problems with window size

  • Christof Boeckler
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16 12:16 AM
      Hi list,

      I have a serious problem with ME window sizing behaviour. I can't
      remember exactly when it emerged, but I am quite sure that it is related
      to my recently growing screen resolutions. I went from 1024x768 to
      1280x1024 an the problems began if I remember correctly. Lately I even
      switched to 1600x1200 and here's the mess:

      When I start me it seems impossible to tell it wich screen size it shoult
      have not to speakof the position.
      First I tried the generic X option -geometry but me doesn't support this
      option.
      Then I tried to store the frame size from inside me. At the next start
      every size and position is possible, from tiny to ridiculusly huge windows.
      My last resort was to set the X properties of me with no effect. (I use
      IceWM on Linux and it has the ability to specify per window sizing
      options in the -geometry option style.)

      If I maximise me I get the following variable values:
      $frame-depth .................. "57"
      $frame-width .................. "159"
      $window-depth ................. "26"
      $window-width ................. "158"

      I am definitely annoyed by resizing me everytime I start it. Is this
      expected behaviour or simply a bug? Is there hope or help?

      Christof
    • Christof Boeckler
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16 1:41 AM
        I need to correct myself:

        After having stored the frame size (from within the modeline) the window
        size is reliably the same. But still the position of the newly created
        window can't be controlled in advance. Once it's top left, next time
        hanging out of the lower right corner or vice versa.
        Implementing the -geometry option would solve this issue I guess.
        Any ideas?

        Christof

        Message 3 of 9 , May 16 4:17 AM
          Christof Boeckler wrote:
          > Hi list,
          >
          > I have a serious problem with ME window sizing behaviour. I can't
          > remember exactly when it emerged, but I am quite sure that it is related
          > to my recently growing screen resolutions. I went from 1024x768 to
          > 1280x1024 an the problems began if I remember correctly. Lately I even
          > switched to 1600x1200 and here's the mess:
          >
          > When I start me it seems impossible to tell it wich screen size it shoult
          > have not to speakof the position.
          > First I tried the generic X option -geometry but me doesn't support this
          > option.
          > Then I tried to store the frame size from inside me. At the next start
          > every size and position is possible, from tiny to ridiculusly huge windows.
          > My last resort was to set the X properties of me with no effect. (I use
          > IceWM on Linux and it has the ability to specify per window sizing
          > options in the -geometry option style.)
          >
          > If I maximise me I get the following variable values:
          > $frame-depth .................. "57"
          > $frame-width .................. "159"
          > $window-depth ................. "26"
          > $window-width ................. "158"
          >
          > I am definitely annoyed by resizing me everytime I start it. Is this
          > expected behaviour or simply a bug? Is there hope or help?
          >
          > Christof

          I use a .Xdefaults file when running on Sun Solaris as follows and have
          no problems as below.

          Jon.

          Dtwm*VCLSalFrame*secondariesOnTop: True
          !######################################################################
          !# #
          !# Defaults for MicroEmacs startup #
          !# #
          !######################################################################
          !# MicroEmacs.font: <fontname>
          !# Set the default font.
          !# MicroEmacs.font: -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*-*
          MicroEmacs.font: -*-clean-medium-r-*-*-*-130-*-*-*-*-*-*

          !# MicroEmacs.geometry: <char-width>x<char-height> {+/-}<xoffset>
          {+-}<yoffset>
          !# Set up the default screen size and position.
          !# 102x65 characters please, 30 pixels from top left
          MicroEmacs.geometry: 102x65 30 30

          !# MicroEmacs.name: <name>
          !# The name displayed in the title bar format is <name>: <file>
          MicroEmacs.name: JASSPAs MicroEmacs

          !# MicroEmacs: <icon-name>
          !# The name displayed when MicroEmacs is iconized
          MicroEmacs.iconname: JASSPAs MicroEmacs
        • Christof Boeckler
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16 9:28 AM
            Jon,

            thanks for your reply!
            I tried your settings but they did not solve my problem although it has
            some effect.
            The problem seems to be at a different level because the settings in
            .Xdefaults only have an effect if I start ME from a terminal. If I start
            it through a keyboard shortcut it looks different (size, position).
            I need to explore this further ...

