Re: [jasspa] java indent and highligting

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
      Bryan Schofield wrote:
      > crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
      > delete the following:
      >
      > 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20

      Would you want to add this as well?
      Jon.

      ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
      ; continuation.
      indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
        Jon Green wrote:
        > Bryan Schofield wrote:
        >> crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
        >> delete the following:
        >>
        >> 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
        >>

        > Would you want to add this as well?
        > Jon.
        >
        > ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
        > ; continuation.
        > indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t

        A few more to add to that maybe?

        ; fix throws/implements/extends indent at start of line, typically a
        ; statement continuation.
        indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
        indent .indent.java s "^\\s*implements\\s" t
        indent .indent.java s "^\\s*extends\\s" t
      • Bryan Schofield
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
          I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
          keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
          Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace
          from around line 60
          hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
          to around line 131
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "virtual" .scheme.type

          ; annotations
          hilight .hilight.java 4 "@" "\\}\\W" "" .scheme.prepro
          ; constants: A_CONSTANT_VARAIBLE
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z_]+" .scheme.constant
          ; class names: AJavaClassName
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z]+[a-z]+\\w*" .scheme.type

          ; Java keywords
          ; The following conventions are used:
          ; .scheme.type primitive types
          ; .scheme.operator flow control keywords
          ; .scheme.prepro package declaration and imports
          ; .scheme.error reserved keywords that have not been implemented
          ; .scheme.keyword other java keywords that are not covered above
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "abstract" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "assert" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "boolean" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "break" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "byte" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "case" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "catch" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "char" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "class" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "const" .scheme.error ; reserved but
          not implemented in java
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "continue" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "default" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "do" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "double" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "else" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "enum" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "extends" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "false" .scheme.constant
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "final" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "finally" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "float" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "for" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "goto" .scheme.error ; reserved but
          not implemented
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "if" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "implements" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "instanceof" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "int" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "interface" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "long" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "native" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "new" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "null" .scheme.constant
          hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "package" .scheme.prepro
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "private" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "protected" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "public" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "return" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "short" .scheme.type
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "static" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "strictfp" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "super" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "switch" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "synchronized" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "this" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "throw" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "throws" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "transient" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "true" .scheme.constant
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "try" .scheme.operator
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "void" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "volatile" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.java 1 "while " .scheme.operator
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
            Bryan Schofield wrote:
            > I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
            > keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
            > Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace

            Thanks Bryan,

            I have re-worked hkjava.emf with all of the suggestions received to
            date. If you install this then delete the myjava.emf file (or rename to
            myjava-1.emf so that it is not picked up) and then execute the file (or
            restart the editor).

            This includes the token highlighting as suggested and the indent as
            suggested. The language template includes the new indent method and the
            existing 'C' method. The indent mode may be changed with
            esc-x major-mode-setup.

            I am proposing that this gets shipped with the next release. Is this OK
            with everybody? Does this solve the Java problems that people are
            experiencing?

            Thanks
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
              Hold it. This release is unusable.

              Basic functionality has been broken:

              private static final Logger LOG =
              Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

              now comes out as

              private static final Logger LOG =
              Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

              and if-else statements come out as

              if (something)
              do_something();
              else
              do_something_else();

              (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
              idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
              without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
              Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
              necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
              find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
              doing this, yes?)

              I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
              "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.

              Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.

              Regards,

              -Th

              Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                Thomas Hundt wrote:
                > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                >
                > Basic functionality has been broken:
                >
                > private static final Logger LOG =
                > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                >
                > now comes out as
                >
                > private static final Logger LOG =
                > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                >
                > and if-else statements come out as
                >
                > if (something)
                > do_something();
                > else
                > do_something_else();
                >
                > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                > doing this, yes?)
                >
                > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                >
                > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > -Th

                Hi Thomas,

                Thanks for the info and knee jerk reaction, just what I was looking for.

                M-x major-mode-setup

                will allow you to turn on 'C' indentation again this should restore what
                you had before. I'll make C mode the default and then leave the other
                method in for the 'Java pure' people.

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Thomas Hundt wrote:
                  > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                  >
                  > Basic functionality has been broken:
                  >
                  > private static final Logger LOG =
                  > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                  >
                  > now comes out as
                  >
                  > private static final Logger LOG =
                  > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                  >
                  > and if-else statements come out as
                  >
                  > if (something)
                  > do_something();
                  > else
                  > do_something_else();
                  >
                  > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                  > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                  > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                  > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                  > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                  > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                  > doing this, yes?)
                  >
                  > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                  > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                  >
                  > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > -Th

                  OK, here is the next one!

