'.' no longer exits search and replace

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2007
      I swear this used to work... (I'm using 2006/09/09 now.)
      Hitting a period no longer quits query-replace-mode.
      It seems to have been replaced by an 'L' for "last" command.
      (What I want is a way to quit out of it elegantly, rather than by brute
      force with C-g.)

      On the plus side, I see we now have an 'a' for "replace all remaining"
      now, which I've been wanting for a long time. (I would have bound this
      to '!'.)

      Is there a way to rebind these keys, so I can fix this myself?

      (Whenever possible, I make all software use the same bindings, for
      obvious reasons. And I try to standardize on the standard GNU Emacs
      bindings over Jasspa's, because when faced with an unfamiliar machine,
      the odds are about 10,000 to 1 that GNU will be installed, and not
      Jasspa. It's nice to just be able to get to work.)

      Thanks

      FYI here's the GNU help for this function (query-replace):

      --
      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
    • Bryan Schofield
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2007
        ! works for "replace all remaining", I think it's an undocumented feature.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
          The '.' command used to exit immediately moving the cursor back to the
          starting point (regardless of whether you made any substitutions), I
          failed to see the use of this and given it was also incompatible to GNU
          emacs I removed it in sept 2006.

          The 'l' command is equivalent to GNU Emacs '.', we do not have an
          equivalent to 'q' or RET which simply exits at the current location, I
          think this is an omission that should be fixed, 'return' seems in
          keeping with isearch.

          Unfortunately there is no reasonable way to changing these binding
          (might be posible to wrap the command around calls to translate-key but
          I think this would be too dangerous to be worth it),

          Steve