Re: [jasspa] java indent and highligting

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
      Thomas Hundt wrote:
      > Hold it. This release is unusable.
      >
      > Basic functionality has been broken:
      >
      > private static final Logger LOG =
      > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
      >
      > now comes out as
      >
      > private static final Logger LOG =
      > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
      >
      > and if-else statements come out as
      >
      > if (something)
      > do_something();
      > else
      > do_something_else();
      >
      > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
      > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
      > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
      > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
      > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
      > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
      > doing this, yes?)
      >
      > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
      > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
      >
      > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > -Th

      Hi Thomas,

      Thanks for the info and knee jerk reaction, just what I was looking for.

      M-x major-mode-setup

      will allow you to turn on 'C' indentation again this should restore what
      you had before. I'll make C mode the default and then leave the other
      method in for the 'Java pure' people.

      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
        Thomas Hundt wrote:
        > Hold it. This release is unusable.
        >
        > Basic functionality has been broken:
        >
        > private static final Logger LOG =
        > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
        >
        > now comes out as
        >
        > private static final Logger LOG =
        > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
        >
        > and if-else statements come out as
        >
        > if (something)
        > do_something();
        > else
        > do_something_else();
        >
        > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
        > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
        > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
        > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
        > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
        > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
        > doing this, yes?)
        >
        > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
        > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
        >
        > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > -Th

        OK, here is the next one!

        This time the default mode of operation is the built in indentation with
        the bracket alignment disabled.

        Note that your history will likely be retained so you will have to
        reconfigure the major mode to return to some default using

        M-x major-mode-setup

        The defaults are:

        Brace Hilighting:OFF
        Enable Bracket Alignment:OFF (Enables old brace alignment)
        Alternative Indent Mode:OFF (Pure Java mode)

        I understand that neither method is ideal. With the 'C' type indent then
        there are issues with "@" statements. These are not present in the
        Alternative indent - but this then needs to be fully bracketed.

      • Bryan Schofield
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
          unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
          situtations needed.

          For example...

          if (true)
          continuedStatement();

          if (true) {
          indentedStatement();
          }

          if (true)
          {
          indentedStatement();
          }

          I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
          unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
          the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.

          indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t

          handles:

        • jon@jasspa.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
            > unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
            > situtations needed.
            >
            > For example...
            >
            > if (true)
            > continuedStatement();
            >
            > if (true) {
            > indentedStatement();
            > }
            >
            > if (true)
            > {
            > indentedStatement();
            > }
            >
            > I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
            > unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
            > the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.
            >

            > indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t
            >
            > handles:
            >
            > private static final Logger LOG =
            > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

            Hi Bryan,

            We are aware of the short comings of the indentation. We have yet to come
            up with a better way of describing the indentation in terms of its
            grammer. At the moment we seem to do reasonably well with very little
            knowledge of the language in the template. All of the items that you have
            raised above require a little more information about the syntax in order
            to make them work properly. This is actually why C is burnt in because it
            is easier to handle it like this than coming up with all of the correct
            rules that are programmable.

            We have considered how we might express this, but so far have not come up
            with a sufficiently good way of minimally and generically describing the
            syntax of the target language for indentation.

            If anybody has any thoughts on how we can do this I would like to hear
            them because it is not trivial.

            Anybody looking for a Comp. Sci. project at University????

          • Bryan Schofield
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
              I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
              a little something to fix handling of Strings

              indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
              indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                is required.

                indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if

                define-macro java-check-if
                ; @1 = line number
                ; ...
                set-variable $result true
                !emacro
              • jon@jasspa.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                  > I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                  > a little something to fix handling of Strings
                  >
                  > indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                  > indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                  OK Thanks,

                  As it turns out it looks like we need a patch to jst.etf so I can slip
                  this one in as well as they are both macro problems. Fortunately there are
                  no binary problems at the moment, but does mean that some of the packages
                  have to be re-built.

                  This is why one release per year is more than enough for us! As usual it
                  does look like there are some more sweeping changes in the pipeline that
                  will come fairly soon after the release on the development side however we
                  cannot afford to delay this release any longer because of the amount of
                  time it takes us to prove it is stable.

                  As an aside: In building the 2006 release I was forced back to 20050505 on
                  some platforms where I had not installed 2006 yet and was surprised by
                  some of the features that were missing (e.g. being able to delete
                  directories in the file browser, infact all of the file browser controls).
                  Obviously most users will not be aware of this but we have been using
                  these internally for the last year and miss them when they are not there -
                  hence we really cannot delay this release any more.

                • jon@jasspa.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                    > Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                    > argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                    > whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                    > be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                    > is required.
                    >
                    > indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if
                    >
                    > define-macro java-check-if
                    > ; @1 = line number
                    > ; ...
                    > set-variable $result true
                    > !emacro

                    I think you are right.

                    I did try and prototype this type of schema about a year ago and got into
                    a real mess because of problems with the macro context (i.e. you are in a
                    macro that then calls back into native and then want to come out and run a
                    macro again) - anyway I ran out of time doing some other stuff. I do
                    believe that this is the way to go but have not found enough time to
                    follow it through to a conclusion and get it working.

                    The only problem with this type of scheme is if you mess up in your macro
                    the editor will die a horrible death - error recovery is likely to be
                    difficult.