Re: [jasspa] java indent and highligting

  • Bryan Schofield
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
      It's a start but not complete... the indentation still can't handle annotations.

      Consider how ME indents the following contribed method:

      @Deprecated
      @Test(expected=IllegalArgumentException.class)
      public <T extends Object> T
      ack(T aType,
      Foo foo)
      throws RuntimeException,
      IllegalArgumentException {
      return aType;
      }

      A little work to be done still.

      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
        Bryan Schofield wrote:
        > It's a start but not complete... the indentation still can't handle annotations.
        >
        > Consider how ME indents the following contribed method:
        >
        > @Deprecated
        > @Test(expected=IllegalArgumentException.class)
        > public <T extends Object> T
        > ack(T aType,
        > Foo foo)
        > throws RuntimeException,
        > IllegalArgumentException {
        > return aType;
        > }
        >
        > A little work to be done still.

        ... and, what is is supposed to look like?
        How should this indentation be performed?
        Are there any other problems with the indentation or is this the only issue?

        In order to fix this then we need examples of what is causing the
        problem (with as much surrounding context as possible) and the layout
        style that is required or expected i.e. how it is supposed to look. We
        only fix what we use or what is obvious but if this is not our primary
        file type then it only gets fixed when we are made aware of the problem
        through examples or when somebody else submits a solution to us.

        Thanks
        Jon.
      • Bryan Schofield
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
          Sorry, I should have been more clear...

          A little work to be done still... by me :)

          When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.

        • jon@jasspa.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
            > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
            >
            > A little work to be done still... by me :)
            >
            > When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.

            I like this answer, that is good.

            Be aware we are very close to a final release cut which is likely to be
            complete in the next few days. There is a little more documentation to be
            fixed and then we will be finished for 2006 - the 2006 binraries have
            already been finalised and checked. Obviously we will issue post release
            patches if necessary - macros are not a problem but any source code
            changes are.

            Thanks
            Jon.
          • Bryan Schofield
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
              Yowza.... this was rather complicated, but I have an indentation
              scheme for java that seems to handle most things I could throw at it
              with the exceptions I noted. Below is my myjava.emf. If you find
              something that this doesn't work well with, please let me know and I
              will try to figure it out.
              Cheers
              -- bryan

              ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
              ;
              ; Author : $Author$
              ; Created By : Bryan Schofield
              ; Created : Thu Sep 8 23:59:49 2005
              ; Last Modified : <061004.1659>
              ;
              ; Description
              ;
              ; Notes
              ;
              ; History
              ;
              ; Copyright (c) 2005 company.
              ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
              define-macro my-fhook-java
              ; override the default c-mode indentation scheme to use the revamped
              ; "simple" java indent scheme
              set-variable $buffer-indent .indent.java
              !emacro

              ; tweak standard c-mode indent to look a little better
              ; ... but this doesn't handle some things very well, like annotations
              set-variable .hilight.real-java &add .hilight.java 1
              indent .hilight.real-java "s" t
              indent .hilight.real-java "c" t
              indent .hilight.real-java "x" t
              indent .hilight.real-java "b" 0
              indent .hilight.real-java "e" t
              indent .hilight.real-java "w" 0
              indent .hilight.real-java "a" -t
              indent .hilight.real-java "m" -1
              indent .hilight.real-java "u" " * "

              ; Additional highlighting
              ; annotations
              hilight .hilight.java 4 "@" "\\}\\W" "" .scheme.prepro

              ; Override the simple java indentation scheme to handle more situations
              ; we'll also define a "java comment" indentation scheme, this will help
              ; with comment content from intefering with the code indentation.
              ;
              ; Indentation Limitation
              ; 1. Braceless conditionals are not handled. This is considered bad style
              ; by many, so use braces. Change
              ; if (true)
              ; foo();
              ; if (true) {
              ; foo();
              ; }
              ; 2. Continued lines are partially handled. Only lines that begin with
              ; "." and basic math operators except * which inteferes with comments
              ; are understood to be part of the previous line. For example:
              ; int x = foo
              ; .getThing()
              ; .getX()
              ; + 4;
              ;
              set-variable .indent.java-comm &pinc .hilight.next 1
              set-variable .indent.javaT &pinc .hilight.next 1

