            > original way of configuring X applications, have things moved on in the
            > Linux world? So another possible way of resolving this is to find out
            > what config files your Window manager does read and put a suitable
            > configuration in one of those...

            I tried to put the setting in such a file but no effect. In fact I
            started doing this and stumbled upon this problem.

            I will now try to find out, why IceWM is not honouring my settings.

            > Steve

            Thank you both for your help!

            Christof