Client-Server Problems with find-file, goto-line

  • Dr. Detlef Groth
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 8 11:01 PM
      Hello all,

      I would like to run a pipeline like:

      $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:find-file c:/path/to/
      Makefile'
      $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:goto-line 18'

      unfortunatly does not work. Sometimes the *server* window popups
      instead of the desired file argument and the file even if it popups
      does not have a focus

      cmds like
      $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:delete-other-windows'

      are simply ignored.

      A macro like:

      define-macro find-file-line
      find-file @1
      !if ¬ &equal 0 @2
      goto-line @2

      works if tested inside emacs but the invoked file-window does not get
      the focus if invoked from the commandline.

      Keeping short. I would like to invoke me with two arguments the file-
      name and a line number. The server should show at the end just one
      window with the right file at the right line.

      any suggestions ?

      regards,
      Detlef
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9 5:44 AM
        The server interface has deliberately been restricted to avoid the user
        accidentally breaking things (consider doing a large macro based
        operation to modify the current buffer when the server interface changes
        the current buffer half way through - the confusion this will create is
        going to hurt). But if you are convinced that this really is what you
        want (and you give up your right to sue when you corrupt your files :-))
        then I'll look into how to do this...

        Dr. Detlef Groth wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I would like to run a pipeline like:
        >
        > $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:find-file c:/path/to/
        > Makefile'
        > $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:goto-line 18'
        >
        > unfortunatly does not work. Sometimes the *server* window popups
        > instead of the desired file argument and the file even if it popups
        > does not have a focus
        >
        > cmds like
        > $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:delete-other-windows'
        >
        > are simply ignored.
        >
        > A macro like:
        >
        > define-macro find-file-line
        > find-file @1
        > !if ¬ &equal 0 @2
        > goto-line @2
        > !endif
        > !emacro
        >
        > works if tested inside emacs but the invoked file-window does not get
        > the focus if invoked from the commandline.
        >
        > Keeping short. I would like to invoke me with two arguments the file-
        > name and a line number. The server should show at the end just one
        > window with the right file at the right line.
        >
        > any suggestions ?
        >
        > regards,
        > Detlef

      • Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9 7:27 AM
          Hi Steven,

          I think the only thing I really would like to do is opening a file or reusing an existing buffer and optional going to a certain line number if line number is not null. As can be seen in the example macro. The reason for this, that is that I want to implement a tree control in Tcl/Tk which keeps track of my files and Tcl-classes and Tcl-Procs. Klicking on file should visit the appropiate buffer, clicking on a class-method or a file should open the file and jump to the appropiate line. Similar to a Tcl-proc. See the sample.gif

          Such feature which are common to eclipse and komodo for instance. Our me- toolbar is quite handy but with many projects and files it becomes to difficult to use.

          regards,
          Detlef

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------
          > Datum: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:44:40 +0100
          > Von: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
          > An: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
          > Betreff: Re: [jasspa] Client-Server Problems with find-file, goto-line

          > The server interface has deliberately been restricted to avoid the user
          > accidentally breaking things (consider doing a large macro based
          > operation to modify the current buffer when the server interface changes
          > the current buffer half way through - the confusion this will create is
          > going to hurt). But if you are convinced that this really is what you
          > want (and you give up your right to sue when you corrupt your files :-))
          > then I'll look into how to do this...
          >
          > Dr. Detlef Groth wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > I would like to run a pipeline like:
          > >
          > > $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:find-file c:/path/to/
          > > Makefile'
          > > $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:goto-line 18'
          > >
          > > unfortunatly does not work. Sometimes the *server* window popups
          > > instead of the desired file argument and the file even if it popups
          > > does not have a focus
          > >
          > > cmds like
          > > $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:delete-other-windows'
          > >
          > > are simply ignored.
          > >
          > > A macro like:
          > >
          > > define-macro find-file-line
          > > find-file @1
          > > !if ¬ &equal 0 @2
          > > goto-line @2
          > > !endif
          > > !emacro
          > >
          > > works if tested inside emacs but the invoked file-window does not get
          > > the focus if invoked from the commandline.
          > >
          > > Keeping short. I would like to invoke me with two arguments the file-
          > > name and a line number. The server should show at the end just one
          > > window with the right file at the right line.
          > >
          > > any suggestions ?
          > >
          > > regards,
          > > Detlef
          > >

