(how-to) prevent unbinding of RETURN ?

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2007
      Hi,
      while using 20060909 for 10.3 MacOS....

      ... accidentially managed to unbind the RETURN terminator, then had to
      force-quit the shell entirely, as no amount of fiddling allowed me to
      recover it.

      How do I prevent that from happening in the future?

      (in other words: what is the prescribed way of exiting the potentially
      destructive global-unbind-key op ["esc C-k"] ?)

      Also, sorry if that's an RTFM question: is there an equivalent to
      ME3.9 emacs.rc file in the distribution, one executed by default upon
      launch?

      Thanks in advance.

      Ian
      this post <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/jasspa/message/2247>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2007
        Ian wrote:
        > Hi,
        > while using 20060909 for 10.3 MacOS....
        >
        > ... accidentially managed to unbind the RETURN terminator, then had to
        > force-quit the shell entirely, as no amount of fiddling allowed me to
        > recover it.
        >
        > How do I prevent that from happening in the future?
        >
        > (in other words: what is the prescribed way of exiting the potentially
        > destructive global-unbind-key op ["esc C-k"] ?)
        >
        > Also, sorry if that's an RTFM question: is there an equivalent to
        > ME3.9 emacs.rc file in the distribution, one executed by default upon
        > launch?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Ian
        > this post <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/jasspa/message/2247>

        Hi Ian,

        I know you are transitioning across (I saw your subscribe message) - it
        will take a little while to get familiar, but not long.

        Hopefully you have found <user>.emf file - not sure where this lives on
        a Mac, but it is in your home directory. This is equivalent to your old
        ue emacs.rc (You should find it here $home/.jasspa/<user>.emf). esc-x
        user-setup tells you where it is.

        In the distribution macros i.e. /opt/jasspa/contrib or
        /usr/share/jasspa/contrib or c:\program files\jasspa\microemacs\contrib
        etc. then there is a file called "user.emf". This has lots of stuff in
        it that may be useful for new users. You can copy this into your
        <user>.emf in full or take bits from it and add.

        Right at the bottom of this file you will see how to disable the unbind
        key which is as follows:

        ; If you loose the C-k kill-line key then you are miss-typing and unbinding.
        ; Remove the global-unbind-key binding so this cannot happen.
        !force global-unbind-key "esc C-k"

        So add this to your <user>.emf and then restart (or do esc-x
        execute-buffer to load it in).

        Hope that helps.