              0 indent .indent.java-comm 1 20
              0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
              0 indent .indent.javaT 1 500
              0 indent .indent.java 2 20 .indent.javaT

              ; standard braces
              indent .indent.java n "{" t
              indent .indent.java o "}" -t
              indent .indent.java n "(" 3/2t
              indent .indent.java o ")" -3/2t

              ; line continuation
              indent .indent.java s "^\\s*[\\.\\+-/%][^\\*/]" t

              ; switch to comment indentation mode
              indent .indent.javaT t "/\\*" .indent.java-comm
              indent .indent.java x "/\\*" 1 .indent.java-comm
              indent .indent.java-comm x "\\*/" -1 0
              indent .indent.javaT t "\\*/" 0
              indent .indent.java o "\\*/" -1

              ; ignore line comments
              indent .indent.java i "//"

              ; ignore anotations that are on a line by themselves
              indent .indent.java i "^\\s*@\\w+$"
              indent .indent.java i "^\\s*@\\w+\\s*(.+)$"

              ; fix switch/case statements
              indent .indent.java s "^\\s*case\\s[^:]+:" -t
              indent .indent.java s "^\\s*default\\s*:" -t

              On 10/4/06, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:
              > > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
              > >
              > > A little work to be done still... by me :)
              > >
              > > When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.
              > >

              > I like this answer, that is good.
              >
              > Be aware we are very close to a final release cut which is likely to be
              > complete in the next few days. There is a little more documentation to be
              > fixed and then we will be finished for 2006 - the 2006 binraries have
              > already been finalised and checked. Obviously we will issue post release
              > patches if necessary - macros are not a problem but any source code
              > changes are.
              >
              > Thanks

            • Bryan Schofield
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                delete the following:

                0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Bryan Schofield wrote:
                  > crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                  > delete the following:
                  >
                  > 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20

                  That was quick! - Thanks Bryan
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                    Bryan Schofield wrote:
                    > crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                    > delete the following:
                    >
                    > 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20

                    Would you want to add this as well?
                    Jon.

                    ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
                    ; continuation.
                    indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                      Jon Green wrote:
                      > Bryan Schofield wrote:
                      >> crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                      >> delete the following:
                      >>
                      >> 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
                      >>

                      > Would you want to add this as well?
                      > Jon.
                      >
                      > ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
                      > ; continuation.
                      > indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t

                      A few more to add to that maybe?

                      ; fix throws/implements/extends indent at start of line, typically a
                      ; statement continuation.
                      indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
                      indent .indent.java s "^\\s*implements\\s" t
                      indent .indent.java s "^\\s*extends\\s" t
                    • Bryan Schofield
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                        I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
                        keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
                        Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace
                        from around line 60
                        hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
                        to around line 131
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "virtual" .scheme.type

                        ; annotations
                        hilight .hilight.java 4 "@" "\\}\\W" "" .scheme.prepro
                        ; constants: A_CONSTANT_VARAIBLE
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z_]+" .scheme.constant
                        ; class names: AJavaClassName
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z]+[a-z]+\\w*" .scheme.type

