20060810 freaking out -- '4 popup-window' -- with multi-head setup

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
      I just moved to 2006/08/10 in the process of upgrading my Linux box and
      ran into the following:

      line 386 of me.emf says
      4 popup-window

      which, according to the docs, makes the window fit on the desktop, or
      something:

      > When n is 4 then both the frame position and frame size on the Desktop
      > Window is adjusted, this is the same as 3 except the frame size may
      > also be adjusted to fit on the desktop. The name argument is not
      > required.

      Well, it does awful things to mine. (NB I'm running it on SuSE 10.1,
      from a Win2k box with three monitors, using a pretty up-to-date Cygwin
      as the X server.) It freaks out. ME sits there spanning two monitors,
      from the middle one off to the side and bottom of the right-hand one,
      hanging off the right and bottom sides; it looks like it's refreshing
      the window like mad; it flickers up (otherwise not unusual) messages
      about not finding spelling dictionaries; and I have to crack the whip to
      get it back into shape (i.e., hit ^G a few times, resize it as small as
      possible and then drag the carcass back over so all of it is at least
      being displayed on my screens).

      I tried debugging me.emf by doing 'set-variable $debug 1' but that
      didn't work at all. (I found out later: 2 is the new 1, in this
      regard.) I had to clear out the file and paste it back bit by bit.
      Eventually I figured out that it was this popup-window thing causing the
      problem.

      So. I thought you'd want to know: it looks like this is a Bad Idea. I
      don't know what it's doing, but it's not happy. I commented it out, for
      now.

      I remember getting around the problem of "make the whole window appear
      on the screen" by resizing it one column and one row bigger than I
      really wanted it, and then resizing it one smaller. I think I took that
      out of my startup script years ago because it's been working okay.

      p.s. I did figure out the spelling dictionaries issue: the spell
      directory wasn't in my MEPATH.

      Cheers

      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2007
        Thomas Hundt wrote:
        > I just moved to 2006/08/10 in the process of upgrading my Linux box and
        > ran into the following:
        >
        > line 386 of me.emf says
        > 4 popup-window
        >
        > which, according to the docs, makes the window fit on the desktop, or
        > something:
        >
        >> When n is 4 then both the frame position and frame size on the Desktop
        >> Window is adjusted, this is the same as 3 except the frame size may
        >> also be adjusted to fit on the desktop. The name argument is not
        >> required.
        >
        > Well, it does awful things to mine. (NB I'm running it on SuSE 10.1,
        > from a Win2k box with three monitors, using a pretty up-to-date Cygwin
        > as the X server.) It freaks out. ME sits there spanning two monitors,
        > from the middle one off to the side and bottom of the right-hand one,
        > hanging off the right and bottom sides; it looks like it's refreshing
        > the window like mad; it flickers up (otherwise not unusual) messages
        > about not finding spelling dictionaries; and I have to crack the whip to
        > get it back into shape (i.e., hit ^G a few times, resize it as small as
        > possible and then drag the carcass back over so all of it is at least
        > being displayed on my screens).
        >
        > I tried debugging me.emf by doing 'set-variable $debug 1' but that
        > didn't work at all. (I found out later: 2 is the new 1, in this
        > regard.) I had to clear out the file and paste it back bit by bit.
        > Eventually I figured out that it was this popup-window thing causing the
        > problem.
        >
        > So. I thought you'd want to know: it looks like this is a Bad Idea. I
        > don't know what it's doing, but it's not happy. I commented it out, for
        > now.

        OK Thanks. I certainly have never run with multi-headed configuration -
        I do not have that many Graphics cards and monitors. I believe that the
        Windows multi-head works so not sure why the Linux one does not.

        > I remember getting around the problem of "make the whole window appear
        > on the screen" by resizing it one column and one row bigger than I
        > really wanted it, and then resizing it one smaller. I think I took that
        > out of my startup script years ago because it's been working okay.
        >
        > p.s. I did figure out the spelling dictionaries issue: the spell
        > directory wasn't in my MEPATH.

        You still using a MEPATH? Not used a MEPATH for years normally put the
        jasspa directory somewhere where ME automatically finds it and then dump
        the spelling directories in the spell sub-directory.

        Jon.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2007
          >> p.s. I did figure out the spelling dictionaries issue: the spell
          >> directory wasn't in my MEPATH.
          >
          > You still using a MEPATH? Not used a MEPATH for years normally put the
          > jasspa directory somewhere where ME automatically finds it and then dump
          > the spelling directories in the spell sub-directory.
          >
          > Jon.

          Hmmm. Yes, I see: /opt/jasspa or /usr/share/jasspa or /usr/local/jasspa
          are the wired-in locations.

