Re: [jasspa] short questions

  • dsjkvf
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
      On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

      > I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
      > "new%d" to "new%d.doc".

      Steven, thank you for your help.

      what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
      general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
      .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
      correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

      and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
      extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
      files?

      > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this should
      > be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial because ME
      > will not know whether it is currently at the openning or closing '"' -
      > see the docs for more info.

      yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy. however,
      thank you for your explanation.

      --
      dsjkvf
    • jon@jasspa.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
        > On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
        >> "new%d" to "new%d.doc".
        >
        > Steven, thank you for your help.
        >
        > what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
        > general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
        > .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
        > correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

        This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
        macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
        more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
        user directory and then modify it. Do not change the system macros because
        if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

        > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
        > extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
        > files?

        Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
        to the end of your <user>.emf

        add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

        Jon.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006

          I think in this case you are creating a new macro so I would copy it
          into your user my???.emf and call it something else (like
          create-new-doc), that way you avoid any future upgrade problems.

          Steve

          > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files
          > wiith extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work
          > with ".txt"
          > files?
          >
          > > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this
          > > should be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial
          > > because ME will not know whether it is currently at the
          > openning or
          > > closing '"' - see the docs for more info.
          >
          > yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy.
          > however, thank you for your explanation.
          >

          > --
          > dsjkvf

        • dsjkvf
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
            On 11/6/06, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:

            > This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
            > macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
            > more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
            > user directory and then modify it.

            i see.

            > Do not change the system macros because
            > if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

            yes, i've faced something like that just recently when upgrading to
            '06 release :) (and as a result, i was using diff a lot to find all my
            changes :)).

            > Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
            > to the end of your <user>.emf
            >
            > add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

            thank you, Jon!

            --