Re: [jasspa] center text

  • dsjkvf
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
      On 1/23/07, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:

      > Quick method would be to write a macro that changes the current
      > $buffer-fill-col to be the buffer width.

      but it does work only for the right margin, doesn't it?

      > Would be better if you left the window at its normal size (whatever normal
      > is for you typically 80 working columns) and simply placed it in the
      > middle of the screen! Obviously your other alternative is to use a Word
      > processor (MS-Word / Star(Open)Office) which I guess exhibits the actual
      > behavior that you are looking for.

      the point is that when typing i do not want to see any other windows,
      which could distract me :).

      and i surely prefer ME to any *Office* like equipment, since it just
      suits for everything: code, essays, articles, etc. (and Jon, of
      course, knows it :)).

      however, if anybody else is interested, then here's a kind of solution:
      ---
      define-macro workspace
      1 split-window-horizontally
      ;*scratch* buffer on the left is quite handy for different notes while writing
      find-buffer "*scratch*"
      next-window
      ; you should adjust this number to your screen
      40 change-window-width
      find-file
      !emacro
      ---
      i also use a modified theme with scrollbars' color match the
      background's color (which can be easily done in Scheme Editor).

      --
      dsjkvf
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
        I think the use of another window is by far the simplest and best, there are a couple of additions to this solution you might want to try:

        define-macro workspace
        delete-other-windows
        1 split-window-horizontally
        ;*scratch* buffer on the left is quite handy for different notes while writing
        find-buffer "*scratch*"
        ; lock the window to this buffer and lock its width
        set-variable $window-flags &bor $window-flags 5
        next-window
        ; you should adjust this number to your screen
        40 change-window-width
        find-file
        !emacro
        By locking the buffer to the window commands that display another buffer (like file-browser or help etc) will not use this window, and by locking the width any frame size changes will not affect the *scratch* window width, without it and frame size change will resize the width to 50%.

        Steve