          I guess I should be using MEINSTALLPATH to point to the top of my
          install tree, instead of setting MEPATH. It would be a little less
          typing ;-)

          BTW I use the following lame wrapper script to run the thing. It puts
          it in the background, so as not to monopolize the xterm (a la Windows),
          or runs the console version if X11 isn't available.

          #!/bin/sh
          #------------------------------------------------------------
          # me.sh Thundt rev 3 03-Aug-04
          # Wrapper around MicroEmacs; doesn't monopolize xterm
          # Copy into your ~/bin
          #------------------------------------------------------------
          # Rename 'me' to 'me32'. Put this wrapper in ~/bin/me.

          ##set -v # uncomment for debug
          ##set -x

          #-----
          # Make dirs and set paths as needed
          #-----
          if [ ! -d ${HOME}/.jasspa ]; then
          mkdir ${HOME}/.jasspa
          fi

          MEBACKUPPATH="${HOME}/Backup/Jasspa_backups/"
          if [ ! -d ${MEBACKUPPATH} ]; then
          mkdir -p ${MEBACKUPPATH}
          fi

          MEPATH=${HOME}/.jasspa:/home/thundt/App/Jasspa/company:/home/thundt/App/Jasspa/macros:/home/thundt/App/Jasspa/spelling
          export MEBACKUPPATH MEPATH

          #-----
          # Run it in X or console version, as appropriate
          #-----
          if [ "${DISPLAY}x" = "x" ]; then
          /home/thundt/bin/me32 -n $* # no DISPLAY -> run termcap version
          (in fg)
          else
          if [ "$1" = "-n" -o "$2" = "-n" -o "$3" = "-n" -o "$4" = "-n" \
          -o "$5" = "-n" -o "$5" = "-n" -o "$6" = "-n" -o "$7" = "-n" \
          -o "$8" = "-n" -o "$9" = "-n" ]; then
          /home/thundt/bin/me32 $* # user requested non-X; run in fg
          else
          /home/thundt/bin/me32 $* & # X version; run in bg
          fi
          fi

          --
          Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 26, 2007
            Thomas Hundt wrote:
            >>> p.s. I did figure out the spelling dictionaries issue: the spell
            >>> directory wasn't in my MEPATH.
            >> You still using a MEPATH? Not used a MEPATH for years normally put the
            >> jasspa directory somewhere where ME automatically finds it and then dump
            >> the spelling directories in the spell sub-directory.
            >>
            >> Jon.
            >
            > Hmmm. Yes, I see: /opt/jasspa or /usr/share/jasspa or /usr/local/jasspa
            > are the wired-in locations.
            >
            > I guess I should be using MEINSTALLPATH to point to the top of my
            > install tree, instead of setting MEPATH. It would be a little less
            > typing ;-)
            >
            > BTW I use the following lame wrapper script to run the thing. It puts
            > it in the background, so as not to monopolize the xterm (a la Windows),
            > or runs the console version if X11 isn't available.
            >
            > #!/bin/sh
            > #------------------------------------------------------------
            > # me.sh Thundt rev 3 03-Aug-04
            > # Wrapper around MicroEmacs; doesn't monopolize xterm
            > # Copy into your ~/bin
            > #------------------------------------------------------------
            > # Rename 'me' to 'me32'. Put this wrapper in ~/bin/me.
            >
            > ##set -v # uncomment for debug
            > ##set -x
            >
            > #-----
            > # Make dirs and set paths as needed
            > #-----
            > if [ ! -d ${HOME}/.jasspa ]; then
            > mkdir ${HOME}/.jasspa
            > fi

            You should not need this as when you run me for the first time then it
            will create this if it does not exist.

            > MEBACKUPPATH="${HOME}/Backup/Jasspa_backups/"
            > if [ ! -d ${MEBACKUPPATH} ]; then
            > mkdir -p ${MEBACKUPPATH}
            > fi

            You do need this, although you could add this to your me.emf (including
            the creating the directory).

            > MEPATH=${HOME}/.jasspa:/home/thundt/App/Jasspa/company:/home/thundt/App/Jasspa/macros:/home/thundt/App/Jasspa/spelling
            > export MEBACKUPPATH MEPATH

            I still don't think you need MEPATH if you do a non-system installation.

            If you move the directories "spelling", "macros" and "company" into the
            .jasspa directory then they will be found automatically without $MEPATH.
            i.e. this is the same as unpacking metree in ${HOME} and renaming jasspa
            to .jasspa

            If you do want to retain the directories in their current location then
            you could use $MEINSTALLPATH="/home/thundt/App/Jasspa" the content of
            the subdirectories will be found.

            Having said all of that $MEPATH is fastest as it does not search any
            other location.