pseudo-wrap

  • dsjkvf
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2007
      hello,

      is it possible to use something, that may be called pseudo-wrap: when
      text is wrapped while edited, but when saved it remains unwrapped, one
      paragraph -- one line.

      yes, i know i may run macro like the following:
      define-macro unwrap
      beginning-of-buffer
      65536 paragraph-to-line

      ENAME$
      !emacro
      before exiting, but may be there is some more user-friendly hints? :)

      thanks in advance.

      --
      dsjkvf
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2007
        There is a command called 'browse' which has a wrap mode bound to 'w', this is the closest ME comes to this type of feature,

        Steve

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2007
          On 1/15/07, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

          > There is a command called 'browse' which has a wrap mode bound to 'w', this is
          > the closest ME comes to this type of feature,

          but it is only for viewing, as i see..

          the point is that i'd like to edit some text files in ME (since it's
          the best editor, you know :)), but then i should forward those files
          to printing house, and therefore files should not have any hard line
          break (only those to separate paragraphs).

          as i've mentioned earlier, i've tried to add a little macro:

          define-macro format-text
          beginning-of-buffer
          65536 paragraph-to-line
          !emacro

          but somehow it works strange for me -- when applying it sometimes
          "eat" spaces between words at the beginning of the lines -- the
          possibility of "eating" seems to be bigger if words are short or the
          language is non-english (it can be seen when applying several times).

          so, i would be really grateful for any advice or hint :)

          thank you.

          --
          dsjkvf
        • jon@jasspa.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2007
            > On 1/15/07, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:
            >
            >> There is a command called 'browse' which has a wrap mode bound to 'w',
            >> this is
            >> the closest ME comes to this type of feature,
            >
            > but it is only for viewing, as i see..
            >
            > the point is that i'd like to edit some text files in ME (since it's
            > the best editor, you know :)), but then i should forward those files
            > to printing house, and therefore files should not have any hard line
            > break (only those to separate paragraphs).
            >
            > as i've mentioned earlier, i've tried to add a little macro:
            >
            > define-macro format-text
            > beginning-of-buffer
            > 65536 paragraph-to-line
            > !emacro
            >
            > but somehow it works strange for me -- when applying it sometimes
            > "eat" spaces between words at the beginning of the lines -- the
            > possibility of "eating" seems to be bigger if words are short or the
            > language is non-english (it can be seen when applying several times).
            >
            > so, i would be really grateful for any advice or hint :)
            >
            > thank you.

            Yes I've noticed this as well I think there is a bug in the paragraph wrap
            somewhere in 06/09/09. You need this to work to do what you want to do. We
            should look at patching this.

            Jon.

            >>> is it possible to use something, that may be called pseudo-wrap:
            >>> when
            >>> text is wrapped while edited, but when saved it remains unwrapped,
            >>> one
            >>> paragraph -- one line.
            >

            > --
            > dsjkvf

          • Alex Worden
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2007
              Hi,

              Did this ever get fixed? If so, please can someone explain how to set
              this up. Please assume I know nothing....

              I'd really like to be able to inspect files and have the content
              wrapped for display, but not modified in the content. It's very
              difficult to look at log files otherwise and so I usually resort to
              using 'less'. It would be awesome to be able to use ME for this.

              Thanks,

              Alex

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 20, 2007
                Alex,

                Long time no talk to, hope things are well.

                W.R.T. you question there is no built in support for editing with wrapped lines however the 'browse' command (typically bound to f3) does support a 'wrap' mode, so in your log file hit 'f3' then 'w', or from a directory listing use the v to view a file then w to wrap it.

                Not the best but a start.

                Steve