Re: [jasspa] java indent and highligting

    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
      Thomas Hundt wrote:
      > Thanks! That's awesome.
      >
      > Here are some other things to add:
      >
      > hilight .hilight.java 1 "finally" .scheme.keyword
      > hilight .hilight.java 1 "implements" .scheme.type
      > hilight .hilight.java 1 "boolean" .scheme.variable
      > hilight .hilight.java 1 "true" .scheme.variable
      > hilight .hilight.java 1 "false" .scheme.variable
      >
      > -Th
      >

      > Bryan Schofield wrote:
      >> Ahh.. mystery solved... 2006 uses 2 different indentations for java
      >> and real java files don't use "hilight.java" indent, they use
      >> "hilight.java + 1" indent... so the following fixes indent in 2006
      >>
      >> set-variable .hilight.real-java &add .hilight.java 1
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "s" t
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "c" t
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "x" t
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "b" 0
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "e" t
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "w" 0
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "a" -t
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "m" -1
      >> indent .hilight.real-java "u" " * "

      OK, being as you have just become our Java experts.
      Is this what we should set the default Java template to for the 2006
      distribution? (with the missing hilight keywords inserted of course).

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 3, 2006
        Steve, thanks for the explanation.

        -Th

        Steven Phillips wrote:
        > I sometimes wonder why Jon writes such good documentation when no one seems to
        > read them! I guess its to help me answer these questions :)
        >
        > To solve the problem properly you simply need to use the indent 'x' rule,
        > i.e. try adding the following line to your myjava.emf:
        >
        > indent &add .hilight.java 1 "x" 10
        >
        > Change the 10 to whatever you want the max to be. Or to use Bryan's method:
        >
        > set-variable .hilight.real-java &add .hilight.java 1
        > indent .hilight.real-java "x" 10
        >
        > The reason for the 2 indent schemes is for supporting the indentation of java
        > code within web pages, the build in C formatting cannot currently be used
        > for embedded code so a poor mans imitation must be used instead.
        >
        > Steve
        >
        >> Subject: [jasspa] java indent and highligting
        >> From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        >> Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2006, 8:29:17 PM
        >> To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
        >> My biggest gripe about Java indenting is how it handles things inside
        >> parentheses:
        >
        >> What I want:
        >> foo = new some_long_class_name(
        >> some_long_param);
        >
        >> What it insists on doing:
        >
        >> foo = new some_long_class_name(
        >> some_long_param);
        >
        >> Current bogus workaround -- move paren down:
        >
        >> foo = new some_long_class_name
        >> (some_long_param);
        >
        >> I think the indentation code is still in C, so it's hard to change.
        >> (Has this changed in the new version? There was a rewrite in the making.)
        >
        >> -Th
        >

        >> Bryan Schofield wrote:
        >>> Does anyone have java highlight and indent fixes that improve how java
        >>> 5 annotations and generics are handled?

      • Bryan Schofield
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
          It's a start but not complete... the indentation still can't handle annotations.

          Consider how ME indents the following contribed method:

          @Deprecated
          @Test(expected=IllegalArgumentException.class)
          public <T extends Object> T
          ack(T aType,
          Foo foo)
          throws RuntimeException,
          IllegalArgumentException {
          return aType;
          }

          A little work to be done still.

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
            Bryan Schofield wrote:
            > It's a start but not complete... the indentation still can't handle annotations.
            >
            > Consider how ME indents the following contribed method:
            >
            > @Deprecated
            > @Test(expected=IllegalArgumentException.class)
            > public <T extends Object> T
            > ack(T aType,
            > Foo foo)
            > throws RuntimeException,
            > IllegalArgumentException {
            > return aType;
            > }
            >
            > A little work to be done still.

            ... and, what is is supposed to look like?
            How should this indentation be performed?
            Are there any other problems with the indentation or is this the only issue?

            In order to fix this then we need examples of what is causing the
            problem (with as much surrounding context as possible) and the layout
            style that is required or expected i.e. how it is supposed to look. We
            only fix what we use or what is obvious but if this is not our primary
            file type then it only gets fixed when we are made aware of the problem
            through examples or when somebody else submits a solution to us.

