Re: [jasspa] short questions

  • Christof Boeckler
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 5, 2006
      dsjkvf schrieb:
      > hello,

      Hi dsjkvf!

      > could you please help me once again :)

      I will try for now.

      > 1. how to create a new file using certain template (e.g. > -!-
      > document -!-)? i've found only an osd-new-buffer command, but how to
      > tell it what i need a DOCUMENT buffer? of course, i can switch it
      > later manually from menu via buffer setup, but how to automate the
      > process?

      I didn't understand you, probably since I don't use OSD related features.
      Maybe someone else can help.

      > 2. when i insert brackets, cursor jumps for a second at the first
      > bracket, and then places after the second bracket. is there any way to
      > disable this behaviour?

      See user-setup(3), Platform: Fence Display.

      > 2.1. is it possible to disable it, but still to be able to select text
      > in brackets () or in quotes "" with only a few keypresses?

      How do you do it now with little effort?

      > 3. how to start ME in Windows in maximized mode? setting shortcut
      > properties to "Maximized window" does not work here :(

      Start ME, maximise the window, click right on the Mode Line and select
      Store Frame Size. That's it. ME will remember its window size on next
      startup.

      > thank you :).

      Keep asking!

      Gruß / Regards
      Christof

      --
      Da sie sich für weise hielten, sind sie zu Narren geworden. Rö 1,22
    • dsjkvf
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
        On 11/6/06, Christof Boeckler <cb@...> wrote:
        > > 1. how to create a new file using certain template (e.g. > -!-
        > > document -!-)? i've found only an osd-new-buffer command, but how to
        > > tell it what i need a DOCUMENT buffer? of course, i can switch it
        > > later manually from menu via buffer setup, but how to automate the
        > > process?
        > I didn't understand you, probably since I don't use OSD related features.
        > Maybe someone else can help.

        i want to create a new file and apply certain template to it (in my
        particular case i want the file's major mode be set to doc). of
        course, i want to do it with one keypress :) (with macro, i think) --
        in fact, it should be something like that: ask for a name for a new
        buffer, create buffer with this name and then set buffer's major mode
        to doc.

        how new buffers are created in ME at all? i don't seem to find any
        create-buffer command :).

        of course, i can selecte *scratch*, C-x C-w it with certain name and
        then set his major mode to doc. but it sure does require some more
        efforts :).

        > > 2. when i insert brackets, cursor jumps for a second at the first
        > > bracket, and then places after the second bracket. is there any way to
        > > disable this behaviour?
        >
        > See user-setup(3), Platform: Fence Display.

        yes, thank you!

        > > 2.1. is it possible to disable it, but still to be able to select text
        > > in brackets () or in quotes "" with only a few keypresses?
        > How do you do it now with little effort?

        in fact, i haven't tried -- so, assuming from you question, i won't be able :).
        i've just thought that since ME can detect opening and closing
        brackets, then it can be possible to write a macro, which can go from
        an opening bracket to a closing one. and then you just need to set a
        mark and go to another bracket.

        what do you think?

        > > 3. how to start ME in Windows in maximized mode? setting shortcut
        > > properties to "Maximized window" does not work here :(
        > Start ME, maximise the window, click right on the Mode Line and select
        > Store Frame Size. That's it. ME will remember its window size on next
        > startup.

        yes, it works :). thank you once again.

        --
        dsjkvf
      • dsjkvf
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
          On 11/6/06, dsjkvf <dsjkvf@...> wrote:
          > i want to create a new file and apply certain template to it (in my
          > particular case i want the file's major mode be set to doc). of
          > course, i want to do it with one keypress :) (with macro, i think) --
          > in fact, it should be something like that: ask for a name for a new
          > buffer, create buffer with this name and then set buffer's major mode
          > to doc.
          >
          > how new buffers are created in ME at all? i don't seem to find any
          > create-buffer command :).

          in fact, i can even operate this way:

          define-macro new-doc-file
          find-buffer "*scratch*"
          insert-string "> -!- document -!-"
          write-buffer
          !emacro

          but then the highlighting will not work -- the file needs either to be
          reopen (and then the header will set it's major mode to doc) or i
          should set his mode manually via Tools -> Buffer setup -> Major mode.

          what do you think, is there any way to automate this procedure?

          --
          dsjkvf
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006

            I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
            "new%d" to "new%d.doc".

            > > > 2. when i insert brackets, cursor jumps for a second at
            > the first
            > > > bracket, and then places after the second bracket. is
            > there any way
            > > to > disable this behaviour?
            > >
            > > See user-setup(3), Platform: Fence Display.
            >
            > yes, thank you!
            >
            > > > 2.1. is it possible to disable it, but still to be able
            > to select
            > > text > in brackets () or in quotes "" with only a few keypresses?
            > > How do you do it now with little effort?
            >
            > in fact, i haven't tried -- so, assuming from you question, i
            > won't be able :).
            > i've just thought that since ME can detect opening and
            > closing brackets, then it can be possible to write a macro,
            > which can go from an opening bracket to a closing one. and
            > then you just need to set a mark and go to another bracket.
            >
            > what do you think?

            See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this should
            be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial because ME
            will not know whether it is currently at the openning or closing '"' -
            see the docs for more info.

