center text

  • dsjkvf
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2007
      hello,

      is there any way to place the text i enter in the center of the
      window? i mean not the alignment:center, but just add some adjustable
      margin from the left side.

      the point is that i use a widescreen monitor. and sometimes, when i'd
      like to concentrate on my writings, i launch ME fullscreen. but the
      problem is that i should always look to the left side then :). and
      naturally i'd prefer to see text straight before me :).

      so, may be it's possible to define a new buffer mode (or edit
      existing). or is there any other solution (yes, i know that i can
      split window... however, i'd prefer the other way, if possible)?

      thanks in advance :).

      --
      dsjkvf
    • jon@jasspa.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2007
        > hello,
        >
        > is there any way to place the text i enter in the center of the
        > window? i mean not the alignment:center, but just add some adjustable
        > margin from the left side.
        >
        > the point is that i use a widescreen monitor. and sometimes, when i'd
        > like to concentrate on my writings, i launch ME fullscreen. but the
        > problem is that i should always look to the left side then :). and
        > naturally i'd prefer to see text straight before me :).
        >
        > so, may be it's possible to define a new buffer mode (or edit
        > existing). or is there any other solution (yes, i know that i can
        > split window... however, i'd prefer the other way, if possible)?
        >

        > thanks in advance :).

        Quick method would be to write a macro that changes the current
        $buffer-fill-col to be the buffer width. Problem comes when you resize the
        window your expectation will be that the text reflows to the new buffer
        width. Center and right justification will be the most problematic because
        they are not likely to be automatically detected to be center or right
        justified with the new margin widths.

        Would be better if you left the window at its normal size (whatever normal
        is for you typically 80 working columns) and simply placed it in the
        middle of the screen! Obviously your other alternative is to use a Word
        processor (MS-Word / Star(Open)Office) which I guess exhibits the actual
        behavior that you are looking for.

        Jon.

        > --
        > dsjkvf

      • dsjkvf
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
          On 1/23/07, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:

          > Quick method would be to write a macro that changes the current
          > $buffer-fill-col to be the buffer width.

          but it does work only for the right margin, doesn't it?

          > Would be better if you left the window at its normal size (whatever normal
          > is for you typically 80 working columns) and simply placed it in the
          > middle of the screen! Obviously your other alternative is to use a Word
          > processor (MS-Word / Star(Open)Office) which I guess exhibits the actual
          > behavior that you are looking for.

          the point is that when typing i do not want to see any other windows,
          which could distract me :).

          and i surely prefer ME to any *Office* like equipment, since it just
          suits for everything: code, essays, articles, etc. (and Jon, of
          course, knows it :)).

          however, if anybody else is interested, then here's a kind of solution:
          ---
          define-macro workspace
          1 split-window-horizontally
          ;*scratch* buffer on the left is quite handy for different notes while writing
          find-buffer "*scratch*"
          next-window
          ; you should adjust this number to your screen
          40 change-window-width
          find-file
          !emacro
          ---
          i also use a modified theme with scrollbars' color match the
          background's color (which can be easily done in Scheme Editor).

          --
          dsjkvf
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
            I think the use of another window is by far the simplest and best, there are a couple of additions to this solution you might want to try:

            define-macro workspace
            delete-other-windows
            1 split-window-horizontally
            ;*scratch* buffer on the left is quite handy for different notes while writing
            find-buffer "*scratch*"
            ; lock the window to this buffer and lock its width
            set-variable $window-flags &bor $window-flags 5
            next-window
            ; you should adjust this number to your screen
            40 change-window-width
            find-file
            !emacro
            By locking the buffer to the window commands that display another buffer (like file-browser or help etc) will not use this window, and by locking the width any frame size changes will not affect the *scratch* window width, without it and frame size change will resize the width to 50%.

            Steve