            Thanks
            Jon.
          • Bryan Schofield
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
              Sorry, I should have been more clear...

              A little work to be done still... by me :)

              When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.

            • jon@jasspa.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
                >
                > A little work to be done still... by me :)
                >
                > When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.

                I like this answer, that is good.

                Be aware we are very close to a final release cut which is likely to be
                complete in the next few days. There is a little more documentation to be
                fixed and then we will be finished for 2006 - the 2006 binraries have
                already been finalised and checked. Obviously we will issue post release
                patches if necessary - macros are not a problem but any source code
                changes are.

                Thanks
                Jon.
              • Bryan Schofield
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Yowza.... this was rather complicated, but I have an indentation
                  scheme for java that seems to handle most things I could throw at it
                  with the exceptions I noted. Below is my myjava.emf. If you find
                  something that this doesn't work well with, please let me know and I
                  will try to figure it out.
                  Cheers
                  -- bryan

                  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
                  ;
                  ; Author : $Author$
                  ; Created By : Bryan Schofield
                  ; Created : Thu Sep 8 23:59:49 2005
                  ; Last Modified : <061004.1659>
                  ;
                  ; Description
                  ;
                  ; Notes
                  ;
                  ; History
                  ;
                  ; Copyright (c) 2005 company.
                  ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
                  define-macro my-fhook-java
                  ; override the default c-mode indentation scheme to use the revamped
                  ; "simple" java indent scheme
                  set-variable $buffer-indent .indent.java
                  !emacro

                  ; tweak standard c-mode indent to look a little better
                  ; ... but this doesn't handle some things very well, like annotations
                  set-variable .hilight.real-java &add .hilight.java 1
                  indent .hilight.real-java "s" t
                  indent .hilight.real-java "c" t
                  indent .hilight.real-java "x" t
                  indent .hilight.real-java "b" 0
                  indent .hilight.real-java "e" t
                  indent .hilight.real-java "w" 0
                  indent .hilight.real-java "a" -t
                  indent .hilight.real-java "m" -1
                  indent .hilight.real-java "u" " * "

                  ; Additional highlighting
                  ; annotations
                  hilight .hilight.java 4 "@" "\\}\\W" "" .scheme.prepro

                  ; Override the simple java indentation scheme to handle more situations
                  ; we'll also define a "java comment" indentation scheme, this will help
                  ; with comment content from intefering with the code indentation.
                  ;
                  ; Indentation Limitation
                  ; 1. Braceless conditionals are not handled. This is considered bad style
                  ; by many, so use braces. Change
                  ; if (true)
                  ; foo();
                  ; if (true) {
                  ; foo();
                  ; }
                  ; 2. Continued lines are partially handled. Only lines that begin with
                  ; "." and basic math operators except * which inteferes with comments
                  ; are understood to be part of the previous line. For example:
                  ; int x = foo
                  ; .getThing()
                  ; .getX()
                  ; + 4;
                  ;
                  set-variable .indent.java-comm &pinc .hilight.next 1
                  set-variable .indent.javaT &pinc .hilight.next 1

                  0 indent .indent.java-comm 1 20
                  0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
                  0 indent .indent.javaT 1 500
                  0 indent .indent.java 2 20 .indent.javaT

                  ; standard braces
                  indent .indent.java n "{" t
                  indent .indent.java o "}" -t
                  indent .indent.java n "(" 3/2t
                  indent .indent.java o ")" -3/2t

                  ; line continuation
                  indent .indent.java s "^\\s*[\\.\\+-/%][^\\*/]" t

                  ; switch to comment indentation mode
                  indent .indent.javaT t "/\\*" .indent.java-comm
                  indent .indent.java x "/\\*" 1 .indent.java-comm
                  indent .indent.java-comm x "\\*/" -1 0
                  indent .indent.javaT t "\\*/" 0
                  indent .indent.java o "\\*/" -1

                  ; ignore line comments
                  indent .indent.java i "//"

                  ; ignore anotations that are on a line by themselves
                  indent .indent.java i "^\\s*@\\w+$"
                  indent .indent.java i "^\\s*@\\w+\\s*(.+)$"

