ME and Secure FTP

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2007
      The age of insecurity (pun intended) has arrived inside our corporate firewall.  As of the end of the month, all applications that pass plaintext passwords over the network will be turned off.  I do most of my editing on remote files retrieved using the built-in ftp in ME.  This new policy forces me to use some sort of secure ftp to retrieve and save files.  I don't know much about the secure world (I've lived in insecurity all my life :).

      I have cygwin installed (included ssh and ssl) if that helps.  How do I configure ME to use a secure protocal.

      Thanks,
      Rick.

    • jon@jasspa.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2007
        > The age of insecurity (pun intended) has arrived inside our corporate
        > firewall. As of the end of the month, all applications that pass
        > plaintext passwords over the network will be turned off. I do most of my
        > editing on remote files retrieved using the built-in ftp in ME. This new
        > policy forces me to use some sort of secure ftp to retrieve and save
        > files. I don't know much about the secure world (I've lived in insecurity
        > all my life :).
        >
        > I have cygwin installed (included ssh and ssl) if that helps. How do I
        > configure ME to use a secure protocal.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rick.

        Nice question!

        I was also considering this but currently do not know how to answer this
        because I have not tried it.

        What is your ME platform, UNIX, LINUX or Windows?

        Jon.
      • Rick Owen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2007
          Hi Jon,

          Sorry.  I forget we have a diverse collection of operating platforms.  Windows XP Pro is what I am running.

          Thanks,
          Rick.

          > The age of insecurity (pun intended) has arrived inside our corporate
          > firewall.  As of the end of the month, all applications that pass
          > plaintext passwords over the network will be turned off.  I do most of my
          > editing on remote files retrieved using the built-in ftp in ME.  This new
          > policy forces me to use some sort of secure ftp to retrieve and save
          > files.  I don't know much about the secure world (I've lived in insecurity
          > all my life :).
          >
          > I have cygwin installed (included ssh and ssl) if that helps.  How do I
          > configure ME to use a secure protocal.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Rick.

          Nice question!

          I was also considering this but currently do not know how to answer this
          because I have not tried it.

          What is your ME platform, UNIX, LINUX or Windows?

          modify your account settings manually.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:jasspa-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:jasspa-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • jon@jasspa.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2007
            > Hi Jon,
            >
            > Sorry. I forget we have a diverse collection of operating platforms.
            > Windows XP Pro is what I am running.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Rick.

            I still do not have an answer for you but I'm wondering if you can use
            something link Putty or Plink to manage the SSH connection and continue to
            use FTP assuming that your server provides an FTP service behind SSH.

            This requires far more investigation and is outside of my current
            knowledge base as all my SSH connections are typically remote X-terms
            which work well.

            Jon.