appending to "kill ring"

  • Reza Roboubi
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 16, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm trying to do something like this, but it's not working:
      ########
      define-macro append-region
      set-variable @cl copy-region
      copy-region
      !emacro
      global-bind-key append-region "C-a"
      #########

      What's the best way to achieve what I need? I need to "grab" several items and copy them
      elsewhere all at once.

      Thanks for any help in advance.

      Reza.

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
        This works fine for me, so:
        - Are you using a reasonable version of ME?
        - Are you sure the key is bound correctly and not being overridden? (i.e. that this macro is being called - try using esc-x append-region)
        - Could something else be trashing the kill buffer before you do a yank?

        Steve

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2007
          --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@...> wrote:

          > This works fine for me, so:
          > - Are you using a reasonable version of ME?

          jasspa-mecd-full-20060909.iso

          > - Are you sure the key is bound correctly and not being overridden?
          > (i.e. that this macro is being called - try using esc-x
          > append-region)

          Yes. (describe-key returns fine)

          > - Could something else be trashing the kill buffer before you do a
          > yank?

          Yes! Apparently, whenever I select any text, the kill buffer
          automatically becomes equal to it! What's the deal?

          Thanks so much.

          Reza.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 2007
            How are you selecting text? If you are using the mouse or you have option user-setup -> Start-Up -> MS Shift Region enabled then this is probably to be expected...

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 18, 2007
              --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@...> wrote:

              > How are you selecting text? If you are using the mouse or you have
              > option user-setup -> Start-Up -> MS Shift Region enabled then this is
              > probably to be expected...

              Indeed, when I use the set-mark command it works! Out of curiosity,
              how come the shift-* stuff fails anyway?

              And thanks a lot :-)

              Reza.