Re: [jasspa] java indent and highligting

  • jon@jasspa.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
      > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
      >
      > A little work to be done still... by me :)
      >
      > When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.

      I like this answer, that is good.

      Be aware we are very close to a final release cut which is likely to be
      complete in the next few days. There is a little more documentation to be
      fixed and then we will be finished for 2006 - the 2006 binraries have
      already been finalised and checked. Obviously we will issue post release
      patches if necessary - macros are not a problem but any source code
      changes are.

      Thanks
      Jon.
    • Bryan Schofield
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
        Yowza.... this was rather complicated, but I have an indentation
        scheme for java that seems to handle most things I could throw at it
        with the exceptions I noted. Below is my myjava.emf. If you find
        something that this doesn't work well with, please let me know and I
        will try to figure it out.
        Cheers
        -- bryan

        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
        ;
        ; Author : $Author$
        ; Created By : Bryan Schofield
        ; Created : Thu Sep 8 23:59:49 2005
        ; Last Modified : <061004.1659>
        ;
        ; Description
        ;
        ; Notes
        ;
        ; History
        ;
        ; Copyright (c) 2005 company.
        ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
        define-macro my-fhook-java
        ; override the default c-mode indentation scheme to use the revamped
        ; "simple" java indent scheme
        set-variable $buffer-indent .indent.java
        !emacro

        ; tweak standard c-mode indent to look a little better
        ; ... but this doesn't handle some things very well, like annotations
        set-variable .hilight.real-java &add .hilight.java 1
        indent .hilight.real-java "s" t
        indent .hilight.real-java "c" t
        indent .hilight.real-java "x" t
        indent .hilight.real-java "b" 0
        indent .hilight.real-java "e" t
        indent .hilight.real-java "w" 0
        indent .hilight.real-java "a" -t
        indent .hilight.real-java "m" -1
        indent .hilight.real-java "u" " * "

        ; Additional highlighting
        ; annotations
        hilight .hilight.java 4 "@" "\\}\\W" "" .scheme.prepro

        ; Override the simple java indentation scheme to handle more situations
        ; we'll also define a "java comment" indentation scheme, this will help
        ; with comment content from intefering with the code indentation.
        ;
        ; Indentation Limitation
        ; 1. Braceless conditionals are not handled. This is considered bad style
        ; by many, so use braces. Change
        ; if (true)
        ; foo();
        ; if (true) {
        ; foo();
        ; }
        ; 2. Continued lines are partially handled. Only lines that begin with
        ; "." and basic math operators except * which inteferes with comments
        ; are understood to be part of the previous line. For example:
        ; int x = foo
        ; .getThing()
        ; .getX()
        ; + 4;
        ;
        set-variable .indent.java-comm &pinc .hilight.next 1
        set-variable .indent.javaT &pinc .hilight.next 1

        0 indent .indent.java-comm 1 20
        0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
        0 indent .indent.javaT 1 500
        0 indent .indent.java 2 20 .indent.javaT

        ; standard braces
        indent .indent.java n "{" t
        indent .indent.java o "}" -t
        indent .indent.java n "(" 3/2t
        indent .indent.java o ")" -3/2t

        ; line continuation
        indent .indent.java s "^\\s*[\\.\\+-/%][^\\*/]" t

        ; switch to comment indentation mode
        indent .indent.javaT t "/\\*" .indent.java-comm
        indent .indent.java x "/\\*" 1 .indent.java-comm
        indent .indent.java-comm x "\\*/" -1 0
        indent .indent.javaT t "\\*/" 0
        indent .indent.java o "\\*/" -1

        ; ignore line comments
        indent .indent.java i "//"

        ; ignore anotations that are on a line by themselves
        indent .indent.java i "^\\s*@\\w+$"
        indent .indent.java i "^\\s*@\\w+\\s*(.+)$"

        ; fix switch/case statements
        indent .indent.java s "^\\s*case\\s[^:]+:" -t
        indent .indent.java s "^\\s*default\\s*:" -t

        On 10/4/06, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:
        > > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
        > >
        > > A little work to be done still... by me :)
        > >
        > > When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.
        > >

        > I like this answer, that is good.
        >
        > Be aware we are very close to a final release cut which is likely to be
        > complete in the next few days. There is a little more documentation to be
        > fixed and then we will be finished for 2006 - the 2006 binraries have
        > already been finalised and checked. Obviously we will issue post release
        > patches if necessary - macros are not a problem but any source code
        > changes are.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Bryan Schofield
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
          crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
          delete the following:

          0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
            Bryan Schofield wrote:
            > crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
            > delete the following:
            >
            > 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20

            That was quick! - Thanks Bryan
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
              Bryan Schofield wrote:
              > crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
              > delete the following:
              >
              > 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20

              Would you want to add this as well?
              Jon.

              ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
              ; continuation.
              indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                Jon Green wrote:
                > Bryan Schofield wrote:
                >> crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                >> delete the following:
                >>
                >> 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
                >>

                > Would you want to add this as well?
                > Jon.
                >
                > ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
                > ; continuation.
                > indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t

                A few more to add to that maybe?

                ; fix throws/implements/extends indent at start of line, typically a
                ; statement continuation.
                indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
                indent .indent.java s "^\\s*implements\\s" t
                indent .indent.java s "^\\s*extends\\s" t
              • Bryan Schofield
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                  I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
                  keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
                  Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace
                  from around line 60
                  hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
                  to around line 131
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "virtual" .scheme.type

                  ; annotations
                  hilight .hilight.java 4 "@" "\\}\\W" "" .scheme.prepro
                  ; constants: A_CONSTANT_VARAIBLE
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z_]+" .scheme.constant
                  ; class names: AJavaClassName
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z]+[a-z]+\\w*" .scheme.type

                  ; Java keywords
                  ; The following conventions are used:
                  ; .scheme.type primitive types
                  ; .scheme.operator flow control keywords
                  ; .scheme.prepro package declaration and imports
                  ; .scheme.error reserved keywords that have not been implemented
                  ; .scheme.keyword other java keywords that are not covered above
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "abstract" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "assert" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "boolean" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "break" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "byte" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "case" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "catch" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "char" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "class" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "const" .scheme.error ; reserved but
                  not implemented in java
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "continue" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "default" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "do" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "double" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "else" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "enum" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "extends" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "false" .scheme.constant
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "final" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "finally" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "float" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "for" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "goto" .scheme.error ; reserved but
                  not implemented
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "if" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "implements" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "instanceof" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "int" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "interface" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "long" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "native" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "new" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "null" .scheme.constant
                  hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "package" .scheme.prepro
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "private" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "protected" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "public" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "return" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "short" .scheme.type
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "static" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "strictfp" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "super" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "switch" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "synchronized" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "this" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "throw" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "throws" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "transient" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "true" .scheme.constant
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "try" .scheme.operator
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "void" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "volatile" .scheme.keyword
                  hilight .hilight.java 1 "while " .scheme.operator
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Bryan Schofield wrote:
                    > I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
                    > keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
                    > Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace

                    Thanks Bryan,

                    I have re-worked hkjava.emf with all of the suggestions received to
                    date. If you install this then delete the myjava.emf file (or rename to
                    myjava-1.emf so that it is not picked up) and then execute the file (or
                    restart the editor).

                    This includes the token highlighting as suggested and the indent as
                    suggested. The language template includes the new indent method and the
                    existing 'C' method. The indent mode may be changed with
                    esc-x major-mode-setup.

                    I am proposing that this gets shipped with the next release. Is this OK
                    with everybody? Does this solve the Java problems that people are
                    experiencing?

                    Thanks
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                      Hold it. This release is unusable.

                      Basic functionality has been broken:

                      private static final Logger LOG =
                      Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                      now comes out as

                      private static final Logger LOG =
                      Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                      and if-else statements come out as

                      if (something)
                      do_something();
                      else
                      do_something_else();

                      (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                      idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                      without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                      Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                      necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                      find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                      doing this, yes?)

                      I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                      "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.

                      Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.

                      Regards,

                      -Th

                      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                        Thomas Hundt wrote:
                        > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                        >
                        > Basic functionality has been broken:
                        >
                        > private static final Logger LOG =
                        > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                        >
                        > now comes out as
                        >
                        > private static final Logger LOG =
                        > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                        >
                        > and if-else statements come out as
                        >
                        > if (something)
                        > do_something();
                        > else
                        > do_something_else();
                        >
                        > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                        > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                        > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                        > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                        > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                        > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                        > doing this, yes?)
                        >
                        > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                        > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                        >
                        > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > -Th

                        Hi Thomas,

                        Thanks for the info and knee jerk reaction, just what I was looking for.

                        M-x major-mode-setup

                        will allow you to turn on 'C' indentation again this should restore what
                        you had before. I'll make C mode the default and then leave the other
                        method in for the 'Java pure' people.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                          Thomas Hundt wrote:
                          > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                          >
                          > Basic functionality has been broken:
                          >
                          > private static final Logger LOG =
                          > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                          >
                          > now comes out as
                          >
                          > private static final Logger LOG =
                          > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                          >
                          > and if-else statements come out as
                          >
                          > if (something)
                          > do_something();
                          > else
                          > do_something_else();
                          >
                          > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                          > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                          > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                          > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                          > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                          > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                          > doing this, yes?)
                          >
                          > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                          > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                          >
                          > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > -Th

                          OK, here is the next one!