            Christof

            Message 5 of 9 , May 16 12:49 PM
              Christof Boeckler wrote:
              > Jon,
              >
              > thanks for your reply!
              > I tried your settings but they did not solve my problem although it has
              > some effect.
              > The problem seems to be at a different level because the settings in
              > .Xdefaults only have an effect if I start ME from a terminal. If I start
              > it through a keyboard shortcut it looks different (size, position).
              > I need to explore this further ...
              >
              > Christof

              Hi Christof,

              OK edit the *.erf and delete the lines

              "frame-depth" = "86"
              "frame-width" = "168"

              I think these are set when you right click on the toolbar line and there
              is an option called "Store Frame Size". I never use this so my values
              are not set in my .erf.

              Best to shut down all instances of "me" and then use gedit, ne or
              something to hack the .erf file to delete the lines. Then when you run
              up again the .Xdefaults will have priority.

              Hope that helps
              Jon.

              > Jon Green schrieb:
              >> I use a .Xdefaults file when running on Sun Solaris as follows and have
              >> no problems as below.
              >>
              >> Jon.
              >>
              >> Dtwm*VCLSalFrame* secondariesOnTop : True
              >> !########### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########
              >> #####
              >> !# #
              >> !# Defaults for MicroEmacs startup #
              >> !# #
              >> !########### ######### ######### ######### ######### ######### #########
              >> #####
              >> !# MicroEmacs.font: <fontname>
              >> !# Set the default font.
              >> !# MicroEmacs.font: -*-lucidatypewriter -medium-r- *-*-*-120- *-*-m-*-* -*
              >> MicroEmacs.font: -*-clean-medium- r-*-*-*-130- *-*-*-*-* -*
              >>
              >> !# MicroEmacs.geometry : <char-width> x<char-height> {+/-}<xoffset>
              >> {+-}<yoffset>
              >> !# Set up the default screen size and position.
              >> !# 102x65 characters please, 30 pixels from top left
              >> MicroEmacs.geometry : 102x65 30 30
              >>
              >> !# MicroEmacs.name: <name>
              >> !# The name displayed in the title bar format is <name>: <file>
              >> MicroEmacs.name: JASSPAs MicroEmacs
              >>
              >> !# MicroEmacs: <icon-name>
              >> !# The name displayed when MicroEmacs is iconized
              >> MicroEmacs.iconname : JASSPAs MicroEmacs
              >

              > ------------------------------------

            • Christof Boeckler
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17 2:12 AM
                Jon Green schrieb:
                > Christof Boeckler wrote:
                >> Jon,
                >>
                >> thanks for your reply!
                >> I tried your settings but they did not solve my problem although it has
                >> some effect.
                >> The problem seems to be at a different level because the settings in
                >> .Xdefaults only have an effect if I start ME from a terminal. If I start
                >> it through a keyboard shortcut it looks different (size, position).
                >> I need to explore this further ...
                >>
                >> Christof
                >
                > Hi Christof,

                Hi Jon,

                > OK edit the *.erf and delete the lines
                >
                > "frame-depth" = "86"
                > "frame-width" = "168"

                I deleted those now.

                > Best to shut down all instances of "me" and then use gedit, ne or
                > something to hack the .erf file to delete the lines. Then when you run
                > up again the .Xdefaults will have priority.

                I tried to narrow down the cause of my problems systematically and found
                out that settings in .Xdefaults have no effect.
                Actually on my system the file .Xdefaults isn't even touched by ME (as
                strace tells me), only a file .Xdefaults-thinkpad (thinkpad is my
                hostname) is tried to be read (in accordance with X(7)). Setting up a
                symlink .Xdefaults-thinkpad -> .Xdefaults doesn't change the behaviour,
                although the file is read. (Your settings give me a 73x14+287+210 window.)

                I wonder what the interface for setting windows sizes is (in regard to
                the X server and/or window manager). With other applications (e.g.
                Mozilla Thunderbird) I can perfectly set up geometry properties through
                my window manager's configuration (similar to .Xdefaults). With ME it
                does not work.

                Is ME making any attempts to set its "window size" or is this totally up
                to the window manager? Who is responsible for placing and sizing the ME
                window? I really want this to be fixed.

                > Hope that helps
                > Jon.

                Sorry, not yet.