                  ; fix switch/case statements
                  indent .indent.java s "^\\s*case\\s[^:]+:" -t
                  indent .indent.java s "^\\s*default\\s*:" -t

                  On 10/4/06, jon@... <jon@...> wrote:
                  > > Sorry, I should have been more clear...
                  > >
                  > > A little work to be done still... by me :)
                  > >
                  > > When I get it worked out, I'll submit a patch.
                  > >

                  > I like this answer, that is good.
                  >
                  > Be aware we are very close to a final release cut which is likely to be
                  > complete in the next few days. There is a little more documentation to be
                  > fixed and then we will be finished for 2006 - the 2006 binraries have
                  > already been finalised and checked. Obviously we will issue post release
                  > patches if necessary - macros are not a problem but any source code
                  > changes are.
                  >
                  > Thanks

                • Bryan Schofield
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                    crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                    delete the following:

                    0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                      Bryan Schofield wrote:
                      > crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                      > delete the following:
                      >
                      > 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20

                      That was quick! - Thanks Bryan
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                        Bryan Schofield wrote:
                        > crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                        > delete the following:
                        >
                        > 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20

                        Would you want to add this as well?
                        Jon.

                        ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
                        ; continuation.
                        indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 4, 2006
                          Jon Green wrote:
                          > Bryan Schofield wrote:
                          >> crap... I pasted in a line accidentally...
                          >> delete the following:
                          >>
                          >> 0 indent .indent.java-enum 1 20
                          >>

                          > Would you want to add this as well?
                          > Jon.
                          >
                          > ; fix throws indent at start of line, typically a statement
                          > ; continuation.
                          > indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t

                          A few more to add to that maybe?

                          ; fix throws/implements/extends indent at start of line, typically a
                          ; statement continuation.
                          indent .indent.java s "^\\s*throws\\s" t
                          indent .indent.java s "^\\s*implements\\s" t
                          indent .indent.java s "^\\s*extends\\s" t
                        • Bryan Schofield
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                            I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
                            keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
                            Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace
                            from around line 60
                            hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
                            to around line 131
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "virtual" .scheme.type

                            ; annotations
                            hilight .hilight.java 4 "@" "\\}\\W" "" .scheme.prepro
                            ; constants: A_CONSTANT_VARAIBLE
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z_]+" .scheme.constant
                            ; class names: AJavaClassName
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "[A-Z]+[a-z]+\\w*" .scheme.type

                            ; Java keywords
                            ; The following conventions are used:
                            ; .scheme.type primitive types
                            ; .scheme.operator flow control keywords
                            ; .scheme.prepro package declaration and imports
                            ; .scheme.error reserved keywords that have not been implemented
                            ; .scheme.keyword other java keywords that are not covered above
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "abstract" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "assert" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "boolean" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "break" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "byte" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "case" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "catch" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "char" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "class" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "const" .scheme.error ; reserved but
                            not implemented in java
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "continue" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "default" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "do" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "double" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "else" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "enum" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "extends" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "false" .scheme.constant
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "final" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "finally" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "float" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "for" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "goto" .scheme.error ; reserved but
                            not implemented
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "if" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "implements" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "import" .scheme.prepro
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "instanceof" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "int" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "interface" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "long" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "native" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "new" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "null" .scheme.constant
                            hilight .hilight.java 0x12 "package" .scheme.prepro
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "private" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "protected" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "public" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "return" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "short" .scheme.type
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "static" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "strictfp" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "super" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "switch" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "synchronized" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "this" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "throw" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "throws" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "transient" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "true" .scheme.constant
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "try" .scheme.operator
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "void" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "volatile" .scheme.keyword
                            hilight .hilight.java 1 "while " .scheme.operator
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                              Bryan Schofield wrote:
                              > I took a look at the java hilighting. It was missing some java
                              > keywords and it had a bunch of c keywords that don't really apply.
                              > Below is a suggestion for hilighting. In hkjava.emf if you replace

                              Thanks Bryan,

                              I have re-worked hkjava.emf with all of the suggestions received to
                              date. If you install this then delete the myjava.emf file (or rename to
                              myjava-1.emf so that it is not picked up) and then execute the file (or
                              restart the editor).

