system wide font size

  • Christof Boeckler
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
      Hi all,

      I would like to enlarge the system wide font size for ME on Solaris.
      The new 19 inch TFTs in our computer lab make the default font size (15
      pt) look very tiny.
      According to change-font(2) I could set thing up in my personal
      .Xdefaults file, but I see no way to do that in a system wide ME global
      setup file (I installed ME there) for all users. Otherwise most people
      will refuse to consider ME a useful tool.

      Gruß / Regards
      Christof

      --
      http://badvista.fsf.org - it's time to leave!
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2007
        Christof Boeckler wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I would like to enlarge the system wide font size for ME on Solaris.
        > The new 19 inch TFTs in our computer lab make the default font size (15
        > pt) look very tiny.
        > According to change-font(2) I could set thing up in my personal
        > .Xdefaults file, but I see no way to do that in a system wide ME global
        > setup file (I installed ME there) for all users. Otherwise most people
        > will refuse to consider ME a useful tool.
        >
        > Gruß / Regards
        > Christof

        Sounds like you are sysadmin on this - why not edit me.emf and add a
        little start-up macro that:

        a) Sets the font to new default.
        b) Checks the users .Xdefaults file for a "MicroEmacs.font" entry, if it
        does not exist then adds one (or creates the file if it does not exist).

        I like option b) better than a) because it will not cause any re-sizze
        anomalies and allows the user to change it themselves and not get your
        default as part of the start-up.

        Now I'm sure that writing a macro for b) is going to be fairly easy -
        but a little late for me at the moment.

        i.e.
        find-file ~/.Xdefaults
        search-forward "^MicroEmacs.font"
        if it does not exist
        end-of-buffer
        insert-string "MicroEmacs.font ..."
        save the file
        endif
        kill-buffer ".Xdefault"

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2007
          Jon Green wrote:
          > Christof Boeckler wrote:
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> I would like to enlarge the system wide font size for ME on Solaris.
          >> The new 19 inch TFTs in our computer lab make the default font size (15
          >> pt) look very tiny.
          >> According to change-font(2) I could set thing up in my personal
          >> .Xdefaults file, but I see no way to do that in a system wide ME global
          >> setup file (I installed ME there) for all users. Otherwise most people
          >> will refuse to consider ME a useful tool.
          >>
          >> Gruß / Regards
          >> Christof
          >>

          > Sounds like you are sysadmin on this - why not edit me.emf and add a
          > little start-up macro that:
          >
          > a) Sets the font to new default.
          > b) Checks the users .Xdefaults file for a "MicroEmacs.font" entry, if it
          > does not exist then adds one (or creates the file if it does not exist).
          >
          > I like option b) better than a) because it will not cause any re-sizze
          > anomalies and allows the user to change it themselves and not get your
          > default as part of the start-up.
          >
          > Now I'm sure that writing a macro for b) is going to be fairly easy -
          > but a little late for me at the moment.
          >
          > i.e.
          > find-file ~/.Xdefaults
          > search-forward "^MicroEmacs.font"
          > if it does not exist
          > end-of-buffer
          > insert-string "MicroEmacs.font ..."
          > save the file
          > endif
          > kill-buffer ".Xdefault"

          A good place to start is newuser.emf this is the start up that
          configures the environment for a new user. You can probably just change
          the font and force it into the session - probably easier than above.