                Christof
                Message 7 of 9 , May 17 5:47 AM
                  Christof Boeckler wrote:
                  > Jon Green schrieb:
                  >> Christof Boeckler wrote:
                  >>> Jon,
                  >>>
                  >>> thanks for your reply!
                  >>> I tried your settings but they did not solve my problem although it has
                  >>> some effect.
                  >>> The problem seems to be at a different level because the settings in
                  >>> .Xdefaults only have an effect if I start ME from a terminal. If I start
                  >>> it through a keyboard shortcut it looks different (size, position).
                  >>> I need to explore this further ...
                  >>>
                  >>> Christof
                  >> Hi Christof,
                  >
                  > Hi Jon,
                  >
                  >> OK edit the *.erf and delete the lines
                  >>
                  >> "frame-depth" = "86"
                  >> "frame-width" = "168"
                  >
                  > I deleted those now.
                  >
                  >> Best to shut down all instances of "me" and then use gedit, ne or
                  >> something to hack the .erf file to delete the lines. Then when you run
                  >> up again the .Xdefaults will have priority.
                  >
                  > I tried to narrow down the cause of my problems systematically and found
                  > out that settings in .Xdefaults have no effect.
                  > Actually on my system the file .Xdefaults isn't even touched by ME (as
                  > strace tells me), only a file .Xdefaults-thinkpad (thinkpad is my
                  > hostname) is tried to be read (in accordance with X(7)). Setting up a
                  > symlink .Xdefaults-thinkpad -> .Xdefaults doesn't change the behaviour,
                  > although the file is read. (Your settings give me a 73x14+287+210 window.)
                  >
                  > I wonder what the interface for setting windows sizes is (in regard to
                  > the X server and/or window manager). With other applications (e.g.
                  > Mozilla Thunderbird) I can perfectly set up geometry properties through
                  > my window manager's configuration (similar to .Xdefaults). With ME it
                  > does not work.
                  >
                  > Is ME making any attempts to set its "window size" or is this totally up
                  > to the window manager? Who is responsible for placing and sizing the ME
                  > window? I really want this to be fixed.

                  The size is controlled by X-Windows via the X-Window resource management
                  and the size hints. My guess is that the likes of Thunderbird etc. are
                  controlled through some Gtk configuration rather than X-Windows.

                  The code that does this is in unixterm.c in function XTERMstart(). me
                  does not read the file directly, it is up to the window manager to
                  retrieve this information and then return it.

                  I cannot say that I have ever had a problem with this it has always
                  worked for me on Solaris, HP-UX and SGI. Cannot recall for Linux because
                  I do not use Linux much as a general working environment (I assume you
                  are on Linux) but cannot recall a problem.

                  For you to be using .Xdefaults-thinkpad then you must be running a
                  remote desktop.

                  I think you are going to have to trace this through, build a debug image
                  and then break from XTERMstart tracing it through to see what X returns
                  and how it is set up. Or use a few well chosen printf's temporarily to
                  see what is going on.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 17 5:58 AM
                    The X function call used to get the start-up geometry info is:

                        XrmGetResource(rdb,"MicroEmacs.geometry","MicroEmacs.Geometry",&retType,&retVal)

                    As Jon says, the most likely cause is that Gtk is not honouring this original way of configuring X applications, have things moved on in the Linux world? So another possible way of resolving this is to find out what config files your Window manager does read and put a suitable configuration in one of those...

                    Steve

                  • Christof Boeckler
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 17 9:50 AM
                      Steven Phillips schrieb:
                      > The X function call used to get the start-up geometry info is:
                      >
                      > XrmGetResource( rdb,"MicroEmacs. geometry" ,"MicroEmacs. Geometry"
                      > ,&retType,&retVal)

                      This function call returns 0. This means the requested resource was not
                      found, although I put exactly Jon's resource line in my .Xdefaults file (
                      and that was read through the symlink I created earlier today).

                      > As Jon says, the most likely cause is that Gtk is not honouring this
                      > original way of configuring X applications, have things moved on in the
                      > Linux world? So another possible way of resolving this is to find out
                      > what config files your Window manager does read and put a suitable
                      > configuration in one of those...

                      I tried to put the setting in such a file but no effect. In fact I
                      started doing this and stumbled upon this problem.

                      I will now try to find out, why IceWM is not honouring my settings.

                      > Steve

                      Thank you both for your help!

                      Christof