                        ; Java keywords
                        ; The following conventions are used:
                        ; .scheme.type primitive types
                        ; .scheme.operator flow control keywords
                        ; .scheme.prepro package declaration and imports
                        ; .scheme.error reserved keywords that have not been implemented
                        ; .scheme.keyword other java keywords that are not covered above
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "abstract" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "assert" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "boolean" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "break" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "byte" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "case" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "catch" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "char" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "class" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "const" .scheme.error ; reserved but
                        not implemented in java
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "continue" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "default" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "do" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "double" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "else" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "enum" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "extends" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "false" .scheme.constant
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "final" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "finally" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "float" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "for" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "goto" .scheme.error ; reserved but
                        not implemented
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "if" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "implements" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "instanceof" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "int" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "interface" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "long" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "native" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "new" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "null" .scheme.constant
                        hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "package" .scheme.prepro
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "private" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "protected" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "public" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "return" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "short" .scheme.type
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "static" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "strictfp" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "super" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "switch" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "synchronized" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "this" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "throw" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "throws" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "transient" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "true" .scheme.constant
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "try" .scheme.operator
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "void" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "volatile" .scheme.keyword
                        hilight .hilight.java 1 "while " .scheme.operator
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                          Bryan Schofield wrote:
                          > I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
                          > keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
                          > Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace

                          Thanks Bryan,

                          I have re-worked hkjava.emf with all of the suggestions received to
                          date. If you install this then delete the myjava.emf file (or rename to
                          myjava-1.emf so that it is not picked up) and then execute the file (or
                          restart the editor).

                          This includes the token highlighting as suggested and the indent as
                          suggested. The language template includes the new indent method and the
                          existing 'C' method. The indent mode may be changed with
                          esc-x major-mode-setup.

                          I am proposing that this gets shipped with the next release. Is this OK
                          with everybody? Does this solve the Java problems that people are
                          experiencing?

                          Thanks
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                            Hold it. This release is unusable.

                            Basic functionality has been broken:

                            private static final Logger LOG =
                            Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                            now comes out as

                            private static final Logger LOG =
                            Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                            and if-else statements come out as

                            if (something)
                            do_something();
                            else
                            do_something_else();

                            (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                            idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                            without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                            Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                            necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                            find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                            doing this, yes?)

                            I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                            "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.

                            Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.

                            Regards,

                            -Th

                            Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                              Thomas Hundt wrote:
                              > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                              >
                              > Basic functionality has been broken:
                              >
                              > private static final Logger LOG =
                              > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                              >
                              > now comes out as
                              >
                              > private static final Logger LOG =
                              > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                              >
                              > and if-else statements come out as
                              >
                              > if (something)
                              > do_something();
                              > else
                              > do_something_else();
                              >
                              > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                              > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                              > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                              > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                              > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                              > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                              > doing this, yes?)
                              >
                              > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                              > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                              >
                              > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              >
                              > -Th

                              Hi Thomas,

                              Thanks for the info and knee jerk reaction, just what I was looking for.

                              M-x major-mode-setup

                              will allow you to turn on 'C' indentation again this should restore what
                              you had before. I'll make C mode the default and then leave the other
                              method in for the 'Java pure' people.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                Thomas Hundt wrote:
                                > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                                >
                                > Basic functionality has been broken:
                                >
                                > private static final Logger LOG =
                                > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                                >
                                > now comes out as
                                >
                                > private static final Logger LOG =
                                > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                                >
                                > and if-else statements come out as
                                >
                                > if (something)
                                > do_something();
                                > else
                                > do_something_else();
                                >
                                > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                                > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                                > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                                > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                                > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                                > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                                > doing this, yes?)
                                >
                                > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                                > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                                >
                                > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > -Th

                                OK, here is the next one!

                                This time the default mode of operation is the built in indentation with
                                the bracket alignment disabled.

                                Note that your history will likely be retained so you will have to
                                reconfigure the major mode to return to some default using

                                M-x major-mode-setup

                                The defaults are:

                                Brace Hilighting:OFF
                                Enable Bracket Alignment:OFF (Enables old brace alignment)
                                Alternative Indent Mode:OFF (Pure Java mode)

                                I understand that neither method is ideal. With the 'C' type indent then
                                there are issues with "@" statements. These are not present in the
                                Alternative indent - but this then needs to be fully bracketed.