                              This includes the token highlighting as suggested and the indent as
                              suggested. The language template includes the new indent method and the
                              existing 'C' method. The indent mode may be changed with
                              esc-x major-mode-setup.

                              I am proposing that this gets shipped with the next release. Is this OK
                              with everybody? Does this solve the Java problems that people are
                              experiencing?

                              Thanks
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                Hold it. This release is unusable.

                                Basic functionality has been broken:

                                private static final Logger LOG =
                                Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                                now comes out as

                                private static final Logger LOG =
                                Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                                and if-else statements come out as

                                if (something)
                                do_something();
                                else
                                do_something_else();

                                (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                                idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                                without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                                Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                                necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                                find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                                doing this, yes?)

                                I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                                "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.

                                Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.

                                Regards,

                                -Th

                                Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                  Thomas Hundt wrote:
                                  > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                                  >
                                  > Basic functionality has been broken:
                                  >
                                  > private static final Logger LOG =
                                  > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                                  >
                                  > now comes out as
                                  >
                                  > private static final Logger LOG =
                                  > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                                  >
                                  > and if-else statements come out as
                                  >
                                  > if (something)
                                  > do_something();
                                  > else
                                  > do_something_else();
                                  >
                                  > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                                  > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                                  > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                                  > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                                  > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                                  > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                                  > doing this, yes?)
                                  >
                                  > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                                  > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                                  >
                                  > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > -Th

                                  Hi Thomas,

                                  Thanks for the info and knee jerk reaction, just what I was looking for.

                                  M-x major-mode-setup

                                  will allow you to turn on 'C' indentation again this should restore what
                                  you had before. I'll make C mode the default and then leave the other
                                  method in for the 'Java pure' people.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 5, 2006
                                    Thomas Hundt wrote:
                                    > Hold it. This release is unusable.
                                    >
                                    > Basic functionality has been broken:
                                    >
                                    > private static final Logger LOG =
                                    > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                                    >
                                    > now comes out as
                                    >
                                    > private static final Logger LOG =
                                    > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);
                                    >
                                    > and if-else statements come out as
                                    >
                                    > if (something)
                                    > do_something();
                                    > else
                                    > do_something_else();
                                    >
                                    > (Bryan feels the whole world should have to put in braces, but --
                                    > idealism aside -- I know I'm going to be editing plenty of peoples' code
                                    > without all the braces where he would like them. It IS a legitimate
                                    > Java feature not to have to put in extra braces where they aren't
                                    > necessary, and having the editor properly indent them will allow one to
                                    > find out where one screwed it up, right? I mean that is why we are
                                    > doing this, yes?)
                                    >
                                    > I'm rather have it work the way it used to, minus any of the new
                                    > "improvements", if basic functionality like this goes out the window.
                                    >
                                    > Sorry, Jon. It was looking great there for a while, but this is too much.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    >
                                    > -Th

                                    OK, here is the next one!

                                    This time the default mode of operation is the built in indentation with
                                    the bracket alignment disabled.

                                    Note that your history will likely be retained so you will have to
                                    reconfigure the major mode to return to some default using

                                    M-x major-mode-setup

                                    The defaults are:

                                    Brace Hilighting:OFF
                                    Enable Bracket Alignment:OFF (Enables old brace alignment)
                                    Alternative Indent Mode:OFF (Pure Java mode)

                                    I understand that neither method is ideal. With the 'C' type indent then
                                    there are issues with "@" statements. These are not present in the
                                    Alternative indent - but this then needs to be fully bracketed.

                                  • Bryan Schofield
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                      unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                                      situtations needed.

                                      For example...

                                      if (true)
                                      continuedStatement();

                                      if (true) {
                                      indentedStatement();
                                      }

                                      if (true)
                                      {
                                      indentedStatement();
                                      }

                                      I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                                      unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                                      the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.