          > ------------------------------------

          Dr.Detlef Groth
          Neue Scheune 5
          14548 Ferch
          Germany
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9 2:14 PM
            Detlef,

            I've worked out the best way to do this, you need 2 macros - the first
            is the one directly called by the client/server interface, this stores
            the information. The second is the one that actually does the work, it
            is executed via the callback mechanism from the first macro so it will
            not run until ME is idle and is reasonably safe to do so. Below are the
            2 macros, however I did hit a problem with the meserver.emf macro code,
            below is a fix, 2 lines need to be removed.

            Steve

            0 define-macro server-find-file-callback
            find-file .server-find-file.f
            delete-other-windows
            !if &gre .server-find-file.l 0
            !force goto-line .server-find-file.l
            !endif
            screen-update
            !emacro

            define-macro server-find-file
            !force set-variable .f @1
            !if $status
            !force set-variable .l @2
            !if ¬ $status
            set-variable .l 0
            !endif
            1 create-callback server-find-file-callback

            *** meserver.emf 4 Oct 2006 20:07:08 -0000 2.10
            --- meserver.emf 9 Apr 2008 20:53:03 -0000
            ***************
            *** 30,40 ****
            !force 0 find-buffer #l4
            !endif
            !force execute-line #l3
            - !if ¬ &seq $buffer-bname #l4
            set-variable #l4 $buffer-bname
            popup-window #l1
            set-variable &ind &spr ":%s-buffer" #l2 #l4
            - !endif
            !elif &seq @wc "M"
            set-variable #l2 &lget &rig @wl 1 1
            set-variable #l3 &rig @wl &add 3 &len #l2
            --- 30,38 ----

            Detlef Groth wrote:

> [...]
            > > > !if ¬ &equal 0 @2
            > > > goto-line @2
            > > > !endif
            > > > !emacro
            > > >
            > > > works if tested inside emacs but the invoked file-window does not get
            > > > the focus if invoked from the commandline.
            > > >
            > > > Keeping short. I would like to invoke me with two arguments the file-
            > > > name and a line number. The server should show at the end just one
            > > > window with the right file at the right line.
            > > >
            > > > any suggestions ?
            > > >
            > > > regards,
            > > > Detlef

            > > This is an unmoderated list, but new members are moderated to ensure
            > that
            > > there are no spam users. JASSPA is not responsible for the content of
            > > any material posted to this list.
            > >
            > > To un-subscribe, send a mail message to

            > <mailto:jasspa-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

          • Detlef Groth
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9 9:11 PM
              Thanks Steven,

              works like a charm:

              $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:server-find-file c:/home/dgroth/mycvs/mytcl/goblet1/conf/goblet.cfg 2'

              $ /c/Programme/jasspa/me32.exe -m 'C:ME:server-find-file c:/home/dgroth/mycvs/mytcl/goblet1/Makefile 13'

              now does indeed what it should.

              Just for curious, is it possible to invoke the client that way that the server just returns the actual value of a variable ($buffer-bname or $buffer-fname) as an example.

              This would be the last step to do such external me-extensions enabling auto-update of the source-tree for instance. We can invoke a client at regular intervals. Of course a socket communication would make this less heavy. It might be as well possible to alter save-file that it writes important variables into a communication file.

              regards,
              Detlef
              regards,
              Detlef
              -------- Original-Nachricht --------

              Dr.Detlef Groth
              Neue Scheune 5
              14548 Ferch
              Germany
            • Bryan Schofield
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10 5:40 AM
                Detlef -

                Once apon a time I integrated a TCL interpreter with MicroEmacs that
                provided a new ME command "tcl some tcl statement" and one new TCL
                command "emf some-me-macro" With just a little bit of macros and TCL
                procs it was very easy to get tight integration. It looks like you
                going down an ME based TCL IDE road, so this may be an option to
                consider.

