[jasspa] Using the Time Stamping on files.

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17 12:13 PM
      fourje wrote:

      > Jon wrote:
      > >
      > > fourje wrote:
      > <SNIP>
      > > In answer to your question here is a document (hopefully
      > > the mail will not distort it too much).
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Jon.
      > >
      > > -- Snip -- Snip -- Snip -- Snip -- Snip -- Snip-- Snip -- Snip
      > > > -!- document; pseudo-code -!-
      > > > Author: Jon Green
      > > > Created: Wed Feb 2 20:23:35 2000
      > > > Modified: <20000202.2258>
      > >
      > Jon,
      > This is real helpful as I said a week or two ago. Just 2 questions
      > though.
      > 1) How did you get the "Modified" date to show as <20000202.2258>
      > Or did you just enter it.

      This is "time(2m)" mode. In the hk....emf files you will see
      that we set:-

      1 buffer-mode "time"

      This enables time stamping. Time stamping will look for a
      string defined by the variable $timestamp. By default this
      is set to <%Y%M%D.%h%m>. When you write the file it searches
      for strings that match

      |<-----------%Y---------><---%M---><---%D---> <---%H---><--%M---->
      <\([0-9][0-9]\)?[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9].[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]>

      i.e.

      <000000.0000>
      6 4
      or
      <00000000.0000>
      8 4

      If you create a new file and put one of the above string
      sequences in the file then it automatically gets updated
      when it gets written.

      If you want to change this then refer to hknroff.emf which
      uses a different $timestamp format and manipulates
      the time stamp string in the buffer hooks (if my memory
      serves me correctly).

      > 2) When I first went into the document, I inadvertently made a change
      > on one of the text lines. I noticed that the date and Time both
      > changed??? I also noticed that the time was showing US time not UK time
      > which is what I had set it to. Now, I connect to a LAN in the US
      > regularly, and the system time changing is a frequent occurrence (don't
      > now why), so I changed the system time back to the GMT value. Then the
      > modified time wouldn't change any more??
      > Now, these questions may be as a direct result of the hour and the
      > workload I'm under, don't hesitate to let me now.

      This should always work. In the last full release there was a
      Y2K problem with the date such that you got a colon in the
      string i.e.

      <:000000.0000>

      If this has occured then simply correct the string by removing
      the colon and replace with a digit character make sure that it
      is 8.4 or 6.4 format. Then use the beta release or apply the
      patches posted for Y2K so that it does not happen again !!

      As for US/UK time. The default that we use is YYMMDD.HHMM we use
      this because it is acceptable to everybody. It is niether
      British nor US. I think this is also the format that RCS uses.
      I suggest that you use this.

      Bug Fix
      =======

      By the way - did that patch that I did for you fix the
      'always selected' problem at start up ??

      > Thanks in advance
      > Dave E.
      > <SNIP>
    • fourje
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18 6:16 AM
        Thanks Jon,

        I'll look for the y2k fix and apply it. I have a habit of not keeping
        up with bug fixes<grin>.
        Ooops, no can do - do not have "C" compiler on my wintel machine - ah
        well, I'll wait until the next stable release.

        Jon wrote:

        <SNIP>

        > This is "time(2m)" mode. In the hk....emf files you will see
        > that we set:-
        >
        > 1 buffer-mode "time"
        <SNIP>
        > Bug Fix
        > =======
        >
        > By the way - did that patch that I did for you fix the
        > 'always selected' problem at start up ??

        <SNIP>
        Yes, Jon, it solved the problem of the errant mouse. However, I could
        not access any files from F10. Whenever I tabbed into the file list
        window and hit enter, then the file list window become the only window
        displayed. I seem to remember several postings on the list about
        problems with F10. I have reverted back to the last stable release and
        I'll apply the Y2K patches in the meantime.
        Thanks for all of your help. I really do have to get to know this
        editor more - it really is powerful. Looking forward to the next stable
        release (with rectangles etc).
        P.S. What is this "Postie" that I've seen alluded to in some messages -
        I'm assuming it has to do with Mail.
        Dave E.