RE: [jasspa] short questions

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006

      I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
      "new%d" to "new%d.doc".

      > > > 2. when i insert brackets, cursor jumps for a second at
      > the first
      > > > bracket, and then places after the second bracket. is
      > there any way
      > > to > disable this behaviour?
      > >
      > > See user-setup(3), Platform: Fence Display.
      >
      > yes, thank you!
      >
      > > > 2.1. is it possible to disable it, but still to be able
      > to select
      > > text > in brackets () or in quotes "" with only a few keypresses?
      > > How do you do it now with little effort?
      >
      > in fact, i haven't tried -- so, assuming from you question, i
      > won't be able :).
      > i've just thought that since ME can detect opening and
      > closing brackets, then it can be possible to write a macro,
      > which can go from an opening bracket to a closing one. and
      > then you just need to set a mark and go to another bracket.
      >
      > what do you think?

      See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this should
      be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial because ME
      will not know whether it is currently at the openning or closing '"' -
      see the docs for more info.

      Steve

      > > > 3. how to start ME in Windows in maximized mode? setting
      > shortcut
      > > > properties to "Maximized window" does not work here :( Start ME,
      > > maximise the window, click right on the Mode Line and select Store
      > > Frame Size. That's it. ME will remember its window size on next
      > > startup.
      >
      > yes, it works :). thank you once again.
      >

      > --
      > dsjkvf

    • Christof Boeckler
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
        dsjkvf schrieb:
        > On 11/6/06, dsjkvf <dsjkvf@...> wrote:
        >> i want to create a new file and apply certain template to it (in my
        >> particular case i want the file's major mode be set to doc). of
        >> course, i want to do it with one keypress :) (with macro, i think) --
        >> in fact, it should be something like that: ask for a name for a new
        >> buffer, create buffer with this name and then set buffer's major mode
        >> to doc.
        >>
        >> how new buffers are created in ME at all? i don't seem to find any
        >> create-buffer command :).

        From next-buffer(2):

        "find-buffer switches to buffer "buffer-name" in the current window. If
        the buffer does not exist and a zero argument n is supplied then the
        command fails. If the buffer does not exist but no argument or a positive
        argument n is specified then a new buffer is created, at which point the
        file-hook is evaluated."

        > in fact, i can even operate this way:
        >
        > define-macro new-doc-file
        > find-buffer "*scratch*"
        > insert-string "> -!- document -!-"
        > write-buffer
        > !emacro
        >
        > but then the highlighting will not work -- the file needs either to be
        > reopen (and then the header will set it's major mode to doc) or i
        > should set his mode manually via Tools -> Buffer setup -> Major mode.
        >
        > what do you think, is there any way to automate this procedure?

        I would rather try to set up a <mode>.etf file in your ME search path. It
        will be inserted automatically if you create a new file of the chosen mode.

        E.g. I have a latex.etf in my ~/.jasspa file on Linux and if I press C-x
        C-f newfile.tex then I get a new buffer with content of latex.etf in it.

        Gruß / Regards
        Christof

        --
        Da sie sich für weise hielten, sind sie zu Narren geworden. Rö 1,22
      • dsjkvf
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
          On 11/6/06, Christof Boeckler <cb@...> wrote:

          > From next-buffer(2):
          > "find-buffer switches to buffer "buffer-name" in the current window. If
          > the buffer does not exist and a zero argument n is supplied then the
          > command fails. If the buffer does not exist but no argument or a positive
          > argument n is specified then a new buffer is created, at which point the
          > file-hook is evaluated."

          oops, sorry, haven't thought taht it could be so obvious :). thank
          you, Christof, for pointing me to that.

          > I would rather try to set up a <mode>.etf file in your ME search path. It
          > will be inserted automatically if you create a new file of the chosen mode.

          yes, that's quite nice, thank you once again :).

          --
          dsjkvf
        • dsjkvf
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
            On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

            > I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
            > "new%d" to "new%d.doc".

            Steven, thank you for your help.

            what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
            general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
            .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
            correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

            and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
            extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
            files?

            > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this should
            > be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial because ME
            > will not know whether it is currently at the openning or closing '"' -
            > see the docs for more info.

            yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy. however,
            thank you for your explanation.

            --
            dsjkvf
          • jon@jasspa.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
              > On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
              >> "new%d" to "new%d.doc".
              >
              > Steven, thank you for your help.
              >
              > what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
              > general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
              > .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
              > correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

              This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
              macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
              more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
              user directory and then modify it. Do not change the system macros because
              if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

              > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
              > extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
              > files?

              Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
              to the end of your <user>.emf

              add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

              Jon.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006

                I think in this case you are creating a new macro so I would copy it
                into your user my???.emf and call it something else (like
                create-new-doc), that way you avoid any future upgrade problems.

                Steve

                > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files
                > wiith extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work
                > with ".txt"
                > files?
                >
                > > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this
                > > should be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial
                > > because ME will not know whether it is currently at the
                > openning or
                > > closing '"' - see the docs for more info.
                >
                > yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy.
                > however, thank you for your explanation.
                >

                > --
                > dsjkvf

              • dsjkvf
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
                  On 11/6/06, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:

                  > This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
                  > macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
                  > more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
                  > user directory and then modify it.

                  i see.

                  > Do not change the system macros because
                  > if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

                  yes, i've faced something like that just recently when upgrading to
                  '06 release :) (and as a result, i was using diff a lot to find all my
                  changes :)).

                  > Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
                  > to the end of your <user>.emf
                  >
                  > add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

                  thank you, Jon!

                  --