Suggestion: A way to get mouse behavior like right-click in xterm

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      Here's a feature suggestion.

      I often edit text files where some of the lines have looooong lines,
      that scroll way off the right side of the frame. Naturally, I can hit
      End on such a line, and ME scrolls the document over, and all is
      glorious. Until I try to select something.

      The problem comes when I try to select a few words near end of such a
      line. My coordination isn't good enough, and I can't seem to move the
      mouse exactly horizontally, and what invariably happens is that the
      cursor slips up or down to the previous or next line, at which point ME
      slams (scrolls) the whole thing back to the left, and I basically have
      to start over.

      What I would LIKE is to be able to click at the end of the line (which
      sets the mark) and then, say, Shift-click to set the point and select
      the region. Kind of like in an xterm, where one can click somewhere,
      then right-click at the other end of the desired selection area.
      Everything between the two clicks gets selected, and copied.

      I checked in User-Setup to see what was available to bind to the mouse
      buttons, but didn't see anything that looked relevant. (This is where
      I'd expect to see such a thing.) No, I wouldn't actually want to bind
      it to Right-Click, since that's already being used for a context menu.
      I was thinking Shift-Click or something (I don't think those are used
      for anything yet).

      Comments? Does this perhaps already exist?

      (Yes, I know, the workaround is to use the keyboard, which is okay. But
      I think the mouse would be quicker, like to select ten or fifteen words.
      Mice are really good and precise at clicking, but not so much at
      dragging.)

      Thanks