using real TABs set for 4 spaces in latest version

  • Bob Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2007
      Is it possible to use actual TAB characters but set the TABs to be 4
      spaces?

      Thanks

      Bob Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2007
        Bob Brown wrote:
        > Is it possible to use actual TAB characters but set the TABs to be 4
        > spaces?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bob Brown

        Hi Bob,

        I think what you are asking is to set the tab width to 4 displayable
        characters.

        You can do this globally or per buffer, Note that if you enable globally
        then you might still have to adjust the buffer types individually where
        the buffer major mode is over-riding the global mode.

        I would expect that you will do this on a per buffer basis.

        You can show/hide the white spaces using
        Menu->View->Whitespaces

        Per Buffer Type
        ================

        From the file type where you want to do this then:

        M-x major-mode-setup
        or Main Menu->Tools->Major Mode Setup ..

        From the major mode then:

        Disable "TAB" buffer mode - enable literal tabs.
        Set the "Tab Width" to 4

        Once setup whenever you load a file of the specified type then these
        setting will be used.

        Globally
        =========

        M-x user-setup

        General Tab
        Disable "TAB" - always use literal tabs unless over-ridden by buffer.

        The global $tab-width does not have a dialogue so if you wanted to make
        this 4 by default then do this in your <user>.emf i.e

        set-variable $tab-width 4

        Remember that in the buffer the variable is called $buffer-tab-width
        which has local scope, its initial value is seeded from $tab-width.

        Hope that helps.