hi MicroEmacs Users and developers !!

  • Pablo Mercader Alcantara
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 22, 2008
      I feel very happy that a text editor like MicroEmacs exists, i love it
      just like it is. But I had two little inconvinients using it, one is
      the multi-byte files thing, and the other one is that i liked the
      transparent background on linux consoles and it doesn't work with
      micro emacs.

      I already hear that the first one is very hard to solve, but what
      about the second one transparent background on linux consoles, what do
      i have to seek for ?? is there any place where i can change the color
      maping ?? where is it ??.

      i so that "Jeremy" wrote a message about this (#972) but no one aswered...

      i sopose that i'll have to recompile it.

      Thankyou guys !!!
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22, 2008
        Pablo Mercader Alcantara wrote:
        > I feel very happy that a text editor like MicroEmacs exists, i love it
        > just like it is. But I had two little inconvinients using it, one is
        > the multi-byte files thing, and the other one is that i liked the
        > transparent background on linux consoles and it doesn't work with
        > micro emacs.
        >
        > I already hear that the first one is very hard to solve, but what
        > about the second one transparent background on linux consoles, what do
        > i have to seek for ?? is there any place where i can change the color
        > maping ?? where is it ??.
        >
        > i so that "Jeremy" wrote a message about this (#972) but no one aswered...
        >
        > i sopose that i'll have to recompile it.
        >

        > Thankyou guys !!!

        Hi Pablo,

        With respect to multi-byte, a few people have asked but there as been no
        real attempt to look at this in any detail. So this is one for the
        future if it really becomes necessary - for the time being then no.

        As for transparent backgrounds, you are referring to the console here,
        rather then the X-window. There is no code in here that supports the
        transparent background and will need a source code change.

        We are too busy at the moment to look at this, but if you are able to
        make the necessary changes in the termcap code then you could attempt to
        implement it yourself. I did look at it briefly about a year ago and
        felt that it would not be too difficult.

      • thundt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22, 2008
          Hey, if it's a console xterm type of window, then the transparent might
          map to one of the ansi colors... anything displayed in that color comes
          out as transparent...

          If that's the case, then all you have to do is either map the right
          color (for the scheme ME is using) in the xterm, or, map the right color
          (the one for "transparent") in the ME scheme. You can use the scheme
          editor, or edit a scheme manually. (I hacked a schemeXX.emf file
          manually once, let me know if you want me to send it.) The ansi colors
          (I think there are 16 combinations: 8 colors each in "bright" and
          "normal" versions) are a subset of the available colors (8-bit rgb)
          defined in the scheme file.

          Hope this helps...

          -Tom

          Jon Green wrote:
          > Pablo Mercader Alcantara wrote:
          >> I feel very happy that a text editor like MicroEmacs exists, i love it
          >> just like it is. But I had two little inconvinients using it, one is
          >> the multi-byte files thing, and the other one is that i liked the
          >> transparent background on linux consoles and it doesn't work with
          >> micro emacs.
          >>
          >> I already hear that the first one is very hard to solve, but what
          >> about the second one transparent background on linux consoles, what do
          >> i have to seek for ?? is there any place where i can change the color
          >> maping ?? where is it ??.
          >>
          >> i so that "Jeremy" wrote a message about this (#972) but no one aswered...
          >>
          >> i sopose that i'll have to recompile it.
          >>

          >> Thankyou guys !!!
          >>

          > Hi Pablo,
          >
          > With respect to multi-byte, a few people have asked but there as been no
          > real attempt to look at this in any detail. So this is one for the
          > future if it really becomes necessary - for the time being then no.
          >
          > As for transparent backgrounds, you are referring to the console here,
          > rather then the X-window. There is no code in here that supports the
          > transparent background and will need a source code change.
          >
          > We are too busy at the moment to look at this, but if you are able to
          > make the necessary changes in the termcap code then you could attempt to
          > implement it yourself. I did look at it briefly about a year ago and
          > felt that it would not be too difficult.

          Thomas Hundt <tom@...>
        • Pablo Mercader Alcantara
          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2008
            Good nights !

            I thought that this would be easier, i couldn't make transparent the
            me's background on the X (i'm using gnome-terminal and
            xfce4-terminal). i was thinking that this is a dummy subject, and
            right now i don't have the time to play with me source (i'm a newbie,
            but i've never fear the code and won't start now), so i'll kind of
            retire from this battle, but i'll be back.

            By now i've only read something about termcap and i've made all kind
            of modifications to scheme files, but i haven't found anything that
            does what i want. I just wanted to use me as i used emacs with the
            sintax and everything in the transparent background, it was nice. but
            i guess i'll have to do it later.

            mmm ... one final question, me uses termcap to handle the screen and
            the input (in a xterm), but what about ncurses, i think that emacs
            uses ncurses, i know that it would be hard work to re-write me to use
            ncurses insted of termcap, but isn't ncurses a better library, better
            than termcap ??

            Message 5 of 5 , May 16, 2008
              Note: my suggestion pertained to running ME inside an xterm (in other
              words, 'me -n' or the 'mec' version which is console-only). Not as a
              native X app. So, if it's in a console window, and you've already
              figured out how to get the console window transparent, ME will be
              transparent, too (if you set the right background color). That's the
              theory, anyway. Maybe, as Jon says below, it's not possible.

              Re ncurses, I think most people, most of the time, use it as a native X
              app. And yes, you're probably right, ncurses/terminfo is newer than
              straight termcap... but every system I've seen so far has some kind of
              libtermcap available, so is there really a reason to retarget it? (For
              me, for example, I wouldn't spend time on that, since it works very well
              -- I'd rather port it to be a native Mac app, as that's where my
              interests lie at the moment.)

              Have fun

              -Tom Hundt