Re: [jasspa] piping it in

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2007
      Ian wrote:
      > This sort of an rtfm-question, but...
      >
      > ?what? is the correct syntax for invoking grep on a buffer,
      > and piping it into another (preferably on-the-fly-one)?

      If you really do want to run a shell command on the actual contents of a
      buffer from the command line then use

      filter-buffer "<command line with stdin/stdout options>"

      I do think that this is actually what you want to do.

      For grep <files> then use "M-x grep" the variable "%grep-com" is the
      standard options.

      The command "M-x uniq" and "M-x sort" work between point and mark and
      are buffer equivalents of the standard UNIX commands.

      For standard command line stuff then simply use "ipipe-shell-command"
      and add the appropriate command line, the output is left in a '*'
      temporary buffer.

      > Similarly for 'sort' (with args); uniq etc. I must be doing something
      > wrong, 'cause no dice.
      >
      > Soon frustrated-no-mo' i-hope

      Sorry for the late response - not been around.

      Hope that helps.