                                      indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t

                                      handles:

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 6, 2006
                                        > unfortunately, the indent syntax isn't powerful enough to describe the
                                        > situtations needed.
                                        >
                                        > For example...
                                        >
                                        > if (true)
                                        > continuedStatement();
                                        >
                                        > if (true) {
                                        > indentedStatement();
                                        > }
                                        >
                                        > if (true)
                                        > {
                                        > indentedStatement();
                                        > }
                                        >
                                        > I do not know how to tell indent that the next line is a continuation,
                                        > unless it is a "{". I can write indent rules to handle the first 2 or
                                        > the last 2 but not all 3 at the same time.
                                        >

                                        > indent .indent.java c "=\\s*$" t
                                        >
                                        > handles:
                                        >
                                        > private static final Logger LOG =
                                        > Logger.getLogger(PeakHourReportRunner.class);

                                        Hi Bryan,

                                        We are aware of the short comings of the indentation. We have yet to come
                                        up with a better way of describing the indentation in terms of its
                                        grammer. At the moment we seem to do reasonably well with very little
                                        knowledge of the language in the template. All of the items that you have
                                        raised above require a little more information about the syntax in order
                                        to make them work properly. This is actually why C is burnt in because it
                                        is easier to handle it like this than coming up with all of the correct
                                        rules that are programmable.

                                        We have considered how we might express this, but so far have not come up
                                        with a sufficiently good way of minimally and generically describing the
                                        syntax of the target language for indentation.

                                        If anybody has any thoughts on how we can do this I would like to hear
                                        them because it is not trivial.

                                        Anybody looking for a Comp. Sci. project at University????

                                      • Bryan Schofield
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                          I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                                          a little something to fix handling of Strings

                                          indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                                          indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                            Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                                            argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                                            whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                                            be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                                            is required.

                                            indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if

                                            define-macro java-check-if
                                            ; @1 = line number
                                            ; ...
                                            set-variable $result true
                                            !emacro
                                          • jon@jasspa.com
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                              > I see I missed the official release... but the java indentation needs
                                              > a little something to fix handling of Strings
                                              >
                                              > indent .indent.java e "\"" "\"" "\\"
                                              > indent .indent.java e "\'" "\'" "\\"

                                              OK Thanks,

                                              As it turns out it looks like we need a patch to jst.etf so I can slip
                                              this one in as well as they are both macro problems. Fortunately there are
                                              no binary problems at the moment, but does mean that some of the packages
                                              have to be re-built.

                                              This is why one release per year is more than enough for us! As usual it
                                              does look like there are some more sweeping changes in the pipeline that
                                              will come fairly soon after the release on the development side however we
                                              cannot afford to delay this release any longer because of the amount of
                                              time it takes us to prove it is stable.

                                              As an aside: In building the 2006 release I was forced back to 20050505 on
                                              some platforms where I had not installed 2006 yet and was surprised by
                                              some of the features that were missing (e.g. being able to delete
                                              directories in the file browser, infact all of the file browser controls).
                                              Obviously most users will not be aware of this but we have been using
                                              these internally for the last year and miss them when they are not there -
                                              hence we really cannot delay this release any more.

                                            • jon@jasspa.com
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 9, 2006
                                                > Perhaps you add in a hook to allow a function to specified as the last
                                                > argument in an indent rule. This function would return an indicator on
                                                > whether the indent rule should actually be applied. The function could
                                                > be passed the line number and do whatever language-specific analysis
                                                > is required.
                                                >
                                                > indent .indent.java c "if.*)\\s*$" t java-check-if
                                                >
                                                > define-macro java-check-if
                                                > ; @1 = line number
                                                > ; ...
                                                > set-variable $result true
                                                > !emacro

                                                I think you are right.

                                                I did try and prototype this type of schema about a year ago and got into
                                                a real mess because of problems with the macro context (i.e. you are in a
                                                macro that then calls back into native and then want to come out and run a
                                                macro again) - anyway I ran out of time doing some other stuff. I do
                                                believe that this is the way to go but have not found enough time to
                                                follow it through to a conclusion and get it working.

                                                The only problem with this type of scheme is if you mess up in your macro
                                                the editor will die a horrible death - error recovery is likely to be
                                                difficult.