                  This time the default mode of operation is the built in indentation with
                  the bracket alignment disabled.

                  Note that your history will likely be retained so you will have to
                  reconfigure the major mode to return to some default using

                  M-x major-mode-setup

                  The defaults are:

                  Brace Hilighting:OFF
                  Enable Bracket Alignment:OFF (Enables old brace alignment)
                  Alternative Indent Mode:OFF (Pure Java mode)

                  I understand that neither method is ideal. With the 'C' type indent then
                  there are issues with "@" statements. These are not present in the
                  Alternative indent - but this then needs to be fully bracketed.

                • Bryan Schofield
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                    unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                    situtations needed.

                    For example...

                    if (true)
                    continuedStatement();

                    if (true) {
                    indentedStatement();
                    }

                    if (true)
                    {
                    indentedStatement();
                    }

                    I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                    unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                    the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.

                    indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t

                    handles:

                  • jon@jasspa.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                      > unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                      > situtations needed.
                      >
                      > For example...
                      >
                      > if (true)
                      > continuedStatement();
                      >
                      > if (true) {
                      > indentedStatement();
                      > }
                      >
                      > if (true)
                      > {
                      > indentedStatement();
                      > }
                      >
                      > I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                      > unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                      > the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.
                      >

                      > indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t
                      >
                      > handles:
                      >
                      > private static final Logger LOG =
                      > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                      Hi Bryan,

                      We are aware of the short comings of the indentation. We have yet to come
                      up with a better way of describing the indentation in terms of its
                      grammer. At the moment we seem to do reasonably well with very little
                      knowledge of the language in the template. All of the items that you have
                      raised above require a little more information about the syntax in order
                      to make them work properly. This is actually why C is burnt in because it
                      is easier to handle it like this than coming up with all of the correct
                      rules that are programmable.

                      We have considered how we might express this, but so far have not come up
                      with a sufficiently good way of minimally and generically describing the
                      syntax of the target language for indentation.

                      If anybody has any thoughts on how we can do this I would like to hear
                      them because it is not trivial.

                      Anybody looking for a Comp. Sci. project at University????

                    • Bryan Schofield
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                        I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                        a little something to fix handling of Strings

                        indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                        indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                          Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                          argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                          whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                          be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                          is required.

                          indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if

                          define-macro java-check-if
                          ; @1 = line number
                          ; ...
                          set-variable $result true
                          !emacro
                        • jon@jasspa.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                            > I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                            > a little something to fix handling of Strings
                            >
                            > indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                            > indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                            OK Thanks,

                            As it turns out it looks like we need a patch to jst.etf so I can slip
                            this one in as well as they are both macro problems. Fortunately there are
                            no binary problems at the moment, but does mean that some of the packages
                            have to be re-built.

                            This is why one release per year is more than enough for us! As usual it
                            does look like there are some more sweeping changes in the pipeline that
                            will come fairly soon after the release on the development side however we
                            cannot afford to delay this release any longer because of the amount of
                            time it takes us to prove it is stable.

                            As an aside: In building the 2006 release I was forced back to 20050505 on
                            some platforms where I had not installed 2006 yet and was surprised by
                            some of the features that were missing (e.g. being able to delete
                            directories in the file browser, infact all of the file browser controls).
                            Obviously most users will not be aware of this but we have been using
                            these internally for the last year and miss them when they are not there -
                            hence we really cannot delay this release any more.

                          • jon@jasspa.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                              > Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                              > argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                              > whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                              > be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                              > is required.
                              >
                              > indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if
                              >
                              > define-macro java-check-if
                              > ; @1 = line number
                              > ; ...
                              > set-variable $result true
                              > !emacro

                              I think you are right.

                              I did try and prototype this type of schema about a year ago and got into
                              a real mess because of problems with the macro context (i.e. you are in a
                              macro that then calls back into native and then want to come out and run a
                              macro again) - anyway I ran out of time doing some other stuff. I do
                              believe that this is the way to go but have not found enough time to
                              follow it through to a conclusion and get it working.

                              The only problem with this type of scheme is if you mess up in your macro
                              the editor will die a horrible death - error recovery is likely to be
                              difficult.