                cheers

                -- bryan
              • Detlef Groth
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 10 6:59 AM
                  Hi Brian,

                  sounds very interesting,
                  do you have still some code around for the Tcl integration ?

                  regards,
                  Detlef
                  -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                  > Datum: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:40:37 -0400
                  > Von: "Bryan Schofield" <schofield.bryan@...>
                  > An: MicroEmacs <jasspa@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Betreff: RE: [jasspa] Client-Server Problems with find-file, goto-line

                  > Detlef -
                  >
                  > Once apon a time I integrated a TCL interpreter with MicroEmacs that
                  > provided a new ME command "tcl some tcl statement" and one new TCL
                  > command "emf some-me-macro" With just a little bit of macros and TCL
                  > procs it was very easy to get tight integration. It looks like you
                  > going down an ME based TCL IDE road, so this may be an option to
                  > consider.
                  >
                  > cheers
                  >
                  > -- bryan
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------

                  Dr.Detlef Groth
                  Neue Scheune 5
                  14548 Ferch
                  Germany
                • Bryan Schofield
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 10 7:13 AM
                    I'm afraid I can't find it, but I remember the changes were pretty
                    simple. A couple of C files. This would have been 3 years or so ago...
                    I can't search the Yahoo Groups archives (blocked by corporate web
                    proxy) but I know I posted something, whether it was code or not I
                    can't remember.

                    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Detlef Groth <dgroth@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Brian,
                    >
                    > sounds very interesting,
                    > do you have still some code around for the Tcl integration ?
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Detlef
                    > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                    > > Datum: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:40:37 -0400
                    > > Von: "Bryan Schofield" <schofield.bryan@...>
                    > > An: MicroEmacs <jasspa@yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Betreff: RE: [jasspa] Client-Server Problems with find-file, goto-line
                    >

                    > > Detlef -
                    > >
                    > > Once apon a time I integrated a TCL interpreter with MicroEmacs that
                    > > provided a new ME command "tcl some tcl statement" and one new TCL
                    > > command "emf some-me-macro" With just a little bit of macros and TCL
                    > > procs it was very easy to get tight integration. It looks like you
                    > > going down an ME based TCL IDE road, so this may be an option to
                    > > consider.
                    > >
                    > > cheers
                    > >
                    > > -- bryan

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Dr.Detlef Groth
                    > Neue Scheune 5
                    > 14548 Ferch
                    > Germany

                  • Dr. Detlef Groth
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 20, 2008
                      Hi all,

                      I finally found the time to interact with the ME-Server from an
                      Tcl-Tree showing my project files see:
                      http://www.dgroth.de/downloads/me-no-ide.png

                      What disturbs me is that me opens a popup-window for the running
                      me-server. If I have just one window I would rather see after clicking
                      in the tree just again one window. This is especially true for the
                      second feature goto-line where I would like to jum to a certain method
                      of a class definition for example.

                      I tried to comment out popup-window invokations inside meserver.emf
                      but this does not work. Any idea ?

                      regards,
                      Detlef

                      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > accidentally breaking things (consider doing a large macro based
                      > > > operation to modify the current buffer when the server interface
                      > > changes
                      > > > the current buffer half way through - the confusion this will
                      create is
                      > > > going to hurt). But if you are convinced that this really is
                      what you
                      > > > want (and you give up your right to sue when you corrupt your files
                      > > :-))
                      > > > then I'll look into how to do this...

                      > > > This is an unmoderated list, but new members are moderated to
                      ensure
                      > > that
                      > > > there are no spam users. JASSPA is not responsible for the
                      content of
                      > > > any material posted to this list.
                      > > >
                      > > > To un-subscribe, send a mail message to

                      > > <mailto:jasspa-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Dr. Detlef Groth
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 20, 2008
                        Hi.

                        sorry, but I found the solution myself. Of course I have to use just
                        the server-find-file command from below instead of find-file:

                        The Tcl-command is:
                        exec $me -m "C:ME:server-find-file $path" &

                        regards,
                        Detlef