                          This time the default mode of operation is the built in indentation with
                          the bracket alignment disabled.

                          Note that your history will likely be retained so you will have to
                          reconfigure the major mode to return to some default using

                          M-x major-mode-setup

                          The defaults are:

                          Brace Hilighting:OFF
                          Enable Bracket Alignment:OFF (Enables old brace alignment)
                          Alternative Indent Mode:OFF (Pure Java mode)

                          I understand that neither method is ideal. With the 'C' type indent then
                          there are issues with "@" statements. These are not present in the
                          Alternative indent - but this then needs to be fully bracketed.

                        • Bryan Schofield
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                            unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                            situtations needed.

                            For example...

                            if (true)
                            continuedStatement();

                            if (true) {
                            indentedStatement();
                            }

                            if (true)
                            {
                            indentedStatement();
                            }

                            I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                            unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                            the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.

                            indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t

                            handles:

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                              > unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                              > situtations needed.
                              >
                              > For example...
                              >
                              > if (true)
                              > continuedStatement();
                              >
                              > if (true) {
                              > indentedStatement();
                              > }
                              >
                              > if (true)
                              > {
                              > indentedStatement();
                              > }
                              >
                              > I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                              > unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                              > the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.
                              >

                              > indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t
                              >
                              > handles:
                              >
                              > private static final Logger LOG =
                              > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                              Hi Bryan,

                              We are aware of the short comings of the indentation. We have yet to come
                              up with a better way of describing the indentation in terms of its
                              grammer. At the moment we seem to do reasonably well with very little
                              knowledge of the language in the template. All of the items that you have
                              raised above require a little more information about the syntax in order
                              to make them work properly. This is actually why C is burnt in because it
                              is easier to handle it like this than coming up with all of the correct
                              rules that are programmable.

                              We have considered how we might express this, but so far have not come up
                              with a sufficiently good way of minimally and generically describing the
                              syntax of the target language for indentation.

                              If anybody has any thoughts on how we can do this I would like to hear
                              them because it is not trivial.

                              Anybody looking for a Comp. Sci. project at University????

                            • Bryan Schofield
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                                a little something to fix handling of Strings

                                indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                                indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                  Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                                  argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                                  whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                                  be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                                  is required.

                                  indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if

                                  define-macro java-check-if
                                  ; @1 = line number
                                  ; ...
                                  set-variable $result true
                                  !emacro
                                • jon@jasspa.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                    > I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                                    > a little something to fix handling of Strings
                                    >
                                    > indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                                    > indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                                    OK Thanks,

                                    As it turns out it looks like we need a patch to jst.etf so I can slip
                                    this one in as well as they are both macro problems. Fortunately there are
                                    no binary problems at the moment, but does mean that some of the packages
                                    have to be re-built.

                                    This is why one release per year is more than enough for us! As usual it
                                    does look like there are some more sweeping changes in the pipeline that
                                    will come fairly soon after the release on the development side however we
                                    cannot afford to delay this release any longer because of the amount of
                                    time it takes us to prove it is stable.

                                    As an aside: In building the 2006 release I was forced back to 20050505 on
                                    some platforms where I had not installed 2006 yet and was surprised by
                                    some of the features that were missing (e.g. being able to delete
                                    directories in the file browser, infact all of the file browser controls).
                                    Obviously most users will not be aware of this but we have been using
                                    these internally for the last year and miss them when they are not there -
                                    hence we really cannot delay this release any more.

                                  • jon@jasspa.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                      > Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                                      > argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                                      > whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                                      > be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                                      > is required.
                                      >
                                      > indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if
                                      >
                                      > define-macro java-check-if
                                      > ; @1 = line number
                                      > ; ...
                                      > set-variable $result true
                                      > !emacro

                                      I think you are right.

                                      I did try and prototype this type of schema about a year ago and got into
                                      a real mess because of problems with the macro context (i.e. you are in a
                                      macro that then calls back into native and then want to come out and run a
                                      macro again) - anyway I ran out of time doing some other stuff. I do
                                      believe that this is the way to go but have not found enough time to
                                      follow it through to a conclusion and get it working.

                                      The only problem with this type of scheme is if you mess up in your macro
                                      the editor will die a horrible death - error recovery is likely to be
                                      difficult.