Re: [jasspa] short questions

  • dsjkvf
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6 1:45 AM
      On 11/6/06, Christof Boeckler <cb@...> wrote:

      > From next-buffer(2):
      > "find-buffer switches to buffer "buffer-name" in the current window. If
      > the buffer does not exist and a zero argument n is supplied then the
      > command fails. If the buffer does not exist but no argument or a positive
      > argument n is specified then a new buffer is created, at which point the
      > file-hook is evaluated."

      oops, sorry, haven't thought taht it could be so obvious :). thank
      you, Christof, for pointing me to that.

      > I would rather try to set up a <mode>.etf file in your ME search path. It
      > will be inserted automatically if you create a new file of the chosen mode.

      yes, that's quite nice, thank you once again :).

      --
      dsjkvf
    • dsjkvf
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6 1:55 AM
        On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

        > I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
        > "new%d" to "new%d.doc".

        Steven, thank you for your help.

        what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
        general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
        .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
        correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

        and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
        extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
        files?

        > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this should
        > be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial because ME
        > will not know whether it is currently at the openning or closing '"' -
        > see the docs for more info.

        yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy. however,
        thank you for your explanation.

        --
        dsjkvf
      • jon@jasspa.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6 2:36 AM
          > On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
          >> "new%d" to "new%d.doc".
          >
          > Steven, thank you for your help.
          >
          > what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
          > general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
          > .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
          > correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

          This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
          macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
          more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
          user directory and then modify it. Do not change the system macros because
          if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

          > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
          > extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
          > files?

          Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
          to the end of your <user>.emf

          add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

          Jon.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6 4:24 AM

            I think in this case you are creating a new macro so I would copy it
            into your user my???.emf and call it something else (like
            create-new-doc), that way you avoid any future upgrade problems.

            Steve

            > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files
            > wiith extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work
            > with ".txt"
            > files?
            >
            > > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this
            > > should be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial
            > > because ME will not know whether it is currently at the
            > openning or
            > > closing '"' - see the docs for more info.
            >
            > yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy.
            > however, thank you for your explanation.
            >

            > --
            > dsjkvf

          • dsjkvf
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 6 4:31 AM
              On 11/6/06, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:

              > This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
              > macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
              > more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
              > user directory and then modify it.

              i see.

              > Do not change the system macros because
              > if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

              yes, i've faced something like that just recently when upgrading to
              '06 release :) (and as a result, i was using diff a lot to find all my
              changes :)).

              > Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
              > to the end of your <user>.emf
              >
              > add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

              thank you, Jon!

              --