                              • Bryan Schofield
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                  unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                                  situtations needed.

                                  For example...

                                  if (true)
                                  continuedStatement();

                                  if (true) {
                                  indentedStatement();
                                  }

                                  if (true)
                                  {
                                  indentedStatement();
                                  }

                                  I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                                  unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                                  the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.

                                  indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t

                                  handles:

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                    > unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                                    > situtations needed.
                                    >
                                    > For example...
                                    >
                                    > if (true)
                                    > continuedStatement();
                                    >
                                    > if (true) {
                                    > indentedStatement();
                                    > }
                                    >
                                    > if (true)
                                    > {
                                    > indentedStatement();
                                    > }
                                    >
                                    > I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                                    > unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                                    > the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.
                                    >

                                    > indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t
                                    >
                                    > handles:
                                    >
                                    > private static final Logger LOG =
                                    > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                                    Hi Bryan,

                                    We are aware of the short comings of the indentation. We have yet to come
                                    up with a better way of describing the indentation in terms of its
                                    grammer. At the moment we seem to do reasonably well with very little
                                    knowledge of the language in the template. All of the items that you have
                                    raised above require a little more information about the syntax in order
                                    to make them work properly. This is actually why C is burnt in because it
                                    is easier to handle it like this than coming up with all of the correct
                                    rules that are programmable.

                                    We have considered how we might express this, but so far have not come up
                                    with a sufficiently good way of minimally and generically describing the
                                    syntax of the target language for indentation.

                                    If anybody has any thoughts on how we can do this I would like to hear
                                    them because it is not trivial.

                                    Anybody looking for a Comp. Sci. project at University????

                                  • Bryan Schofield
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                      I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                                      a little something to fix handling of Strings

                                      indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                                      indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                        Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                                        argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                                        whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                                        be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                                        is required.

                                        indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if

                                        define-macro java-check-if
                                        ; @1 = line number
                                        ; ...
                                        set-variable $result true
                                        !emacro
                                      • jon@jasspa.com
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                          > I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                                          > a little something to fix handling of Strings
                                          >
                                          > indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                                          > indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                                          OK Thanks,

                                          As it turns out it looks like we need a patch to jst.etf so I can slip
                                          this one in as well as they are both macro problems. Fortunately there are
                                          no binary problems at the moment, but does mean that some of the packages
                                          have to be re-built.

                                          This is why one release per year is more than enough for us! As usual it
                                          does look like there are some more sweeping changes in the pipeline that
                                          will come fairly soon after the release on the development side however we
                                          cannot afford to delay this release any longer because of the amount of
                                          time it takes us to prove it is stable.

                                          As an aside: In building the 2006 release I was forced back to 20050505 on
                                          some platforms where I had not installed 2006 yet and was surprised by
                                          some of the features that were missing (e.g. being able to delete
                                          directories in the file browser, infact all of the file browser controls).
                                          Obviously most users will not be aware of this but we have been using
                                          these internally for the last year and miss them when they are not there -
                                          hence we really cannot delay this release any more.

                                        • jon@jasspa.com
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                            > Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                                            > argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                                            > whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                                            > be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                                            > is required.
                                            >
                                            > indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if
                                            >
                                            > define-macro java-check-if
                                            > ; @1 = line number
                                            > ; ...
                                            > set-variable $result true
                                            > !emacro

                                            I think you are right.

                                            I did try and prototype this type of schema about a year ago and got into
                                            a real mess because of problems with the macro context (i.e. you are in a
                                            macro that then calls back into native and then want to come out and run a
                                            macro again) - anyway I ran out of time doing some other stuff. I do
                                            believe that this is the way to go but have not found enough time to
                                            follow it through to a conclusion and get it working.

                                            The only problem with this type of scheme is if you mess up in your macro
                                            the editor will die a horrible death - error recovery is likely to be
                                            difficult.