Re: [jasspa] java indent and highligting

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
      Bryan Schofield wrote:
      > I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
      > keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
      > Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace

      Thanks Bryan,

      I have re-worked hkjava.emf with all of the suggestions received to
      date. If you install this then delete the myjava.emf file (or rename to
      myjava-1.emf so that it is not picked up) and then execute the file (or
      restart the editor).

      This includes the token highlighting as suggested and the indent as
      suggested. The language template includes the new indent method and the
      existing 'C' method. The indent mode may be changed with
      esc-x major-mode-setup.

      I am proposing that this gets shipped with the next release. Is this OK
      with everybody? Does this solve the Java problems that people are
      experiencing?

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
        Hold it. This release is unusable.

        Basic functionality has been broken:

        private static final Logger LOG =
        Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

        now comes out as

        private static final Logger LOG =
        Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

        and if-else statements come out as

        if (something)
        do_something();
        else
        do_something_else();

        (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
        idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
        without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
        Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
        necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
        find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
        doing this, yes?)

        I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
        "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.

        Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.

        Regards,

        -Th

        Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
          Thomas Hundt wrote:
          > Hold it. This release is unusable.
          >
          > Basic functionality has been broken:
          >
          > private static final Logger LOG =
          > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
          >
          > now comes out as
          >
          > private static final Logger LOG =
          > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
          >
          > and if-else statements come out as
          >
          > if (something)
          > do_something();
          > else
          > do_something_else();
          >
          > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
          > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
          > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
          > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
          > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
          > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
          > doing this, yes?)
          >
          > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
          > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
          >
          > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > -Th

          Hi Thomas,

          Thanks for the info and knee jerk reaction, just what I was looking for.

          M-x major-mode-setup

          will allow you to turn on 'C' indentation again this should restore what
          you had before. I'll make C mode the default and then leave the other
          method in for the 'Java pure' people.

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
            Thomas Hundt wrote:
            > Hold it. This release is unusable.
            >
            > Basic functionality has been broken:
            >
            > private static final Logger LOG =
            > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
            >
            > now comes out as
            >
            > private static final Logger LOG =
            > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
            >
            > and if-else statements come out as
            >
            > if (something)
            > do_something();
            > else
            > do_something_else();
            >
            > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
            > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
            > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
            > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
            > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
            > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
            > doing this, yes?)
            >
            > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
            > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
            >
            > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > -Th

            OK, here is the next one!

            This time the default mode of operation is the built in indentation with
            the bracket alignment disabled.

            Note that your history will likely be retained so you will have to
            reconfigure the major mode to return to some default using

            M-x major-mode-setup

            The defaults are:

            Brace Hilighting:OFF
            Enable Bracket Alignment:OFF (Enables old brace alignment)
            Alternative Indent Mode:OFF (Pure Java mode)

            I understand that neither method is ideal. With the 'C' type indent then
            there are issues with "@" statements. These are not present in the
            Alternative indent - but this then needs to be fully bracketed.

          • Bryan Schofield
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
              unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
              situtations needed.

              For example...

              if (true)
              continuedStatement();

              if (true) {
              indentedStatement();
              }

              if (true)
              {
              indentedStatement();
              }

              I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
              unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
              the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.

              indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t

              handles:

            • jon@jasspa.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                > unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                > situtations needed.
                >
                > For example...
                >
                > if (true)
                > continuedStatement();
                >
                > if (true) {
                > indentedStatement();
                > }
                >
                > if (true)
                > {
                > indentedStatement();
                > }
                >
                > I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                > unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                > the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.
                >

                > indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t
                >
                > handles:
                >
                > private static final Logger LOG =
                > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                Hi Bryan,

                We are aware of the short comings of the indentation. We have yet to come
                up with a better way of describing the indentation in terms of its
                grammer. At the moment we seem to do reasonably well with very little
                knowledge of the language in the template. All of the items that you have
                raised above require a little more information about the syntax in order
                to make them work properly. This is actually why C is burnt in because it
                is easier to handle it like this than coming up with all of the correct
                rules that are programmable.

                We have considered how we might express this, but so far have not come up
                with a sufficiently good way of minimally and generically describing the
                syntax of the target language for indentation.

                If anybody has any thoughts on how we can do this I would like to hear
                them because it is not trivial.

                Anybody looking for a Comp. Sci. project at University????

              • Bryan Schofield
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                  I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                  a little something to fix handling of Strings

                  indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                  indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                    Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                    argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                    whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                    be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                    is required.

                    indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if

                    define-macro java-check-if
                    ; @1 = line number
                    ; ...
                    set-variable $result true
                    !emacro
                  • jon@jasspa.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                      > I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                      > a little something to fix handling of Strings
                      >
                      > indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                      > indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                      OK Thanks,

                      As it turns out it looks like we need a patch to jst.etf so I can slip
                      this one in as well as they are both macro problems. Fortunately there are
                      no binary problems at the moment, but does mean that some of the packages
                      have to be re-built.

                      This is why one release per year is more than enough for us! As usual it
                      does look like there are some more sweeping changes in the pipeline that
                      will come fairly soon after the release on the development side however we
                      cannot afford to delay this release any longer because of the amount of
                      time it takes us to prove it is stable.

                      As an aside: In building the 2006 release I was forced back to 20050505 on
                      some platforms where I had not installed 2006 yet and was surprised by
                      some of the features that were missing (e.g. being able to delete
                      directories in the file browser, infact all of the file browser controls).
                      Obviously most users will not be aware of this but we have been using
                      these internally for the last year and miss them when they are not there -
                      hence we really cannot delay this release any more.

                    • jon@jasspa.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                        > Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                        > argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                        > whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                        > be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                        > is required.
                        >
                        > indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if
                        >
                        > define-macro java-check-if
                        > ; @1 = line number
                        > ; ...
                        > set-variable $result true
                        > !emacro

                        I think you are right.

                        I did try and prototype this type of schema about a year ago and got into
                        a real mess because of problems with the macro context (i.e. you are in a
                        macro that then calls back into native and then want to come out and run a
                        macro again) - anyway I ran out of time doing some other stuff. I do
                        believe that this is the way to go but have not found enough time to
                        follow it through to a conclusion and get it working.

                        The only problem with this type of scheme is if you mess up in your macro
                        the editor will die a horrible death - error recovery is likely to be
                        difficult.