            Steve

            > > > 3. how to start ME in Windows in maximized mode? setting
            > shortcut
            > > > properties to "Maximized window" does not work here :( Start ME,
            > > maximise the window, click right on the Mode Line and select Store
            > > Frame Size. That's it. ME will remember its window size on next
            > > startup.
            >
            > yes, it works :). thank you once again.
            >

            > --
            > dsjkvf

          • Christof Boeckler
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
              dsjkvf schrieb:
              > On 11/6/06, dsjkvf <dsjkvf@...> wrote:
              >> i want to create a new file and apply certain template to it (in my
              >> particular case i want the file's major mode be set to doc). of
              >> course, i want to do it with one keypress :) (with macro, i think) --
              >> in fact, it should be something like that: ask for a name for a new
              >> buffer, create buffer with this name and then set buffer's major mode
              >> to doc.
              >>
              >> how new buffers are created in ME at all? i don't seem to find any
              >> create-buffer command :).

              From next-buffer(2):

              "find-buffer switches to buffer "buffer-name" in the current window. If
              the buffer does not exist and a zero argument n is supplied then the
              command fails. If the buffer does not exist but no argument or a positive
              argument n is specified then a new buffer is created, at which point the
              file-hook is evaluated."

              > in fact, i can even operate this way:
              >
              > define-macro new-doc-file
              > find-buffer "*scratch*"
              > insert-string "> -!- document -!-"
              > write-buffer
              > !emacro
              >
              > but then the highlighting will not work -- the file needs either to be
              > reopen (and then the header will set it's major mode to doc) or i
              > should set his mode manually via Tools -> Buffer setup -> Major mode.
              >
              > what do you think, is there any way to automate this procedure?

              I would rather try to set up a <mode>.etf file in your ME search path. It
              will be inserted automatically if you create a new file of the chosen mode.

              E.g. I have a latex.etf in my ~/.jasspa file on Linux and if I press C-x
              C-f newfile.tex then I get a new buffer with content of latex.etf in it.

              Gruß / Regards
              Christof

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
                On 11/6/06, Christof Boeckler <cb@...> wrote:

                > From next-buffer(2):
                > "find-buffer switches to buffer "buffer-name" in the current window. If
                > the buffer does not exist and a zero argument n is supplied then the
                > command fails. If the buffer does not exist but no argument or a positive
                > argument n is specified then a new buffer is created, at which point the
                > file-hook is evaluated."

                oops, sorry, haven't thought taht it could be so obvious :). thank
                you, Christof, for pointing me to that.

                > I would rather try to set up a <mode>.etf file in your ME search path. It
                > will be inserted automatically if you create a new file of the chosen mode.

                yes, that's quite nice, thank you once again :).

                --
                dsjkvf
              • dsjkvf
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
                  On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

                  > I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
                  > "new%d" to "new%d.doc".

                  Steven, thank you for your help.

                  what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
                  general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
                  .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
                  correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

                  and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
                  extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
                  files?

                  > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this should
                  > be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial because ME
                  > will not know whether it is currently at the openning or closing '"' -
                  > see the docs for more info.

                  yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy. however,
                  thank you for your explanation.

                  --
                  dsjkvf
                • jon@jasspa.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
                    > On 11/6/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I suggest you take the osd-new-buffer macro from osd.emf and change the
                    >> "new%d" to "new%d.doc".
                    >
                    > Steven, thank you for your help.
                    >
                    > what would be the best way to override preinstalled macroses in
                    > general? e.g., in this case should i copy osd-new-buffer to my
                    > .emf-file and correct it to my needs there? or should i copy (and
                    > correct then) osd.emf to myosd.emf in MEUSERPATH? or any other way?

                    This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
                    macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
                    more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
                    user directory and then modify it. Do not change the system macros because
                    if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

                    > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files wiith
                    > extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work with ".txt"
                    > files?

                    Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
                    to the end of your <user>.emf

                    add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

                    Jon.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006

                      I think in this case you are creating a new macro so I would copy it
                      into your user my???.emf and call it something else (like
                      create-new-doc), that way you avoid any future upgrade problems.

                      Steve

                      > and another question: for now doc-mode "works" only for files
                      > wiith extension ".doc". is it possible to make it also work
                      > with ".txt"
                      > files?
                      >
                      > > See the goto-matching-fence command, writing a macro around this
                      > > should be trivial. Note that matching a '"' fence is non-trivial
                      > > because ME will not know whether it is currently at the
                      > openning or
                      > > closing '"' - see the docs for more info.
                      >
                      > yes, i thought so -- that with "" it will not be so easy.
                      > however, thank you for your explanation.
                      >

                      > --
                      > dsjkvf

                    • dsjkvf
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
                        On 11/6/06, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:

                        > This depends. If you can simply over-ride some settings or re-define a
                        > macro then the myXXXX.emf should be used to do this. If the changes are
                        > more widespread then it is better to copy the whole macro file to your
                        > user directory and then modify it.

                        i see.

                        > Do not change the system macros because
                        > if you mess up then you cannot fall back on the originals.

                        yes, i've faced something like that just recently when upgrading to
                        '06 release :) (and as a result, i was using diff a lot to find all my
                        changes :)).

                        > Put "> -!- document -!-" in the top of the document or add the following
                        > to the end of your <user>.emf
                        >
                        > add-file-hook ".txt .doc" fhook-doc

                        thank you, Jon!

                        --